Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2007.09.24, 03:11 PM   #31
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Bjork, im not so familiar with, but to me she changes and does different on top of different things because thats just her schtick. I don't think her aim is as comparable to Jihen approaching Variety (KZK maybe, and even then you can criticize KZK for it more than anything.)

Not to steal Maou's thunder, but Variety has less variety than any other major release by Shiina.
Old 2007.09.24, 03:13 PM   #32
imkookoo

imkookoo is headed in the right direction

Variety is an okay album for me. My favorite track is by far Fukushuu. I like the new Mirrorball over the JCHI version, and there are a couple nice tracks here and there (don't remember the titles), but for the most part, the melodies are kind of forgettable. :S
imkookoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.24, 03:39 PM   #33
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I'm going to wait a few more plays until I do a full-on song-by-song review. That said, my first impression is that I don't care for the album. There's some good (Ramp, Killer Tune, Fukushuu), some bad (Mirrorball, OSCA) and some ugly (Kronekodow, Boutomin, Ssaw). Let me tell you, I have no idea how such horrible songs like Boutomin and Ssaw made it on the album. These are bad, bad songs even worse than Bokoku Joushou, Toumei Ningen and BB. Queen combined. I'd be embarrassed to put these songs on my record.

Where is the Variety? This place hyped up the fact that this album would be wild and varied in style yet it's the least varied album Shiina Ringo has been involved in. Even less than the "straight rock" Muzai debut. Variety is filled with '70's throwbacks that go nowhere. No catchy hooks. No good build ups. They're almost amateur in structure.
Old 2007.09.24, 04:10 PM   #34
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

My first impression on this internet leaked Variety album is that
when SR withdrew from compostion, somehow,
their music turns most accessible.
I expected opposite from especially Ukigumo's songs.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.24, 05:11 PM   #35
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Any enlightened Hirama-converts yet?

I'm gonna wait a few more days for this album to settle in before I post a review. Initial impressions: I like goldfish, sake to geko and metro.
Old 2007.09.24, 06:08 PM   #36
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
Any enlightened Hirama-converts yet?

I'm gonna wait a few more days for this album to settle in before I post a review. Initial impressions: I like goldfish, sake to geko and metro.
As much as I respect Uki for his guitar work, his presence has now become detrimental to the band. If he writes ONE song on the next album i'll put out a contract for his life.

Adult proved that Tokyo jihen didn't need Hirama. Variety proves that Uki was the wrong choice for a replacement. BRING BACK HIRAMA! He's probably desperate for a job.

EXtra note to Maou- Why do you hate all the songs I kinda enjoy? First Toumei Ningen, now Boutomin. I don't understand japanese so i would understand your hate if the lyrics translated to something really stupid. I hate terrible lyrics...
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.09.24, 06:30 PM   #37
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

...and we're desperate for Hirama!
Tho honestly, Izawas keys bugged me way more often than Uki's guitar this time around, sad truth be told ='(

(would still take Izawa over Uki)
Old 2007.09.24, 06:45 PM   #38
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
EXtra note to Maou- Why do you hate all the songs I kinda enjoy? First Toumei Ningen, now Boutomin. I don't understand japanese so i would understand your hate if the lyrics translated to something really stupid. I hate terrible lyrics...
I just have a Tsuchiya/Jihad relationship with you. Only we play nice.

The guys singing in Boutomin drove me nuts. They're even worse than Hirama when it comes to singing. I think my hate of Toumei Ningen comes from how great it was during DO. The Adult version is almost a completely different song.
Old 2007.09.24, 06:47 PM   #39
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Maybe we should all write her letters begging her to kick Ukigumo out and start writing songs again. I mean, she responded to the call of fans asking her not to write songs.
Old 2007.09.24, 06:50 PM   #40
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

I guess since you guys hate it so much I'm going to love it since it's the same people that did not like ADULT, or at least as much as I did. Good for me! ^__^

EDIT: Oh and I can not be trusted because I like OSCA. Don't trust me ^_~

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2007.09.24 at 06:56 PM.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote