Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News Upcoming releases, tours, TV spots, magazine appearances, et cetera. No posting threads allowed; instead, threads get moved in here from other places.

Old 2016.03.05, 04:57 PM   #1751
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
I've mentioned this before, the essence of Marunouchi is bright eyed youthfulness so it's a crime to turn that song into something you would hear at a senior's cruise buffet.
Interesting. I totally get that. But I've always thought Marunouchi Sadistic was about her career as a rock star, described through the metaphor of one exploring their sexuality. "Marshall no nioi de tonjatte," "Maiban zecchou ni tasshite iru," "Aokan de itte choudai," and so forth. So the jazz version sounds to me like the expression of a more more mature sexuality.
Old 2016.03.06, 11:43 PM   #1752
zee

zee pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
Fuji Rock Festival 2015.
Incorrect, this concert was the Rock in Japan Festival (I know definitively, because I was there!)
zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.03.07, 12:09 AM   #1753
zee

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
Thanks. Seems pretty shitty to show up to a ROCK festival with a parasol and 50s style bathing suit and sing some lounge jazz as well as a bunch of songs the audience doesn't know. I would have thrown something on stage.
This was Rock in Japan festival and unlike Fuji Rock all of the bands were Japanese. The audience knew almost all of these songs and Shiina was playing on the biggest stage there, in the early evening. Shiina's merchandise stand was completely sold out by lunch time, the only band whose merchandise stand sold out by that time.

Your observation of the lyrics is fair but personally I thought this performance of Maranouchi was sultry and very sexy and I loved her look. The first 4 songs from this concert -Maranouchi, Kabukichou, Tsumi to Batsu and Meisai were amazing. They used to be on youtube, if you haven't seen them. However the set list of this concert was actually quite diverse including some good guitar thrash too and a hiphop solo guest spot by the guy from Barbie Boyz.

As for the props and dress - I spent the whole day at this festival watching various Japanese bands that were recommended to me (including suffering some utter tripe like Perfume to scope out a good spot) and not one of them put half as much effort into props, dress and variation of set music and style that Shiina-san did (even accounting for my horrendous pro-Shiina bias). I didn't see any other bands rock up with a freakin' grand piano!
Sure, maybe she doesn't get it right every time but I prefer that to just getting up there and strumming a guitar like many others did that day. Everytime she gets up on stage it's a performance, not just me listening to some music.

But I don't want to start an argument - it's just my observations

Oh yeah and I agree NIPPON sucks!
Old 2016.03.07, 12:52 AM   #1754
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by zee View Post
Incorrect, this concert was the Rock in Japan Festival (I know definitively, because I was there!)
Sorry. The setup for Fuji looks really similar, at least in the video clips I have...
Old 2016.03.07, 12:54 AM   #1755
zee

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
Sorry. The setup for Fuji is really similar.
No need to apologise They were played one week apart and she and the band wore the same costumes. But the set list was different!
Old 2016.03.08, 12:12 PM   #1756
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by zee View Post
Your observation of the lyrics is fair but personally I thought this performance of Maranouchi was sultry and very sexy and I loved her look. The first 4 songs from this concert -Maranouchi, Kabukichou, Tsumi to Batsu and Meisai were amazing.
I'm glad you enjoyed it, these songs more sense, all I saw on youtube was Karisome Otome, Mittei Monogatari and some other blah song and it didn't seem right for the event. As for putting on a show and costume changes, I guess that's just a matter of personal taste, to me it just seems cringey to do at a rock festival.
Old 2016.03.08, 08:19 PM   #1757
zee

I think I would be more shocked if Shiina didn't have an elaborate costume and change it part through the show! It's just part of her act. Of course the crowd went beserk when she ripped off that white dress mid-song - they were expecting it too. Shame they didn't replay that on the TV broadcast.

I've found the broadcasted parts on youku.com. I know that youku is an insult to your ears but these clips seem to have been pulled from youtube and dailymotion. Part 1 & 2 are the aforementioned 4 songs.

Part 1
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM3NT...rom=s1.8-1-1.2
Part 2
Part 3
Old 2016.03.17, 02:11 PM   #1758
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Hey guys, whats this from?
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote