Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.01.11, 02:47 PM   #51
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Here's some thoughts, after listening to a bunch of Bonnie songs (mainly the ones recommended in this thread, but I'm steering clear of Heaven's kitchen)
Her music seems very acoustic, it's an interesting mix of blues-pop and folk-pop. It's not really good in a technical or experimental sense, and it's not even particularly emotive either.
What I do like, and other people mentioned it too, is the extreme normalness of her music. This sounds like something I could listen to at a jazz club down the street. If I close my eyes, I even picture some imaginary club with Bonnie on stage. That's a very particular appeal that can easily be misunderstood as "boring"-ness. It's extremely subdued. Her "depressive" songs aren't really daunting, they're just calmly downbeat. I don't feel depressed listening to them, but I can understand her depression.

In my opinion, it seems like the real change in Bonnie's music was post-Let go. Nobody mentioned Just a Girl as a favorite album, and Present is praised but readily admitted as a much more pop-ier album. Listening to "even so", the blues-pop influence is completely gone.

So, I don't think her music is going to be my next obsession. It seems to lack depth and complexity, it's very much indie pop and fairly unremarkable. It's likely I'll buy Heaven's Kitchen, maybe evil and flowers or let go, but I won't feel the need to get all her albums like with Shiina or Utada Hikaru. One question I ask myself when thinking about buying new albums is: does this album deserve to be placed on the same shelf as KZK, etc? Bonnie's stuff doesn't really seem like that kind of music.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.01.11 at 02:51 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 02:53 PM   #52
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Then get jun togawa. The only artist I rate as high, or some days higher- than Ringo :-p
Old 2012.01.11, 04:27 PM   #53
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
One question I ask myself when thinking about buying new albums is: does this album deserve to be placed on the same shelf as KZK, etc?

Old 2012.01.11, 04:50 PM   #54
TurtleFu

Yeah, that's bad phrasing. What I mean is, is this music just "music" or does it have some kind of social, artistic, or personal meaning warranting it to be deemed "important". My original list of albums was longer and included Arular, Archandroid, and Body Talk but I shortened it for breviaries sake.
Which is now officially pointless, because I had to explain myself so I didn't sound like a douche bag.
But it does make me feel like weird to have Bonnie Pink to be between The Beatles and Bruce Springsteen in my library...

EDIT: But seriously, can we stop with the posts that consist entirely as a reply and a GIF? This is not 4chan, and I don't really know anything about "internet culture", so I have no idea what you are trying to specifically get across with that, like if it's an established meme or not.
Old 2012.01.11, 06:27 PM   #55
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Posting replies that consist merely of GIFs is a violation of forum rules because they are gratuitous and just this side of a personal attack. There's a thread called "Clarification on forum rules" in the Site Feedback forum that lists the sort of things we don't like here. Or at least things we say we don't like.

I suppose a mod could enforce these rules and simply delete the posts. Frankly I think they're a blight, and would have no problem resigning them to the bin. But then that would take away some posters' ability to express their superiority in meme-y shorthand, and I would not be so petty as to rob them of their only source of joy and self-esteem.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.01.11, 06:32 PM   #56
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Name:  rolleyes.png
Views: 47
Size:  59.9 KB
Old 2012.01.11, 06:38 PM   #57
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Really now. That was one of the silliest things I've ever read on this forum and I've made my share of ridiculously silly posts. Pure snobbery. Though I do like that.

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
But then that would take away some posters' ability to express their superiority in meme-y shorthand, and I would not be so petty as to rob them of their only source of joy and self-esteem.
Are you trying to learn me sensei or prove you're even more arrogant than me?
Old 2012.01.11, 06:53 PM   #58
TurtleFu

It wasn't my intention for the post to be "snobbish" at all. Maybe a little pretentious.

I'm still trying to figure out what I like. My tastes have changed a lot in the past year, but it's also been almost completely focused on Ringo. I continuously get music and then delete it or get rid of it. Something I like one week, I'm bored with the next. So I'm trying to figure out what I like and focus on music that has staying power.
Old 2012.01.11, 06:57 PM   #59
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Nickelback. Problem solved.
Old 2012.01.11, 07:01 PM   #60
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
It wasn't my intention for the post to be "snobbish" at all. Maybe a little pretentious.
He was talking about Nimh, don't sweat it