Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.01.22, 06:19 PM   #1
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction
Default Audiology Thread

Ever had an ear orgasm? I heard this new player induces them... 32gb model coming soon check out the reviews. If you need a new portable media player, check out the cowon S9... Listen to this review

Cowon S9

Check out the forums here for more info...

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Maybe a wasted topic, but I AM getting this (32gb) as well as importing a nintendo DSi... so these are on my to get list... Maybe someone else might swayed after reading up on it...

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.22, 06:24 PM   #2
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I bet she sounds better on my HT Omega Claro Halo -> Audio-Technica AD900 and Onkyo 706 -> Paradigm Studio 40/SVS sub setups...
Old 2009.01.22, 06:34 PM   #3
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

It looks like a very sleek piece of work. Too bad I've already grown attached to my D2, flaws and all.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.22, 07:31 PM   #4
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

There are a couple things wrong with the S9:
1.) No expansion slots for flash storage.
2.) Supports Monkey's Audio but doesn't support WavPack? What the fuck barbeque...

There are a couple things wrong with the O2:
1.) Built-in speakers I never intend to use.
2.) Less battery life whether I use the speakers or not.

The O2 wins for me, because it succeeds in every way the S9 fails. It supports every format I could ever want to use (especially WavPack), while the S9's format support is extremely limited in comparison.

And more important than format, the removable flash storage is HUGELY important. If all you ever store on your player is lossless, and you have discographies for most of the artists you care about - 16GB or 32GB of built-in storage is nothing, but that doesn't mean I'm foolish enough to buy a waiting-to-crash 160GB HDD player of supreme battery drainage either.

To this day I still have never owned a portable audio/video player. I can play as much of my own collection at work as I want, but I only bother when I'm trying to shut out surrounding human distractions (I have Grado RS-1s with a Grado extension cable plugged into a 96kHz/24bit external soundcard plugged into a desktop with hundreds of GB of my lossless rips) so I can get some real work done. My imagination is too active and detailed to allow me to ever get bored with not having externally audible music.
Old 2009.01.23, 02:39 AM   #5
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
There are a couple things wrong with the S9:
1.) No expansion slots for flash storage.
2.) Supports Monkey's Audio but doesn't support WavPack? What the fuck barbeque...

There are a couple things wrong with the O2:
1.) Built-in speakers I never intend to use.
2.) Less battery life whether I use the speakers or not.

The O2 wins for me, because it succeeds in every way the S9 fails. It supports every format I could ever want to use (especially WavPack), while the S9's format support is extremely limited in comparison.

And more important than format, the removable flash storage is HUGELY important. If all you ever store on your player is lossless, and you have discographies for most of the artists you care about - 16GB or 32GB of built-in storage is nothing, but that doesn't mean I'm foolish enough to buy a waiting-to-crash 160GB HDD player of supreme battery drainage either.

To this day I still have never owned a portable audio/video player. I can play as much of my own collection at work as I want, but I only bother when I'm trying to shut out surrounding human distractions (I have Grado RS-1s with a Grado extension cable plugged into a 96kHz/24bit external soundcard plugged into a desktop with hundreds of GB of my lossless rips) so I can get some real work done. My imagination is too active and detailed to allow me to ever get bored with not having externally audible music.
I'm far too smart to even attempt to get into an argument with you on a topic like this... But for me the selling points were the sexy design, the battery life, the screen for viewing movies (which I really want to do on this not saying my d2 can't, but this looks like a movie beast), and the sound quality is said to surpass the d2. The lack of memory expansion really hurt, but it just means I'll have to only have top notch songs, no more albums with only 3 tracks I like, just the 3 tracks will be there. I don't think it will be that bad...

When I saw the O2... I screamed sexy. But the battery life really turned me off. But everything else was great. I really like both devices, but the S9 is too sexy.

Plus the DSi looks equally as sexy. By equipping these two together, I should get a sexy bonus of at least 15+ Making me more desirable to any woman with a weakness for gadgetry, lol. Just kidding, I'll rarely show them to others, don't want anyone plotting to steal mah stuff.

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.23, 01:04 PM   #6
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

These players are finally starting to attract my attention. I think they are only one or two generations away from being irresistible. Combine the best features of the S9 and the O2 and I'm sold. Until then, I am content with listening to my old high-end Sony CD Walkman. Kudos on the Grados, Glath. I have iGrados for portable listening and love them. I prefer my vintage Stax electrostatics at home, but doubt they will ever be a portable version of that technology.

When it comes to current portable music players, I really like this one.

TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.09, 01:28 AM   #7
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts
Default Thread necro

^ That looks awesome, like something the Ghostbusters would use to detect traces of ectoplasm.

I'm not an audiophile or anything, I just like geek / gadget talk, but I splashed out on my first ever properly great pair of headphones, Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs and I really LOVE them. They add a really bassy punch to music when needed (Siamese Dream sounded like being at the cinema with a really good sound system) but are clear enough to retain lots of nice details. They're portable so I can get more use out of them than I would from a pair of home listening headphones (I'm too hyperactive for that and I don't like open type headphones anyway). They make you look like a DJ with them around your neck and a cyberman when you're wearing them, which I've had to decide is a good thing.

I mainly use them straight out of an iPhone though.

so_cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.10, 12:02 AM   #8
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I am still amazed at the sheer lasting power of my 2004 Toshiba Gigabeat F40, which has played 48,853 tracks and still works perfectly.

Audio kinda sucks but it has outlasted every iPod of every person in my acquaintance.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.10, 02:45 AM   #9
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

I'm currently using Creative Zen X-Fi 2 and Audio Technica ATH-CK303.
I got to say the headphones that I use are kinda weak. But the mp4 player has pretty good battery life and its X-Fi technology is superb. The settings, crystallization and expansion, really allows customization to your liking. Though the touchscreen really sucks(cannot fine-tune controls), the low price and X-Fi really makes up for it.

I might buy a pair of Grados if my budget allows =D
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.04.10, 12:26 PM   #10
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

I sold my Shure se530s when I moved to yellowknife. I'm using some headphones from Meelectronics now.

The price and sound is great. Has anyone else tried their headphones?

I might get Shures again one day, I'm extremely intrigued by the new cords and how you can replace them yourself.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote