Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2010.12.20, 11:31 PM   #401
Beltshumeltz

Beltshumeltz is headed in the right direction

I've listened only twice to SPORTS so far, once when it came out and once today. So far, it gave me the worst first impression of all their albums (TJ and SR). But usually I discover at least a song or two that I love, and then the rest of the album grows on me. I was losing fate about finding at least one song that would convince me to listen to the album again until I hear Horiki today. It's my favorite song followed by Senkou Shoujo.

While I also like Ikiru, I don't like the special voice effects used on its intro.

My tastes probably differ from the majority here as Variety is my favorite album
Beltshumeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.15, 02:52 AM   #402
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

I would like to put it on record that I hate Kimaru. Boring Norwegian Wood ripoff that goes exactly nowhere during the virtual eternity during which it's on. Skip.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.15, 03:52 AM   #403
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Beltshumeltz View Post
My tastes probably differ from the majority here as Variety is my favorite album
Awesome effort, you are fighting da system!

Though Variety is my second favourite TJ album (after Adult). You are still my hero for saying that Variety is your favourite on EMF though
Old 2011.07.15, 03:55 AM   #404
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by karateexplosion View Post
I would like to put it on record that I hate Kimaru. Boring Norwegian Wood ripoff that goes exactly nowhere during the virtual eternity during which it's on. Skip.
Or just press "Stop." It is the last track after all

Hm, I have a friend who compared Kimaru to Norwegian Wood, too. If it wasn't for the fact that Ukigumo probably read the novel growing up, I'd dismiss it as a coincidence right away. It probably still is, though.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.15, 04:10 AM   #405
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

^It's not really that similar, just the mandolin riff Uki plays definitely evokes the main riff from Norwegian Wood. I really just don't like the song 'cause it never goes anywhere (talkin' sonically, like crescendos an' shit) and drags on forever.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.18, 07:11 PM   #406
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

So, I'm trying to listen to Sports for the fourth time, and I'm not having too much fun with it. Every time I tried listening to it, I would just turn it off after the second track and be done with it. Well, I'm on the 7th track and the album is boring the fudge out of me. I listened to Daihakken yesterday, and I absolutely loved it. I don't know, maybe it's because Sports isn't strange enough for me. I like my Ringo strange.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.18, 07:15 PM   #407
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Tokyo Jihen is probably the wrong band to choose if you want "strange", just sayin' :-p
Old 2011.07.18, 07:22 PM   #408
sylfi

sylfi is headed in the right direction

Well, I got to Noriki, and it's getting better. The second half of the album is definitely better than the first half. But like I said, I loved Daihakken. I just think that this album is boring as HAAAYLLL. I mentioned in another thread that it makes me want to strangle puppies because it's so boring.
sylfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.07, 02:38 AM   #409
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Guys, I LOVE FOUL. It's the most fun Jihen song ever and so good for a workout. Malfunctioning toy robot spazzing out. I'm thinking that if they had used the Variety/Sports/Dai Hakken concept for ONE album after Adult, the 'fun' album in the discography, then I wouldn't be so down about the change in direction. I've also been playing Too Handsome a lot recently, and it's really grown on me!
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.07, 03:38 AM   #410
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by sylfi View Post
Well, I got to Noriki, and it's getting better. The second half of the album is definitely better than the first half. But like I said, I loved Daihakken. I just think that this album is boring as HAAAYLLL. I mentioned in another thread that it makes me want to strangle puppies because it's so boring.
I like Sports better... Dai hakken hasn't got a real flow for me. It is just a mash-up of whatever they did in that time period. I find that dai hakken has more variety than Variety itself.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote