Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.12.14, 12:14 PM   #41
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Oh my goodness! Inseu just thanked me! I hope this isn't a hallucination!

TurtleFu, you'll probably like Sharon Van Etten and Purity Ring
Old 2012.12.14, 01:42 PM   #42
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

You're the first non critic I've seen actually like the Baroness album. I take you didn't like them before so had no expectations? It's the only way I can see someone liking it. Interesting :-)
Old 2012.12.14, 05:40 PM   #43
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

This was my first Baroness album, didn't have a chance to hear Blue or Red, but I am aware that Yellow and Green is a softer album. Its apparent in the record just by itself as the band eased into the mellower stuff. If this was a hardest album of the year list,, sure it wouldn't rank, but for what it is there's lots to enjoy.
Old 2012.12.14, 05:51 PM   #44
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno, I just found it tiring and a big disappointment:

It had the boxes ticked:
-New Baroness
-Big overblown concept album
-First single sounded good AND pissed of metal heads
-It's gotta be better than the last Mastodon album, right?

And failed me even with all these points. Makes me sad cause Mastodon's closest alternative also took a major step back it seems. But oh well. I can only wonder how I woulda felt if I hadn't heard Blue and Red albums first.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.12.14 at 05:56 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.15, 04:56 PM   #45
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Have a question for Jihad, how would you rate your top 10 albums out of 100? Suppose the White Album gets 100/100.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.15, 06:10 PM   #46
Tokyo Jihad

This brings up an interesting conundrum. The first question that I raise is should these albums be on the same metric as The White Album. The White Album has been around for 44 years and there are chapters in books about it's creation, entire books devoted to it's appreciation, and the artists are some of the most well-chronicled figures in history. There are many-many stones unturned, whereas even as internet savvy as he may be, I know very very little about Frank Ocean and Channel Orange outside of the record. The next question is would I even consider The White Album, my reigning favorite album ever, a 100/100, and what does it even mean to be that? I might sooner consider Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea 100/100's which doubly questions the metric.

When I would review Tokyo Jihen releases here I would always debate whether I should even have a grade/rank. They are a very useful shorthand, and I always look to them before I read/watch a review. The problem is that I have yet to land on a metric or scale I liked to describe my personal opinion. I hope to come to a conclusion soon, but it won't be tonight.

I am going to cop out and say I can't really grade these albums on that scale. At least yet. I can scale them against each other easily though and that's the list I have posted. The list is an adequate gauge of my feelings on these records. Though I do understand the preference to a gauge less relative, I can't yet provide one that I feel comfortable with. I hope that makes sense.
Old 2012.12.15, 06:22 PM   #47
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

So what about 2012 in Japan?

DG mentioned Mariko, and we all know about the clusterfuck release of TJ and the death of Shiina Ringo, but did anything else happen?

I've been reading some stuff about Shibuya-kei/Japanese indie music lately and I'm having a revived interest in stuff that comes out of Japan.

MEANWHILE:
When I first read your list I skipped the very first paragraph and thought "NO JACK WHITE!?". I am loving his album right now. It sounds so fresh and new, but it brings up so many nostalgic memories. I was raised on 60's/70's classic/blues/prog-rock and it really hits close to home for personal reasons.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2012.12.15 at 06:27 PM.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.15, 06:27 PM   #48
deadgrandma

Jack Whites album is good... For about 2 weeks. I found it to get old, fast, the problem most "Insta-hit" albums have for me.
Old 2012.12.15, 06:31 PM   #49
Tokyo Jihad

You're liking the Jack White album? I thought it was pretty good too, just like I said though, there were more albums I liked than 50.

On another note, that's pretty exciting that you liked Central Reservation and Trailer Park enough to check out Sugaring Season. Everyone usually ignores me when I go on and on about Beth Orton since she's not the typical kind of artist one gets too excited about.
Come back around to Sugaring Season, its a good record! You probably enjoyed the more electronically dressed songs like "Stolen Car" and "Galaxy of Emptiness" which there are none of on her latest. She had weenedd those kind of songs away over the years and not goes for an almost totally bare and acoustic sound. (Not too unlike Fiona Apple's latest)
Old 2012.12.15, 06:39 PM   #50
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Every time Ringo dies, she resurrects from hell and becomes stronger, like Phoenix Ikki from Saint Seiya.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote