Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.12.05, 06:31 PM   #21
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

You've been holding out on me with Sayuko Nano dg....I'm kinda pissed
Old 2015.12.06, 03:21 PM   #22
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by s3r3nity View Post
You've been holding out on me with Sayuko Nano dg....I'm kinda pissed
To be fair, I did mention on here a while back, but everyone was too busy going on about whatever costume Ringo was wearing at the time :-p

7. Maron Hamada- Seijuku no Marble

Maron Hamada's follow up to her debut is tighter, more focused, sexier and rocks harder. Songs are groovy as hell and there's a surprising amount of variety here, regarding how determined she is on delivering her trademark cabaret shtick. The great thing about it, is while this can often come across as cheesy, Hamada really does wear her hearts on her sleeve and delivers a genuine performance here- and it's utterly compelling to listen to.

It has some truly killer singles leading into it, and the album material is just as good. It's easy to listen to from start to end and I'm more than happy to listen to Hamada croon and wail her way through this breathtaking showcase of tunes. Production is punchy and on point, instrumentation is impeccable. The album burns like wildfire, and it's easily one of the most exciting releases you will come across this year. It's also one of the most rewarding and has a high replay value- so that really makes it all the more appealing.

While it does have some material that is older in it, it's easily forgiven, hell, almost forgotten, because it really blends in so well with the rest. I would have liked to have said something about the vinyl version (which has a different end track), but unfortunately, it's release date keeps getting pushed back and I still haven't had chance to hear and decide which has the better closing track.

Ultimately though, if you're into this kinda thing (and you really SHOULD be if you are on EMF), or just want something truly sexy and fierce, do yourself a favor and snag this one up!

Hamada

I wrote a longer, more detailed review here if you want to know more.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.12.06 at 03:35 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.06, 04:07 PM   #23
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

6. YAMP KOLT- Chewing

Producer YAMP KOLT's 2015 album is as colorful as the album cover suggests. A delightful array of instruments, electronics and guest vocals all build to one of the most unforgettable listens of the year. Production is as bright and bubbly as the rest and it's a true treat to listen to. Mixing a hearty dose of the traditional with the modern, Chewing will require multiple listens to fully ingest. But the time and patience put in will truly pay off- and you will be glad to have this gem in your life.

The guest vocals are all really suiting- whether it be the haunting UA or the cute-but-always-poignant Etsuko Yakushimaru (of Soutaiseiriron fame- Jihad you will no doubt be interested), nothing here feels out of place or bloated. Sure, many songs are indulgent and 'huge' (for lack of better descriptive word) but never, ever does anything sound unneeded or kitschy. A great sense of passion and care trickle through all tracks and a lot of effort has been put into the album playing as a whole piece, although tracks are easy to play by themselves.

I imagine many lists this year will likely have this one on it- I have seen a lot of talk about this album around the place- and it seems whoever come in contact with it fall under its spell. It's compelling, and is not something you can simply put on as background music. Multifaceted and extraordinary, YAMP KOLT's CHEWING is where it's at in Japanese Experimental Pop this year. Just prepare to be consumed by it.

YAMP KOLT
Old 2015.12.06, 04:09 PM   #24
deadgrandma

Well then. Hope you're enjoying it so far. Now onto the exciting part (and also the hardest part), the top 5!

But first here's some special mentions that I really enjoyed but don't quite make the cut. Believe me some of these were EXCRUCIATING to cut out, especially knowing how much I've talked about certain ones:

Mayumi Kaneko- Hajimaru Magical:
A sweet, eclectic and interesting mix of songs that is pretty rewarding. Just didn't revisit enough to put on this list
Parupunte- Primitive:- It kills me to leave this off, as I did get a lot of love from it, however, misses the cut because as a whole, the album just isn't as strong as some of the others on the list
Phew- A New World: At first I thought this was going to be a last minute contender- it's really damn neat album, though that said, I don't see myself listening to it heaps in the future
Hirone Chan- Kimi no Shiin ni Naritaina: A really cute folky album with idol elements. But it's just not Seiko Oomori :-p
Charisma.com- O'Lest:- left off for obvious reasons- however, that's not to say I HATE it or anything. Just not strong enough to make the list.
Boris- New Noise Literacy project:- A series of albums that are essentially noise experiements. All of them are great as a hardcore fan, but they're not really something I'd recommend on a top album list.
Anna Von Hausswolff- The Miraculous: Another album that kills me to leave off, but I just don't imagine seeing myself spending as much time with it as some of the other material on here. However, was thinking of tying it with Sunn O)))'s at first.
Wildthrone- Harvest of Darkness: Great album, strong Mars Volta gap filler, but not something I'm finding myself go back to
Iron Maiden- The Book of Souls: Despite its stronger moments and nice riffs, this album is too long to bare in one sitting.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.12.06 at 04:36 PM.
Old 2015.12.06, 05:03 PM   #25
deadgrandma

5. Never Young Beach- YOSHINOKI HOUSE

I discovered Never Young Beach early this year and to my surprise, their album has stuck with me- I constantly go back to it and always thoroughly enjoy it. There's just something hypnotic about this band's blend of Surf Rock that I still can't get over being this into (I have never really enjoyed any surf rock before this). Maybe it's just the down to earth approach and indie sensibilities/charm that has won me over -it often reminds me of the early days of discovering The Shins (I can feel those eyes rolling now- DAMN YOU ZACH BRAFF!)- but there's just something magical about this whole release that I haven't been able to shake off.

The band play with a chilled out, sloppy and relaxed approach that is utterly intoxicating. It's all produced so nicely, it's really heartwarming and feels just right. I'm not usually a fan of Japanese male vocalists (I have my reasons) but the vocals here are never too showy, and suit the music really well. There really isn't a dud track on the whole album- and it's served as both full frontal listening and background music for me many times all year. It's just something light (yet still poignant) and breezy to put on at any time, anywhere. It's charming as fuck and it's one of the major highlights for me all year. I highly recommend to everyone. The best album you likely missed.

never young beach
Old 2015.12.06, 05:28 PM   #26
deadgrandma

4. Seiko Oomori and the Pink Tokarev- Tokarev

Yeah. It was gonna be on here. It's fucking Seiko Oomori :-p

The first and last album to be released by Seiko Oomori's live band since 2009, TOKAREV was one of the biggest treats this year. For a while, I mainly listened to it as another great, but not essential addition to Oomori catalog. However, lately, it has been dawning on me how special this album actually is. It takes A LOT of skill to capture the essence of a band who's main strength came through in live performances- however, they've done a pretty smashing job right here. Sure it may not be a fully new album (though it does have some unique songs to it) but DAMN some of these renditions COOK.

It's hard as an Oomori fan not to get emotionally overwhelmed by some of the renditions here- Oomori really puts her all into it. It also has the most INSANE FUCKING VOCAL PERFORMANCE by Oomori ever on it- in the form of "Mikan no Uta". She rips the ceiling off here- and it's yet another moment for me that solidifies her as the most exciting artist currently performing in Japan. The new song "Ryori Cho no Ongaku wa Butaniku no Yakeru Otodata (I have no doubt butchered that romaji)" is a charming ditty that I have come back to many times this year- it's cute and breezy and has some really nice instrumentation from the band. "Wonderful World's End" appears for the first time in studio form and it's one of Oomori's greatest, most heartfelt ballads yet.

To quickly touch on the older songs re-recorded here- they are damn great. They rock harder than ever before and some probably surpass their original counterpart- the best example of this is "Shoujo 3 Go"- while the original is still one of my favorite tracks from Zettai Shoujo- the amount of oomph added on the Tokarev version elevates that particular tune to new, extreme heights. "Saishu Koen's" new rendition is a pained, hard hitting and spine chilling affair- and serves as a great sendoff track for the band that at this point were crumbling apart.

The album for me worked in an interesting way- I listened to it to the point of perhaps overkill on first release- by this point I was the insane Oomori fan you all know me as now- so I took a break from it. It was only when I came back from that break that I realized how truly potent the album is. It's not quite solo work level, but it's damn close. It makes me upset that this will likely be the last time we will see a release by this lineup, but it's definitely a work of true integrity.

So overall, it is indeed an essential addition to the catalog. It might also be a better starting point for newcomers than her solo work. It is also one of the best rock albums this year, not just in Japan but overall.

Tokarev

SPECIAL MENTION: MAGIC MIRROR

Oomori's other main studio work to be released this year was the solo single "Magic Mirror"- I have to mention this because I think it's not only her best song yet, but the best song of the year. The way it elevates Oomori to soaring new heights is mind-blowing. The chord progression and the breakdown in the middle (see at 3:52 in the PV below) crushed me the first time I heard it, lyrically it's extremely hard hitting- and the song is easily the track I listened to most this year. I can't think of any song that spoke stronger to me (as an individual track) and everyone should experience it:

Magic Mirror

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.12.06 at 05:40 PM.
Old 2015.12.06, 05:33 PM   #27
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

OK, at risk of being a bit of a jerk now...I've gotta admit that I've been anxiously waiting to see where Seijuku no Marble falls on the list, and...#7? I know it's your list, but for me, and IMO, for any Ringo fan...this seems a bit low. Maybe the new Sa Dingding should go above it...maybe. Or even Oomori, who I can respect but can't really get totally into. But Seijuku no Marble is hella tight and TBH it's the only thing in years I've enjoyed as much as Ringo...

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.12.06 at 05:45 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.06, 05:44 PM   #28
deadgrandma

Hey it's still in the top 10. I just can't say it's as good as what I have in the top 5. And my number 1 I've been pretty solid on for a very long time. Anyway. Tomorrow I'll post the top 3.
Old 2015.12.06, 05:53 PM   #29
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

No biggie. I hear what you're saying about it being a shtick...but damn, that album really clicked for me. It's just...so...right. Gotta give her props for that one. I can't really do the whole ranking thing personally, for me I either like it or not...but based on sheer replay value, she's top 3 for sure.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.12.06 at 05:59 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.06, 06:02 PM   #30
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Anna Von Hausswolff- The Miraculous: Another album that kills me to leave off, but I just don't imagine seeing myself spending as much time with it as some of the other material on here.
That's fair! I don't know where the ceiling on this album is yet.

Anna von Hausswolff certainly hasn't reached her own ceiling yet. She has Souretsu-caliber songs in her and I'm already eagerly hoping she can find one of them.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote