Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2013.06.14, 08:10 AM   #501
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Just got a new desktop with 2GB graphics card....can finally play all those games I bought off Steam cheap over the past....3 years? Like Left 4 Dead and Burnout Paradise. I know, welcome to 2008.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.14, 05:41 PM   #502
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

^My laptop's so old and decrepit I can't even run PSO or the majority of Humble Bundle stuffs and it struggles on everything else. Feels bad.

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I've been told I'm also a "casual" now because I only play my yearly installments on Pokemon, NBA 2k, and Nintendo franchises. Truth is, these days, I'd rather be cooking.
Truthfact. There just isn't enough time in the day to be a "hardcore" gamer anymore. I'm a grown-ass man, I got shit to do.

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I don't feel like going into it much, but put it this way... if Xbox 360 was Microsoft's Master of Puppets, then the Xbox One is their St. Anger (or Lulu even).
More like their Metallica v. Napster, Inc.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.14, 06:18 PM   #503
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

My first laptop (which has usurped my desktop as my main computer):
CPU: 2nd-gen Intel i7 2.0GHz quadcore, with 8 logical cores
GPU: nvidia GeForce GTX 560M 3GB

I'll have to see how that performs with Total War Rome 2, before deciding whether or not I need a newer laptop (with a 4th-gen i7, and a GeForce 7 series). It already gets the job done with Shogun 2.

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
I'm a grown-ass man, I got shit to do.
Yeah, pretty much.

I've been averaging about 10 hours per week.
What that really means, is on some weeks I play nothing at all, while on others I might play 20 hours.
Old 2013.06.15, 07:09 AM   #504
karateexplosion

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
I've been averaging about 10 hours per week.
What that really means, is on some weeks I play nothing at all, while on others I might play 20 hours.
Beats me. I've all but replaced gaming with drinking, film and reading junk online (not necessarily concurrent), as far as time-wasting activity goes. I purchase maybe, 2-3 titles a year at most.

That said, I do rather enjoy keeping up with it. Anything tech related, really.

In other news, someone call a doctor and bring me a first aid kit, 'cause the trailer for Dark Souls II is SICK.
Old 2013.06.15, 05:20 PM   #505
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I'm actually really, really interested in building my first PC. I have a laptop but it's pretty weak and I bought a bunch of games on Steam from bundles and sales that I can't really play well. (I can play most games, but my fan goes CRAZY loud and I think my CPU is probably getting too hot)
Only problem is that I'm cheap, and I don't really want to spend $600, let alone $800, on an enthusiast-class Desktop. But I figured that cheaping out will only lead to compromises, and that a more-expensive laptop has better performance per dollar value and will probably last longer (play games adequately longer)
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.15, 06:08 PM   #506
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

>$800 on an enthusiast Desktop

You should totally build a pc! Its fun and its easy and saves you in price/performance. I assume you want to play high end games, so I would wait and save until you can sink ~$6-800.
Old 2013.06.15, 07:07 PM   #507
karateexplosion

Yeah, with Jihad. Building yourself a desktop will get you better performance AND longevity than a comparably-priced laptop. After all, if something craps out (other than the motherboard) on a PC, you just replace/upgrade it and go on about your day. A part dies on your laptop that isn't the HDD or (maybe) RAM? Nine times out of ten the solution is buy a new laptop.
Old 2013.06.15, 07:43 PM   #508
TurtleFu

Oh absolutely. I know, in terms of getting the most performance for my dollar, building my own desktop is the way to go. The only question is: do I really want to spend $800 on something just to play more video games? After all, my laptop is capable of all the regular stuff I use it for (research, productivity, light video/photo editing)

I rarely take my laptop out of my house, simply due to its weight (it's almost 7 pounds). But I think having a laptop is still good, so when this one dies I would want another one. A desktop would literally be a luxury, not something I really need. (Of course, I could always just get a solid low-cost laptop to replace my current one and do most of my computing on a desktop, but I'm trying to reduce redundancy.)

I'm a bit weird in that I've gone back and forth from "Oh yeah, I'll build an AWESOME PC" to "OH shit, I can't spend $800 on a PC!" several times already. The draw of gaming power is tempting, but the sense that there are so many other things I should be spending my money on (or even saving my money for post-grad) is always there.

EDIT: At first I thought "Oh, I can take advantage of sales and probably build a dirt-cheap desktop with an overclocked AMD A10-6800K (Richland) but then I realized that with an extra $100 I could double my performance. The value sweet spot is clearly in the $800 range.

EDIT EDIT: And at the same time, I'm thinking now is the perfect time to do it. I'm young, I have enough free time to build a computer and play games. Once I start post-grad I won't have time to be a "hardcore" gamer and if I built a pc then I would have more money (probably) but less time to play.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2013.06.15 at 07:52 PM.
Old 2013.06.15, 08:39 PM   #509
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

You're right, Turtlefu, a high-end PC is a luxury item, but a few months' savings would cover it. I'm willing to bet you can save $20-50 a week by cutting back on the little luxuries of your day. In 3-4 months, you will have the funds for a PC that can play most games.

You'd have to fork over at least $1K to build yourself a mid-tier gaming PC, and about $1500 for near top-of-the-line. (No need to go higher unless you need a multiple-monitor setup and do intense video rendering/editing.)

If you're doing a lot of research, and your monitor isn't big enough, it's really hard. Is your laptop screen really big? Do you use a mouse? Speakers? All those peripherals make a researcher's life so much better.

God, after 2 years of using a teeny tiny little laptop screen to read PDFs in one window and type notes into a different window, and having the internet open in yet another window to check data, names, etc....I don't know how I did it without going crazy.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.06.15, 09:10 PM   #510
TurtleFu

Oh, I definitely would never spend more than $800 on a computer. That's bottom of high-end, but I would be able to run every game I want for several years and I've read articles that show how, at a certain point, the "high end" gpu and cpu give less performance per dollar. Things like running two graphics cards isn't appealing to me. I might want an SSD though, but that' ssomething that could be added in later

Oh definitely, one of my former jobs had a 2 monitor setup, it was so nice...

It depends on what you mean by "research". I mostly do reading scholarly articles and such. It would probably help to have a much better screen, but, whatever. My school has top of the line maxed out new iMacs that I use for my more advanced video/photo editing (which I only have to do as part of my classes anyways)

The snapping option on Windows 7 makes everything so much easier, but multi-monitors would definitely make things easier. I just don't think the extra cost is really worth it. I do use a mouse, yeah. I also have a laptop stand that has an extra fan in the back.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2013.06.15 at 09:46 PM.