Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2018.05.11, 01:30 PM   #1
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Comics/Graphic Novel/Mangá Thread

How the fuck we don't have a comics thread??

Although I don't like the average marvel/dc shit I enjoy the X-men and Batman stories, I just can't stand reading the comics... the aesthetic and narrative mechanisms are so boring and tiresome

But in the last years Brazil has seen the rise of (maybe) a golden age of brazilian comics/graphic novels
they are quite beautiful, smart, and enjoyable... though only a couple have been translated to english
I know for sure the brothers Gabriel Bá and Fabio Moon published their "Daytripper" in english, here is their blog: http://fabioandgabriel.blogspot.com.tr/
maybe you can download it from this site

About European stuff, I read Margaux Motin "Tectonic Plates" and fell in love with her
Her comics are funny, touching sometimes, always beautiful, and sometimes even experimental
but maybe they are too girly for some of you, I don't know o.o

About manga, I'm really lost on the latest cool stuff, I only keep on reading the mainstream stuff I've been reading along all those years
The last new things I've read were Thermae Romae, Kurage-Hime, and that one with Jesus and Buddha living together as flatmates

If anyone has any suggestions... I'm also interested in webtoons btw, but maybe webtoons go in the webcomics thread?! I'm not sure

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.12, 07:33 AM   #2
chatenoire

chatenoire pleased at least somebody

Thank you so much for opening the thread!

The last graphic novel I bought was Nick Cave: Mercy on Me by Reinhard Kleist,
which is probably for hardcore Nick Cave fans only.

Others I read last year:
American Vampire Vol.1
The Sandman Vol.1~Vol.3
Lucifer Vol.1: Cold Heaven
(I was lucky that I got all of the above from redditgifts exchanges!)
Dark Horse Number Ones 2017
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol.1

The first thing I'm going to buy if I ever win the lottery is Absolute Preacher and The Sandman Omnibus.

Three manga I'm still buying:
Anything by Taiyō Matsumoto and Naoki Urasawa, also JOJONIUM.

Last edited by chatenoire : 2018.05.12 at 11:00 AM.
chatenoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.12, 11:30 AM   #3
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Maybe check out Aa! Megamisama! by Fujishima Kousuke. Worth it for the artwork alone.
Old 2018.05.13, 01:15 AM   #4
chatenoire

chatenoire pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by zeroryouko View Post
Maybe check out Aa! Megamisama! by Fujishima Kousuke. Worth it for the artwork alone.
WOW! This brings back so many memories.

My childhood best friend used to draw me pictures.
Like some girls keep exchange diaries, I have a scrapbook full of her drawings!

She was into Sailor Moon (who wasn't?), The Five Star Stories by Mamoru Nagano (which I still haven't read), CLAMP, and Aa! Megami-sama!.
Since I can't draw at all, it always amazed me how she could just draw without outlining first.

Cases in point:

Last edited by chatenoire : 2018.05.13 at 02:42 AM.
chatenoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.13, 05:25 AM   #5
Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2)

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) is an asset to this community

That second image really looks like something Hiroyuki Tamakoshi would have done for something like Boys Be... I like that.

Ringo~Bingo (ver. 2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.05.13, 08:19 AM   #6
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I love Aa Megami-sama!
I've always thought that Kousuke Fujishima is one of the masters of anime art
Back in the early 90s, waaaay before internet arrived in brazilian households, I used to buy an anime magazine that always featured what was the latest and greatest releases in Japan. So I read about Aa Megami-sama and fell in love with the art.
In 2003, a friend who was older than me (and perhaps a pedophile, now that I think about it) lent me a VHS with all the OVA episodes, and finally I had the chance to watch them
Before I went to college I started reading the manga, but I guess I got too busy in college and stoped reading ;o;
Thank you for reminding me!!!

And wow, chatenoire's friend is good!

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Old 2018.05.17, 02:02 AM   #7
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Rereading Batman: The Long Halloween & Arkham Asylum: Serious House on Serious Earth, two of my favorite Batman graphic novels. TLH has aged slightly better since it draws from classic gangster films, especially The Godfather, while Arkham Asylum is a bit edgelord at times, especially in regards to Amadeus Arkham's backstory. But if you treat it like a tripped out, dream-like adult version of Alice in Wonderland with Batman in it, that'll get you the most mileage out of the story. I still think it's some of Morrison's best work.

Also been reading Rogue & Gambit mini series which is better than it has any right to be. Kelly Thompson's writing is really solid and Pere Perez's art is good as well. He's probably my second favorite Rogue artist after Pepe Larraz, which is saying a lot because Pepe Larraz basically draws the perfect Rogue.

I need to get into manga again. I've been tempted to read HxH after finishing the 2011 series recently but then I'm worried I'll catch up to where Togashi has written up to and it will take 10 years to get animated!
Old 2018.05.17, 02:37 AM   #8
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
I've been tempted to read HxH after finishing the 2011 series recently but then I'm worried I'll catch up to where Togashi has written up to and it will take 10 years to get animated!
This reminds me I still have to read the end of Shaman King, and that means rereading the whole stuff because I don't remember anything about it anymore
I stopped the reading on that half-assed ending Takei delivered when he fought with Jump

渾て獨りぼっちだから