Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.05.11, 01:54 PM   #191
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Apple needs to stop calling the optical drives they sell "super".

There is nothing their optical drives can do, that somebody else's drives can't do at faster speeds, or higher accuracy at the same speed. I don't know if I would call a Macintosh's optical drives the worst, but they definitely aren't the best. Anybody who wants to do serious ripping, switches from a Mac to a custom-made PC. This is not solely because of software available outside of OSX, because you could install Windows XP on a newer Mac, and this won't change how average the Mac's optical drives are. Some people might like storing their music collection on a Mac, or listening to it on a Mac, or having their iTunes integrated with other convenient programs on OSX, but nobody ever switches from a PC to a Mac for ripping purposes. Yet there are people who switch from Mac to a custom PC for ripping purposes (cookie-cutter PCs tend to have optical drives just as about "super" as a Mac), even if they continue to use their Macintosh for everything else.
Old 2009.05.11, 02:05 PM   #192
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

its super because its a combo drive for their platform, it is how they distinguish it within their own systems. the imacs have always only had one drive, where as the G5 has had a few different drives, so they refer to the combo ones as super to distinguish and to upsell.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.11, 05:03 PM   #193
Arabesque

Arabesque pleased at least somebody

First post ahoy

Okay, so I just got this album yesterday and I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's all I've been listening to over and over again. It's the first Shiina Ringo I've heard and I'm pretty blown away by its brilliance, it's very rare for me to listen to an album on repeat like that unless its a new album by a band I already like a lot

So, I want to know where I should go from here, since she seems to be pretty prolific and has done a lot. Which album should I go for next?
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.11, 05:08 PM   #194
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Another Salyu/Lily Chou-Chou fan xD
Keep 'em coming =')

Anyway, you're probably going to get a shock, but grab either Shouso Strip or Muzai Moratorium. After listening to those 2 you'll have completed the Shiina Ringo path of glory so after that you're all set to listen to any of her other releases. That's what I think D:
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.11, 05:13 PM   #195
Arabesque

How do the rest of them compare to this album? I noticed a few people saying this is her best album by far, I'll be a little disappointed if I started with the best and it all goes downhill from here
Old 2009.05.11, 05:43 PM   #196
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Most importantly, KSK is VERY different from just about any music I really can't compare it to anything else, not even her other albums. While there was a certain progression from Muzai Moratorium to Shouso Strip, this had a different sound, it defies genre.
So I wouldn't really compare; let KSK stand on its own. I'd go for SS first since it's more sonically adventurous than MM was. Basically be prepared for guitars, they are prominent on those two.
All in all I don't think they're "worse" (SS especially) since they're so hard to compare with this one. They're still great music and that's what counts.
BTW I'm surprised this record is an instant love with people, I always thought it's a bit of a tough nut to crack. But that's only good
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.11, 05:47 PM   #197
Arabesque

I'm used to a lot weirder music. This record is definitely pretty experimental and diverse but it's still within the realms of catchy pop.
Old 2009.05.11, 07:05 PM   #198
monad

monad is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
How do the rest of them compare to this album? I noticed a few people saying this is her best album by far, I'll be a little disappointed if I started with the best and it all goes downhill from here
To me, the charm in most all of the rest of her albums is that she takes more or less conventional pop or jazz-pop songs, then throws in an odd little WTF quirk of arrangement or instrumentation that move the song in a totally different direction that it really should have gone. KZK stands out from everything else she's ever done in that it's (mostly) all quirk.
monad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.11, 09:06 PM   #199
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

you will probably get less shock going from KZK to Heisei Fuuzoku, since most of the album are KZK works rearranged for a full orchestra combined with a handful of new tracks, Hatsuo Shoujo being the standout. It definitely is a surprising and new way to listen to the KZK songs. For us seasoned fans, by the time that album, Heisei Fuuzoku, was released, we had already heard the orchestra versions of those songs beat to death in so many live performances that it kind of left a bitter taste in our mouths. It was also billed as her true return to solo music, but that was just a marketing ploy, because now that she is releasing an actual solo record again, they are saying it is her 4th solo album. HF was a collaboration with double billing between her and the head of the orchestra, who arranged the tracks, Saito Neko.

After that, I'd say you would best move backward, to Shouso Strip, and from there to her debut, Muzai Moratorium. Muzai Moratorium is bound to be underwhelming moving from KZK or HF to it, as it really contains a lot of folk pop rock, but full of Ringo's early signature eccentric trademarks in her music. It is a very good album, but going from KZK to MM would be like eating spicey indian curry and then attemping watermelon. Your senses are still blown from the KZK experience, you need to allow them to readjust to appreciate the other earlier work for their own attributes.

Shouso Strip is like the bridge between MM and KZK, so I'd say for sake of easy digestion, to start with Heisei Fuuzoku, then go to Shouso Strip, followed by Muzai Moratorium.

then if your still with us you can tackle the TJ releases. XD
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.11, 09:34 PM   #200
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

I'd say go to Shouso Strip first. It was my first Ringo album and I think it's a great way to get into her. It has a little bit of that quirk (Yokushitsu, Benkai Debussy, and Stoicism definitely come to mind) that KSK does but don't expect it in spades. Shouso Strip is more or less a rock album with some experimental tracks. It also has some of her most famous songs. Gibs, Yokushitsu, Tsumi to Batsu, Identity, Yami ni Furu Ame, Honnou, and Izonshou have all pretty much become iconic Shiina Ringo. Think of Shouso Strip as a way of getting to hear Shiina Ringo's real breakout into the mainstream. As an album, it also doesn't seem to have as tight a concept as KSK so I find myself listening to a lot of the individual songs from it. And that's really its strong point. It has some really nice songs that can stand on their own. It loses a little bit of momentum in the second half but really picks up with Honnou and Izonshou. Honnou is practically worth the price of admission alone. Definitely recommended.

Going to Muzai Moratorium, as has been previously said, is a pretty huge jump. It's definitely her poppiest album but the melodies from it are pop perfection so if you can handle more straightforward arrangements then you'll probably like it. I also find that her vocals take the most getting used to on this one. But it's really a great album. It's also the home of her big concert staple: Marunouchi Sadistic.

Heisei Fuuzoku is more or less a reimagined version of old Shiina Ringo songs with orchestral arrangements, containing 5 from KSK. It's good but only has 4 completely new songs. I'd recommend it if you're interested in hearing a different take on some KSK tracks and want to hear the jazz/orchestral side of Ringo. kuro_neko may be right by saying that this is a good step to go to after KSK but I would say whatever you choose, pick Muzai Moratorium last.

So I would say Shouso Strip --> Heisei Fuuzoku --> Muzai Moratorium.