Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
Closed Thread

Old 2007.05.01, 04:56 PM   #61
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I still haven't gotten around to pondering why the girl's story parallels the war story
Me neither, and because of this, I didn't think the movie was great. Somebody wanna explain? Pan's Labyrinth was a visual treat, but I thought the storyline couldn't complement the beautiful visuals.
Old 2007.05.01, 05:12 PM   #62
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I think this movie is in no point a fantasy movie. It's just a war drama. The girls just imagines all these things to distract and cope with the war. It makes a lot more sense this way. Not only as a story, but also as a movie.

MyAnimelist
Old 2007.05.01, 05:21 PM   #63
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Oh no, its certainly not a fantasy movie. Agreed, definately. Is it "really" about the war? I don't think so, I still think its definately about the girl, more over, a girl whose lost both her parents. (spoilers zomg)
Old 2007.05.01, 08:10 PM   #64
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

No, I don' think that it's about the war, too. It IS about the girl, but the setting is a war, so I would still call it war drama instead of only drama

MyAnimelist
Old 2007.05.02, 06:20 AM   #65
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

My problem with "Pan's Labyrinth" is that the girl was such a goody two-shoes. No, worse than that, she was a total blank slate. Had no personality except she was cute and nice. Lots of people in the theatre were crying at the end, probably cuz they could project themselves into this nothing character and felt like they were the ones being tragically victimized.

Terry Gilliam's "Tideland" was along the same lines, but the girl was much more believable there, a typical amoral demented kid. "Pan's Labyrinth" was a lot preachier about good vs. evil, which helped make it a success.
Old 2007.05.02, 07:23 AM   #66
freshevryday

freshevryday pleased at least somebody

I live Big Daddy and Fly Me To Polaris. Nana was good too.
Old 2007.05.02, 09:05 AM   #67
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
My problem with "Pan's Labyrinth" is that the girl was such a goody two-shoes. No, worse than that, she was a total blank slate. Had no personality except she was cute and nice. Lots of people in the theatre were crying at the end, probably cuz they could project themselves into this nothing character and felt like they were the ones being tragically victimized.

Terry Gilliam's "Tideland" was along the same lines, but the girl was much more believable there, a typical amoral demented kid. "Pan's Labyrinth" was a lot preachier about good vs. evil, which helped make it a success.
Well, a jaded cynical kid wouldn't be a very believable character in the story. I don't quite see how shes "goody-two shoes." Her mom's dying, she wants to save her. Shes stuck with a badcore step dad, I mean really. I think you start to forego your own attitude in the story. Plus, if we didn't
like her character, we'd exit the theatre. If shes a bad seed or too "off center" then with the bad guy, and all her fantasy stuff --we don't relate to her plot line at all.

Your second paragraph seems to imply you went in with the wong mindset about Pan's Labyrinth. It doesn't work with a demented kid. The only way it would is if you totally restructure it and confuddle the point the filmaker was trying to make, I assume.

EDIT: Typical amoral demented kid - ok. But if thats supposed to mean a typical kid is amoral and demented then you clearly went to a different school on a different part of town than me =P
Old 2007.05.02, 11:33 AM   #68
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by NIMH Rat View Post
Hmm, I didn't think she was a goody two-shoes. I can remember one good example of her revealing another side to her by giving into temptation, which really annoyed me and scared the heck out of me. @_@;; But she did have good morals, which I don't think is the same as being a goody two-shoes. (I didn't feel like she was trying to impress anyone.) And like TJ said, she was in a tough situation.
Old 2007.05.05, 05:12 PM   #69
Tokyo Jihad

The other day I got a hankering for a very special certain movie. SO I popped it in and came to the thunderous conclusion that it MUST be my favorite movie behind Back To the Future.

I ruuuv this movie. I remember the first time I saw it, I had class the next morning and I couldn't sleep. Turned on the tv around midnight, flipped through the movie channels and..."wtf, is that Natalie Portman as a little girl??" Now I always had a preference for Natalie Portman, so I watched it. The film that followed, left me in such a state that only one emoticon can truly express:

There be no "goody two-shoes" problems in this flick!

So I stayed up til 2 to watch it, totally in awe of the thing. And the next day I'm sure I was belligerent upon my friends as I no doubt babbled on-and-on about the flick.

Any movie where you give a little girl a gun and teach her to shoot people (even if she doesn't actually kill anyone, =( ) is a "brilliant" film in any page of my book.
Old 2007.05.05, 05:24 PM   #70
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

^ That movie is referenced in Johnnie To's Fulltime Killer.