Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2014.12.04, 05:56 PM   #31
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

I still listen to that SPITZ tribute album regularly, it's really well done. Can't think of any other tribute albums offhand.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.05, 02:36 AM   #32
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

On repeat playings of Utada's Letters, I "get" the song now. It's a good song, still a little disorienting for me for some reason
Old 2014.12.05, 06:33 AM   #33
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I can guarantee that this, like most albums of it's type- will be a 2 or 3 time listen then dust gatherer.

Too negative or just too realistic?
Accurate. I never cared much for tribute albums, even if artists I like are contributing songs.
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.05, 10:43 AM   #34
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Ringo should have covered Parody. I'm just not liking what she did with Letters.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.05, 11:28 AM   #35
makenshiww

makenshiww pleased at least somebody

Call me a corn ball, but I totally far for silly Ringo renditions. Its almost what you would expect her to do while on vacation and she just has nothing else to do.

I will say I'm here for AI's final distance its kind of interesting take I didn't think I would like it as much.
makenshiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.05, 12:30 PM   #36
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

DG, you could NOT be more wrong!
Letters is one of my favorite Utada songs to, but when she shifts into her lower register, I get chills!

It has a lot of groove, and it feels very smokey too. I can just close my eyes and picture hearing this at my local jazz club...
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.05, 03:25 PM   #37
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Well, Ayumi's is indeed sounding the best so far (at least as an Ayumi fan anyway lol), no doubt she got most of the budget :-p

https://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x2btee3
Old 2014.12.06, 02:55 PM   #38
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Ugh, that literally sounds exactly like a remix of Movin' on with out you. It's nothing more than a rehash. Ringo's is a creative re/deconstruction at least.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.12.07, 05:15 PM   #39
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

After hearing Letters in full, I take back what I say (well, half of what I said)- it does pick up and get a bit more interesting after the first chorus. Production seems better than both Reimport and Sunny- which is weird.

The first minute or so still sounds totally phony and she sounds like she's thinking "wish it was travellin" to me... The opening of Baishou Extasy/Ringohan seems more genuine than this.

Overall, it's not her best cover ever for sure- but it's certainly not her worst (The Lady is a Tramp- I'm looking at your sorry horribly pronounced English, sloppily performed music ass...). I imagine it will be the song people are going to remember off this compilation- so that's a good thing for Ringo... but not such a good thing for those buying the compilation.
Old 2014.12.08, 07:26 AM   #40
gekokujyo

gekokujyo knows what you did last summergekokujyo knows what you did last summer

for those interested a longer preview of ayu's track is on her official YouTube channel. it's......fucking fabulous. the stuff of glittery rainbow gymming gays doing cardio all over the world.
gekokujyo is offline   Reply With Quote