Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2007.09.21, 12:56 PM   #491
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post

4. Shiseikatsu
In this song Kameda was trying to capture the style of Shiina Ringo when she first made her debut, but he also wanted to give it a fresh sound. And here SR mentions her dilemma about whether she should continue her personal style in the band versus coming up with a totally new style. It's something that worries her all the time.
hey, someone on the inside is pulling for the SR fans!

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
13. Metro
In this song Ukigumo talks about his date. (At this point, my jaw dropped.) SR speculates that it's a lady. (so maybe Cloudy's not gay after all!) SR says this is the first time Ukigumo wrote such a long song about his date, and she finds it unpleasant/disgusting.
Good to know. Ringo is still speculating though, so she is suspicious and disgusted? harhar

Last edited by ShadyNook : 2007.09.21 at 01:01 PM.
Old 2007.09.21, 01:44 PM   #492
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
What a terrible review.
why, because he has a possible image of what "pop" can mean, which is the death sentence for all those out there who only listen to music that isn't "mainstream" "pop" or "conventional"

pop music can be really great and still artistic when done right. Look at Nelly Furtado (BEFORE LOOSE) on Folklore, or much of the popular music in Asia and Europe. Clearly the only place it sucks to be pop anymore is America. I'm happy to hear that it got good reviews because they have been saying forever that its a mixed bag of songs but are mostly more pop and fun.

and relating to the song interview, I looked to see if they actually referred to Killer Tune ever as a "masterpiece" and didn't see anything about it. It is hard because there is about 4 short paragraphs with quotes from the band for each song and that got condensed into a line or two. They might not have said those exact terms but the way they spoke pretty much says the same thing.
Old 2007.09.21, 01:49 PM   #493
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Pop music: Adult business
Maou says its terrible presumably because of the two contradictory lines he quoted and largely sweeping generalities.

Most interesting part: talking of "fears of sappiness" from the band by the fans. While he assuages it, just bringing it up at all means: the feeling is prevalent amongst the fans (or, EMF rules that much), or its prevalent in the music.'

\EDIT: and i wouldnt say "MUCH" of Asia or Europe's pop music is any more credible than american.
However, I am loving this sorta "reverse xenophobia" or "foreign elitism" fad thats sweeping the area. Its kinda fun =P

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.09.21 at 01:54 PM.
Old 2007.09.21, 02:17 PM   #494
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Pop music's not just for kids, you know.
"Variety" is perfect for pop kids of all ages.
What a terrible review.
How are they contradictory? The first statement says that pop music is for people of all ages, and the second statement says the exact same - that pop is for people of all ages. Both statements are in agreement.

I'm confused. XD
Old 2007.09.21, 02:34 PM   #495
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Maou says its terrible presumably because of the two contradictory lines he quoted and largely sweeping generalities.

Most interesting part: talking of "fears of sappiness" from the band by the fans. While he assuages it, just bringing it up at all means: the feeling is prevalent amongst the fans (or, EMF rules that much), or its prevalent in the music.'

\EDIT: and i wouldnt say "MUCH" of Asia or Europe's pop music is any more credible than american.
However, I am loving this sorta "reverse xenophobia" or "foreign elitism" fad thats sweeping the area. Its kinda fun =P
I think the sappiness thing was refferring to "Ramp" possibly leading you to believe that the rest of the album was going to be sappy.

As far as pop goes, I can't think of many pop acts here, but I think our mainstream is mostly dominated by RnB and hip-hop nonsense and "punk rock" bands. I don't think there is a truly sweeping pop act like say ayumi hamasaki (whether you think it's good or not, just sales-wise) here in America.

I do not like a lot of music from here in general, anyway. Most of the bands I like are from U.K or Japan. The only group that I REALLY love from the U.S. right now is The Strokes, or really old music like jazz or Frank Sinatra.
Old 2007.09.21, 11:44 PM   #496
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

So who's PUMPED for this album?
Old 2007.09.22, 12:15 AM   #497
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Considering that my CDJapan order is already "In Shipping Process" (earlier than I expected), yeah, I suppose I'm getting a bit anxious now. I don't imagine I'll actually have it in my hands until the 26th or the 27th in my own timezone, but still...

I sure hope Hatsukoi Shoujo isn't the very last song Shiina Ringo ever composes, and that Variety isn't the nails in the (hypothetical) coffin.
Old 2007.09.22, 03:44 AM   #498
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
"MUCH" of Asia or Europe's pop music is any more credible than american.
yeah that is right, I mean, ask me and just about anything is better than something that came out of Texas eyes closed, hands down, no questions asked.

and nothing is "sweeping the area," maybe if you've been abroad for any period of time you would see that people associate products more with the country and point of origin/name attached than the quality of the goods. It is as common as time and claiming that you are in some way not subject to it is pretty much claiming your immune from the entire American media system. Then again you are in Texas...
Old 2007.09.22, 06:05 AM   #499
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

sigh
Old 2007.09.22, 07:03 AM   #500
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
why, because he has a possible image of what "pop" can mean, which is the death sentence for all those out there who only listen to music that isn't "mainstream" "pop" or "conventional"
Since when do I not like pop music? Most of what I listen to can be considered mainstream, pop, and conventional. Really, I'd think if anybody would hate the album for that reason it'd be Tsuchiya. He's the one who preaches about how great being "unique" is.

Originally Posted by Op2 View Post
How are they contradictory? The first statement says that pop music is for people of all ages, and the second statement says the exact same - that pop is for people of all ages. Both statements are in agreement.
The first statement says it's not just for kids and the second statement says it's for kids of all ages. That's K-12, man.

The review was mostly fanboy drivel, didn't tell me why the album was great and the author didn't even spell Ukigumo's name right. Also, where's the jazz part of OSCA? I must've missed it the few times I listened to the song.