Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Product Reviews & Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Product Reviews & Information Discuss singles, albums, and DVDs.

Old 2009.08.29, 05:59 AM   #51
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Its a stealth tokyo jihen "phase 3" audition album.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.29, 09:01 AM   #52
LoverlyBijouu

LoverlyBijouu pleased at least somebody

Irokoizata was an okay video. Not mind blowing, but it was pleasent.
Except that hair. Who on Earth honestly thinks it's okay for her hair to look like that?!
Since I don't like Iro all that much, it's okay that the pv wasn't that great.

I'm glad the pvs don't bother with the preconceived images I had in my head paired with each song. So the pvs don't ruin the song for me or something.
LoverlyBijouu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.29, 02:22 PM   #53
freackled

freackled is headed in the right direction

I bought some stuff from Trader Joes today and noticed this image on the bag:

Haha..
freackled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.29, 02:44 PM   #54
Lustau

Lustau is headed in the right direction
Default Tsugou no Ii Karada

Irokoizata:

A Ringo with a tail! Who could ask for anything more?

In all seriousness, it didn't do anything for me, and yes, her hair is weird.

Tsugou no Ii Karada:

I enjoyed this tremendously. I think Kuro Neko is the one who said "all her fans want is her," and I can't imagine anything more SR than a Disney-Bjork-ballet-childish-sexy-Alice in Wonderland extravaganza like this. She looks like she's having a blast, and my main reaction to the video is to feel happy for her.

Also, she looks spectacular in the Flaming June dress.

Why is it that her dancing is so charming in this video, but not in Irokoizata? My guess is that her interaction with her animated friends gives it the whimsy and imagination that makes it recognizably Ringo. My world needs more dancing coatracks and pillows and flying scales.

And does fit with everything else, but I still felt weird about cartoon Ringo's mammalian goodness. Damn. You're a musical genius, you don't need superjugs. But there is an appealing symmetry in it:

3d Ringo = flat, 2d Ringo = not flat.

So fun.
Lustau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.29, 02:49 PM   #55
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

In descending order of my enjoyment.
1) MaruSad endroll - To me it's an old Shiina/new Shiina blend. Plus, short and sweet.
2) Shun - Sensual in just the right way for me
3) Tsugou - Fun, more New Shiina, goes well with song.
4) Ryuukou - Fun, but only for the first few seconds. Then boring.
5) Irokoizata - Meh.
Old 2009.08.29, 04:15 PM   #56
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Also in descending order of my enjoyment, excluding MaruSad because it's not really a video.

1. Ii Karada: As ShadyNook and so cold put it, it's an FU to the fans in the most entertaining way possible. Also ironic. Plus we see 'Old Ringo' through the dancing.

2. Shun: The closest this collection of PVs has gotten to portraying a weirder Ringo.

3. Iroikazata: Suits the song. But terribly forgettable.

4 Ryuukou: This is her worst video ever, IMO. Poor man's Beyonce video. It isn't the catwalk motif I'm against, it's just that song's subject matter should have given this video a more ironic/self-aware slant. Ringo's face in the monitors tips it over the edge for me.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.29, 05:04 PM   #57
s3r3nity

s3r3nity is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
4 Ryuukou: It isn't the catwalk motif I'm against, it's just that song's subject matter should have given this video a more ironic/self-aware slant.
IAWTC. I tried to say something like this originally but worded it poorly. This song could have had an awesome, ironic, biting, PV, but instead we got meh. I bet if Shiina took more control we would have gotten what we wanted. (Wishful thinking?)
Old 2009.08.29, 07:47 PM   #58
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

but the song isn't ironic and biting. its just on the edge of having that slant, but it doesn't actually go into that category. it kind of has an interesting message about what is popular for women in Japan, but it isn't as in your face and harsh as a lot of Ringo's earlier work. the video, IMO, suits the song very well. its sleek, hip, beautifully shot and rendered, and Ringo looks words apart and away in the hotness factor, whereas in the other videos on this release she just looks bad/old/sweaty. I get why you guys don't like it, that its just kind of vapid, her strutting down a catwalk, but it puts the emphasis on the actual music. I personally hate over the top topical PV's with actors and a visual message, on top of the actual music, it just is too much to take in and seems to try to hard. this seemed natural and compliments the song.

irokoizata was just...at odds with the song. it would have been nice to have seen ringo having an affair, but instead we get scenescapes and ballet dancing (which isn't ringo, btw), and while irokoizata has a kind of bittersweet sentiment to it, the video almost makes cheating seem a wondrous and beautiful thing. kind of stupid.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.29, 08:09 PM   #59
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

A Yokyou video featuring Ringo with an electric guitar leading an army of cats would have been cool.
Old 2009.08.29, 11:28 PM   #60
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
and while irokoizata has a kind of bittersweet sentiment to it, the video almost makes cheating seem a wondrous and beautiful thing. kind of stupid.
What in the lyrics makes you think it's about cheating as opposed to just romance?
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote