Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
Closed Thread

Old 2008.10.18, 07:56 PM   #761
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by bromithia View Post
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist was kinda cute. Reminds me of Juno, and not just because Michael Cera is in it, but mostly.
I loved it <3 Haven't seen Juno though so I can't compare, but I really liked their chemistry, the soundtrack was nice and really, the whole thing was just so much fun!
Old 2008.10.18, 07:58 PM   #762
Captain_Harlock

Captain_Harlock is headed in the right direction

I just finished watching Rome's first season. Although I already knew what was going to happen pretty much, I ended up crying quite alot, haha. The last two episodes were very very gorgeous and perfect.
Old 2008.10.19, 07:25 AM   #763
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I just watched W.

It's not particularly good, but its also not particularly bad. The first half of the movie, which we didn't see on CNN and the Daily Show back in 02-04, was great. The parts of his presidency we're already well aware of, I wish they coulda personalized it more.

Josh Brolin did well tho. And whats-more, he was on SNL last night and was one of the better hosts in years! Too bad it was also one of the shittiest written shows in years. =p
Old 2008.10.19, 08:42 AM   #764
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Death Proof is essentially Tarantino dialogue masterbation, but it never gets boring and Kurt Russel is brilliant. It's also essentially two movies in one, following one group of girls culminating in an absolutely fantastic (seriously, you have to see it to believe it) car crash and then it changes to a second group of girls which culminates with one of the best car chase sequences ever, and an absolutely fantastic ending. It is very, very different to Planet Terror.
Seconded.
I've actually seen Planet Terror months ago, and loved it; but from what I knew about Death Proof I thought - maybe I'm not going to like it, what if it's boring etc. because as far as I know people don't tend to like it too much.
But it's astounding that for a good 75% of the movie there's really nothing happening, it's basically chicks hanging out, and despite that, it's not boring in the least, quite contrary, I had great fun with the movie every minute. So I take my hat off to Tarantino.
Also the final car chase is totally exciting to watch and the ending just had me in tears of laughter. I do think though, that watching the movie in its entirety makes for a great build-up towards the climax... Brilliant and I recommend this to anybody who likes Tarantino in the least

Looking forward to Inglourious Basterds or however it should be spelled

Also, I re-watched Lost in Translation this weekend and it was even better this time around. That movie is just wonderful... and somehow it leaves such a good feeling when it's over, despite the sort of bittersweet ending.
Old 2008.10.19, 10:34 AM   #765
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by merman View Post
Also, I re-watched Lost in Translation this weekend and it was even better this time around. That movie is just wonderful... and somehow it leaves such a good feeling when it's over, despite the sort of bittersweet ending.
Hell yes, it's probably in my top 5/top10 list and one of the few movies that I kept on my ipod before it died. I've gotta get the blu ray ver. when I'm picking up Chungking Express in november.

Edit - What the fuck is wrong with the SNL writing staff? It has been years since they've written a decent show. I know it's not 30 Rock jacking all the talent cause it's been like this for a long long time.

It's not the performers, they're all young and eager.

hmm...ditto with the Simpsons...is it Conan's fault?

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
Old 2008.10.20, 02:02 PM   #766
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
ep 1 will "leak" tonight =p

and yeah, True Blood isn't very good and isn't doing very good in the ratings. Yet HBO renewed it for a second season!
Did you guys stick with it? I've just watched episode 3, and while for the most part the show is pretty much just 'OK' thus far, I do think it started picking up with this last episode. Does it continue to get better or is it just constantly mediocre? I do have faith in Alan Ball, and I like Vampires so I'm willing to stick with it if it's worth it.

As for Heroes, finally up to date. The show is an absolute mess. The writing is for the most part terrible and the writers seem to have no idea what they're doing. I should have gave up on it a long time ago, but I still have an overwhelming urge to continue watching. I don't know what it is, because while I'm all for dumb shows that are entertaining (Prison Break) I often find myself hating Heroes more than enjoying it, picking faults with literally everything. But I'll still watch
Old 2008.10.20, 02:28 PM   #767
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I somehow stopped watching Heroes. Fringe and Dexter are awesome enough, and now even the second season of ELI STONE started!!!
HOLY! The first episode was epic.

MyAnimelist
Old 2008.10.20, 03:19 PM   #768
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
Did you guys stick with it? I've just watched episode 3, and while for the most part the show is pretty much just 'OK' thus far, I do think it started picking up with this last episode. Does it continue to get better or is it just constantly mediocre? I do have faith in Alan Ball, and I like Vampires so I'm willing to stick with it if it's worth it.

As for Heroes, finally up to date. The show is an absolute mess. The writing is for the most part terrible and the writers seem to have no idea what they're doing. I should have gave up on it a long time ago, but I still have an overwhelming urge to continue watching. I don't know what it is, because while I'm all for dumb shows that are entertaining (Prison Break) I often find myself hating Heroes more than enjoying it, picking faults with literally everything. But I'll still watch
I've given up on Tru Blood. It's a horrible, horrible show and a waste of talent. They're on ep. 4 or 5 I think and absolutely nothing has happened so far.

Heroes IS a mess, the last two ep. has improved, but they still have a way to go. To say that the series lacks the cohesion and momentum of the first season is an understatement.

The main problem is that they seem intent on fitting a twist into every scene. The last two episodes have slowed down somewhat...

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
Old 2008.10.20, 03:47 PM   #769
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by cjhobbies00 View Post
The main problem is that they seem intent on fitting a twist into every scene. The last two episodes have slowed down somewhat...
Not only that but the effects are getting increasingly worse. Nathan flying in (I think) episode 4 was literally the worst piece of CG I've seen all year.

As for True Blood, I don't think it's terrible, just... as you say, nothing happens If nothing continues to happen, I'll probably just leave it. I think I've got up to episode 6 downloaded so I'll probably decide after that.

One show which is just as good as it's first season this year is Californication. I was a bit worried at the direction it would take after the season 1 finale, but it's just as rude, crude, brilliant and hilarious as ever. Seriously check it out if you haven't already, but don't start with Season 2 because it'll spoil what Season 1 is building towards.
Old 2008.10.20, 04:12 PM   #770
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I've just seen the first episode of Pushing Daisies and it was amazwesome!
Like a mix of The fabulous destiny of Amlie, Big Fish and Royal Tenenbaums, not only with dark humor... it seems to be the definition of dark humor.
And when this particular song from Amelie turned up at the of the two crazy aunts, the whole scene was screaming "AMELIE I LOVE YOU"
To round everything up, the main character is INDEED the same as in the movie The Fall, so I was instantly sold
And everything was so fitting.

MyAnimelist
Closed Thread