Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2012.05.17, 02:33 AM   #131
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Turtlefu's perspective makes perfect sense to me, and I am baffled why others here seem so irritated that he has opinions on this complicated subject that differ from their own. I've researched ASD fairly deeply and have recognized a few subtle symptoms of Asperger's syndrome in myself, and can certainly understand how anyone reasonably knowledgeable about ASD could be unhappy with an inappropriately one-dimensional portrayal of someone with autism.
Old 2012.05.18, 04:03 PM   #132
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Most of the performances by Arnold Schartzeneggar are one-dimensional men-on-a-mission, barely present within any shared reality. Audiences already eat that up under labels other than autism, or no label at all. It's an alpha thing, which is why Arnold isn't the only actor who gets away with that. One-dimensional performances seem a little more viable with a label though, like "he's a machine", or "he's ex-military".

Each alpha represents an apex of what a demographic could be like. Alphas effectively serve as stereotypes, especially when you don't pair them with any counterexamples. It's not there was anything the drama could have done to depict the main character "more realistically" - it's that the drama lacked a variety of other autistic characters. Any production with only one autistic character, is going to be an automatic failure in representing autism, even if there's a real person exactly like that somewhere.
Old 2012.05.18, 07:09 PM   #133
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

@Glath
We honestly need to stop, because at this point you aren't even responding to what I am saying, you seem to be imaging another conversation entirely and I don't appreciate being made into a straw-man. This is the last I will say on the subject.
Old 2012.05.18, 07:41 PM   #134
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer
@Glathannus

Schartenegger's characters portray familiar tropes. We know how action heros behave.

There are comparitively few honest and popular works that have focused on autism. The trope/meme/presumption is still in a nascient stage, and bla bla bla.

Hopefully my last words on this subject.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2012.05.18 at 07:49 PM.
Old 2012.05.20, 01:34 PM   #135
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Song's now released, so Product Reviews redirect/closing this thread time!
Closed Thread