Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.10.25, 07:59 PM   #11
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Glath apparently considers KSK Ringo's best work, treating it like some kind of sacred cow and he doesn't factor favourites?

So the raw production of Kyouiku isn't different from Ringo's other albums'? How about the jazz rock of Adult, isn't it a departure from the early grunge sound? And Sanmon Gossip isn't different from MM, SS, and KSK?

Don't get me wrong, I love many songs on KSK, but the album relies on too many sound effects (I'm no music expert and it's just my observation). For example, what's so great about the song "Odaiji ni"? It's basically the lady hammering the piano with weird, distorted synth effects or something in the background. It's less catchy than TJ's "My Private Life". The whole album sounds overproduced and the music doesn't flow very smoothly. It lacks the organic quality compare to her other albums.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.25, 08:07 PM   #12
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

While only indirectly did he call KZK her "best work" in his post, the point is that KZK is the most artfully realized, and least commercial record, and this is likely due to the lack of Kameda. Kameda seems to be a sacrificial cow around EMF as well and I think this is good food for thought.
Old 2012.10.26, 07:35 AM   #13
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
And Sanmon Gossip isn't different from MM, SS, and KSK?
Also no Kameda on SG. : /

Don't get me wrong, I love many songs on KSK, but the album relies on too many sound effects (I'm no music expert and it's just my observation). For example, what's so great about the song "Odaiji ni"? It's basically the lady hammering the piano with weird, distorted synth effects or something in the background.
Got me. I've argued that same point about KSK here multiple times. Odaijini is easily my least favorite track on the album. The Electric Mole version is far superior. I think you're referring to the guitar in the song when you say "weird, distorted synth effects"? It's a Telecaster played through a Zvex Fuzz Factory (also heard on Gibs). I like that part.
Old 2012.10.26, 07:48 AM   #14
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Also no Kameda on SG.
She no longer had a soul at that point ho ho ho
Old 2012.11.07, 12:59 PM   #15
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

I hated Trash. That is all. B-side cover was cool.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.02, 04:43 PM   #16
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

善悪の彼岸 preview

Preview of the new single from her second major release mini album "121212" out on 12/12/12. Duh.

Sounds a'ight. I'm sure she looks "loli" enough for Inseu on the clip too.
Old 2012.12.02, 04:54 PM   #17
Inseu

This girl needs a keyboardist in her band asap. Her sound is so stale AND 90's. Her charisma alone isn't enough. For me anyway.
Old 2012.12.02, 04:59 PM   #18
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

If you add keyboards it's basically Jihen
Old 2012.12.02, 05:13 PM   #19
Inseu

Which means I'd probably jump on it and eat it up. Listening to that Kominami Yasuha album feels like listening to Ultramarine Weather over and over.

I wouldn't say they would sound like Tokyo Jihen if they have a keyboardist though. The Jihen sound is unique, with jazzy organ, melodious basslines, and manic drumming, and Uki adding weird bluesy gita here and there.
Old 2012.12.11, 02:14 AM   #20
LoBFCanti

LoBFCanti is headed in the right direction

She doesn't need a keyboard, and BG on repeat? Heavens no. To say that pure pop rock is too 90s is a pretty funny and strangely accurate to the trend that all the artists like. If they were established in the 90s, they are doing wave or electronic experimentation now. Zazen Boys got most it out of their system, but have made it a ritual to close out their albums with a cool jam of the sort. No one just plays guitar, drum and bass lately. It's cool to see she's confident enough to do this.

You aren't alone on your feelings about her staleness, I've heard others complain, but I think there is just too much potential here for people to be giving up on her so early. She's only been known of 3 years now, and only 1 major. There was a huge improvement from her first indie mini to her first indie single and that was the only 2 release we had til soupy world :/

Currently listening to 121212 by the way.

Senaku no Higan and the first track sound similar for the first 20 secs; Senaku is has more identity as it progresses and I genuinely like it. The second track, Omitsu- something or other, was eh for me. Already heard 12gatsu Juuninichi last year, just a studio version. Track 4 was much less impacting "mellow" if there is anything to compare it to, it would be that. We seem to get one of these every other release from her.

Usotsuzumu was better than this. Ummm 2/5? Sekai doujitahatsu, Usotsuki to Salvador and Senaku all have a similar energy but with sounding, to me at least, homogenous. Her songs lacking this energy however do sound very much the same, not simply among themselves, but to the styling in general.

Bigger albums give you more chance to hit or miss, I'd like to see an 8 track "completely new" release from her within the coming months.

Last edited by LoBFCanti : 2012.12.12 at 08:19 PM.
LoBFCanti is offline   Reply With Quote