Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2010.05.12, 10:33 PM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Janelle Monae

So there are obviously quite a few fans of hers on EMF. What do you think of The Archandroid? I caved in and listened to the leak last night, and my first impression is 'good!' Still, I'm not sure whether I think it's missing something from The Metropolis Suite, or whether I just need to give it more listens (Nothing clicked as immediately as Sincerely Jane). Anyway, I'll soon find out.

P.S. I think I'd really enjoy Mushrooms & Roses, but her voice reminds me of, er, Lil Wayne on that track.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2010.05.12 at 10:39 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.13, 04:38 AM   #2
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
So there are obviously quite a few fans of hers on EMF. What do you think of The Archandroid? I caved in and listened to the leak last night, and my first impression is 'good!' Still, I'm not sure whether I think it's missing something from The Metropolis Suite, or whether I just need to give it more listens (Nothing clicked as immediately as Sincerely Jane). Anyway, I'll soon find out.
I'm glad someone has started a thread about her.

I have gotten interested in her, but wouldn't call myself per se. I checked ouot Metropolis Suite a while back and could not get into it, but my memory of it is fuzzy. I probably should go back and listen. I definitely like the ArchAndroid more than I liked that. I'm still sorting out how much I like it, which seems to be a common theme in comments I've seen about this new album. There's definitely a lot that's done extremely well on this. Some of it I don't like all that much and I'm not sure how well it all hangs together. As I think I said in my other comments, I'm not really a big believer in the whole concept album thing. I think it too often leads to: "We need this song here because it furthers the master plot or system (even though it really doesn't have much going for it musically)." But some artists seem to derive a lot of energy and inspiration from such big narratives or master themes, and it can work. I just often find myself a bit disappointed by the results of artists being committed to concept album concepts.

But I am pretty much enjoying the album right now, even as I express this ambivalence (and have a copy on order).

P.S. I think I'd really enjoy Mushrooms & Roses, but her voice reminds me of, er, Lil Wayne on that track.
I was thinking Gibby Haynes! Well, a very little bit. I like her conversational bit in that song.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.14, 09:36 AM   #3
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

I'm SO in love with her! Not only she sings but also dances like God! I can't stop listening to "Tightrope", and am loving the new album so far... I hope she'll get more credit soon - she's so underrated!
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.14, 02:25 PM   #4
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I hope she gets more credit this time around too.

And I'm not entirely convinced by the android concept either. That might be a darling JM needs to deactivate. "omg wouldn't it be cool if there was an android and like she was fighting for freedom and it was ALL REPRESENTED BY THE MUSIC and a JOURNEY omg the whole album could be like a motion picture no no an EMOTION PICTURE! so innovative!"

I agree though, the album is definitely good, and it's just a matter of (me) taking a while to figure out just how good it is. There's no song that I outright hate (I still don't know about Make the Bus. Oh, Cold War sounds like an Archandroid reject) but I was expecting it to be a bit... bolder? Metropolis Suite Part I set me up for something more schizophrenic than what we got here...and I feel like I could be listening to someone else when I listen to Say You'll Go and a few other tracks I can't remember right now.
Her vocals are amazing though!

The Dance or Die, Faster, Locked Inside trio is my favourite part of the album atm.
Old 2010.05.16, 01:50 AM   #5
Scribble R

Faster is fantastic <3 <3
Old 2010.05.17, 02:58 AM   #6
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

And the FUNNy thing is in the song faster, there is a bridge or a small intrumental part in the song that is the same exact one to the electro intro to Tokyo Jihens "3 min" Sanpouken... or whatever it is.

(reposted from the Sanmon gossip thread)

Btw, I am planning to go to her concert the day after gaga's concert here in nyc in July
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.17, 03:20 AM   #7
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by makenshiww View Post
And the FUNNy thing is in the song faster, there is a bridge or a small intrumental part in the song that is the same exact one to the electro intro to Tokyo Jihens "3 min" Sanpouken... or whatever it is.
Yeaaaah, I noticed that too O_O!! It sounds just like the "Noudouteki Sanpunkan" intro!
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.17, 09:51 AM   #8
Superficial Fan

The thing is spilling over with music. I don't know what I think of it as a unified album, but I'm not sure I care. I even wonder if to some extent the earnest inspirational robot epic talk is really a smoke-screen. It all seems more like postmodern pastiche delighting in surfaces (but then maybe that's simply hard to avoid producing nowadays). But the ending of "Say You'll Go"! Come on now. I'd be very surprised if there isn't a bit of irony there. That chorus going up is like some (very white, to my ears) 1940s soundtrack music, and she is quoting "Clair de Lune," is she not? or is it just close? Sounds like an actual quote to me. (Another Debussy lover like Shiina Ringo?)

One thought I had earlier is that she seems to be at her best when she is working in more complex areas. I find that her straight ahead rock falls a bit flat ("Come Alive" in particular--well, maybe there isn't really all that much straight ahead rock here to begin with). But when she is dealing with rhythmically complex soul/funk or massively orchestrated songs that

I don't know how she manages to reel off "A haiku written in Japanese. . ." without it sounding awkward or ridiculous. Seriously, I can't imagine it would be easy to get that out of your mouth in a rhythmically satisfying way.

I truly hope she is just getting started, not that this album isn't something worthwhile, but I think she can achieve something beyond this.
Old 2010.05.17, 10:13 AM   #9
Superficial Fan

Originally Posted by makenshiww View Post
I wouldn't say it's exactly the same, but close, yes (and maybe I'm taking you too literally anyway). I'd missed it before you pointed it out. And the whole song seems like it wouldn't be out of place on a Tokyo Jihen album.
Old 2010.05.17, 01:31 PM   #10
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

I actually heard about her here on EMF! The leak is low quality so I didn't listen to it. I should get my digital copy tomorrow. I can't wait!

I really love that anxious "I'm being chased" quality in The Chase Suite EP but I know the new album won't be like that... I'm not sure what to expect. I love Cold War but I'm not too crazy about Trightrope so we'll see!