Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2008.11.20, 12:46 AM   #191
meestawombat

meestawombat pleased at least somebody

Overrated:

Osca - Hard to explain. The short of my opinion is that it just doesn't work well. It also feels a little repetitive.
Superstar - Very boring! Climaxes don't work well and the way she says "superstar" doesn't really fit her unique voice.

Underrated:

Kaban No Nakami - I love the edge in the guitar playing (which seems very contrary to many people). I feel many people dismiss what Ukigumo brings to the group as random noises while I find it to add to the uniqueness of the group and even compliment Shina's own edgy voice. The ending solo builds to an amazing climax to this Beatles influenced song after all the drive and excitement from the drums and bass.

Touimei Ningen - More weird noises. Ukigumo is a genius.

Kokoro - ii - V - I hell, but gosh this song is beautiful. Shina shows her versatility by using a full-bodied voice in this song. The last few lines in the song are so fitting and really help wrap up such an emotionally adept piece.

Karada - I didn't like this one as much. Though it's sluggishly slow, the background keys and guitar really color and variety.

SSAW - Nice pop song. The chorus really is reminiscent of the seasons changing (in my interpretation). Chords are more interesting than normal pop tunes, too.

Kingyo no Hako - Nice guitar effects and I love how her voice moves so much.

Not overrated -

Shuraba - It's just EXCELLENT. The build up to the chorus is well done, and the chorus itself is just amazing. I prefer the Adult version.

Never gonna give you up - becuase, I'm never gonna let you down.
meestawombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.20, 01:25 AM   #192
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I just agree with your opinions on superstar, kokoro e kingyo

I like osca a lot, imo is one of the few likeable variety songs XP
toumei (adult ver.) and ssaw are shit (as also ukie is, imo LOL don't be offended XD)
karada i like, but not enough to say that is underrated

kaban is indeed a good song... just it

and shuraba adult ver. is meh compared to the single's, I luv shuraba single ver *-*

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.20, 01:49 AM   #193
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Well, given most of the posts in this thread, let me consider another underrated song: Superstar.

I love it =P
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.20, 06:30 AM   #194
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Osca is totally overrated.

And Superstar is great. its you guys that suck =P
Old 2008.11.20, 07:27 AM   #195
Masuku

Masuku pleased at least somebody

^ i agree with you about superstar

I thought being only one not really liking of OSCA.. yeah it's overrated and kind of gives me the feeling of repeptitiveness, even though there is something which I like in it and it is the ending, but sometimes it's a torture to get to the end which haves this thing i like.

underrated?
i keep on finding new loves from her disco i've already listened way too many times, but underrated.. 喪@CINコ瑠ヲュWァ
Masuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.11.20, 10:15 PM   #196
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Thought I'd post again instead of work on my big homework assignment that's due...

Most of these are forum-related since I don't talk to many SR/TJ lovers outside of this community.

Underrated

Yattsuke Shigoto (KSK version)
KSK's Yattsuke Shigoto seems underrated to me in the fact that people talk about Shuukyou, Meisai, Kuki, Okonomi de, and Shuukyou instead. Maybe I'm crazy (well, okay, I definitely AM crazy), but this song is the highlight of the album for me. I saw Frecklegirl giving it some love in the ZCS thread but other than that it seems like everyone on the board prefers the ZCS version. Even in my own thread about what version of her songs you like best, Orenji was the only person besides me who said KSK.

Blackout
This is almost strictly on EMF since I'm not really sure how this song is perceived elsewhere. Everybody talks about how much better Sounan is than Blackout, particularly the Neo-Jihen dissenters who make up the loudest screaming voice on the forum (though I wouldn't want you guys any other way ). But that's kind of like saying Jurassic Park is better than The Lost World. Yeah, the first one was better but it doesn't mean the second didn't have anything to offer. I love Izawa's piano and keyboard playing in Blackout and Uki has some really sweet cool guitar lines in it. And I almost always find myself tapping my feet or nodding my head to the chorus. It's so damn infectious. It makes a perfect late night freeway driving song too. Especially combined with Kabuki. In fact, it's probably my favorite song on Adult (Tegami lovers, you can now gasp!).

Kyogenshou
This is a great hook for an album. Since Shouso Strip was the first album I ever got of hers, this was the first song that I listened to in the car. A funny thing to mention, but I have a small level of Shiina Ringo nostalgia attached to it. I do not see nearly enough people on the forum praising this one, let alone talking about it. The most I've seen are people saying "It's a pretty good song" or "I don't hate it". This is one of my favorite tracks on the album. Out of all the songs, this is the most underrated, in my opinion. People practically forgets that it exists! But it is an incredibly awesome song.

Koi wa Maboroshi (GET IT UP FOR LOVE)I really wish this wasn't a Ned Doheny cover. Because if Tokyo Jihen wrote this I would probably praise Phase 2 a lot more than I do. Though they definitely get points for making this song awesome. I listened to the original and it was just awful. Practically unlistenable. But I cannot listen to this without moving my feet. Sometimes it gets so bad I almost turn into the nerdy dork from the music video. This isn't necessarily the forum underrating this song since I do see it get praise here. But it's more or less Ringo herself. Perform the damn song live already! I know she probably missed the opportunity since the Adult phase is over and there are probably better songs to add to a setlist. But I can't help but feel this one was neglected since she constantly threw Dynamite and The Lady Is A Tramp at us.

Also, to the haters, Uki plays some badass guitar in this.

Overrated

Morphine
I think it was Maou who mentioned that it was his favorite off of the album. It seems to get a lot of attention from others too. Now I don't hate this song, but I'm not really sure where the love is coming from. I guess I have the same opinion about this one that the forum seems to about Kyogenshou. It exists. From an album perspective, I think it ends on an anti-climactic note and I much prefer Izonshou and Souretsu as album-closers. Though I do think it's a better ending than Keikoku would have been. For some reason, that wouldn't feel right.

Stoicism
Yeah, that's right. I went there. I went right for the heart. This song is overrated. Hell, I admit that I like it too. But come on now. For the praise this song gets, you'd think it was an avant garde masterpiece. Oh, it's very fun and different sounding, don't get me wrong. But it makes for a terrible segue after Tsumi to Batsu. I think it would have worked better right after Identity. And it's hardly even a song. It's an experiment. An enjoyable one, but an experiment nonetheless.

I may regret putting Stoicism up there later but everything else I stand by wholeheartedly!
Old 2008.11.21, 02:06 AM   #197
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

I'm not gonna talk about Stoicism, and let my fanvideo express the love I have for that track =P

Just wanna say that Kyogenshou does get a lot of love, believe me. Maybe it isn't much expressed here, but I know me and Yahiko absolutely adore it And I've noticed most Shouso Strip fans always love that track as well. But for some reason, yes, I've noticed as well, it doesn't get mentioned very often in EMF.

Also, Koi wa Maboroshi was performed live already, in DOMESTIC! Virgin LINE. And if you notice the end of Rakujitsu (single), it has a bit of a live performance of KwM as well, altough I'm not sure from which concert.
I agree, tho, that she could perform it more yes, instead of so much Dynamite, for a change.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.06, 06:19 AM   #198
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community
Default More objective measure of over/underratedness

Based on what I've read so far of this thread, people have mostly based their ratings on anecdotal evidence: 1.) saw many people praise song A, I don't think it deserve it -> overrated, 2.) don't see many people praise song B, I think it's great -> underrated. After going along this line for while, people gather enough data to say things like: many people think song A is underrated, but it's quite mediocre -> overrated underrated song etc. which is somewhat amusing to read.

Intuitively, a situation where the majority thinks a song is underrated/overrated is nonsensical: since most people agree with each other they should believe that the song is given its proper rating, only the minority has the right to stake the claim that a certain song is overrated/underrated. When we label a song over/underrated, we are basically disagreeing with the majority opinion. The problem we have is that we don't really 'know' with great certainty what most of the fans think.

Another thing to think about is scope: whose opinion do you want to comment about? You may not care about what the general public thinks about Superstar, but do care about what other EMF members think.

Polls are one way to gather information about people's opinion, however, with such a large number of songs, one person one vote would not provide sufficient information about people's preferences. I suggest that we gather information about people's opinion using the Condorcet/Schulze method.

It's a preferential voting system, so we'll have to rank the entire Ringo catalogue (the system allows for 'ties' and 'no opinion'). I know it's sort of a large undertaking, so I don't know how enthusiastic people are about this.

If you are worried how to implement the vote, a guy at Cornell University has setup a free Internet Condorcet Voting Service that makes it easier to conduct such a vote. There are two modes: public and private elections. The public one is one IP address per vote, while the private one requires voters to provide their email address. Any suggestions as to which one we should use?

Maybe I'll pique your interest by starting with a simpler task of ranking SR/TJ's albums first?
Edit 1: I know this is off topic, but you can go here to vote on your preferences about SR/TJ albums.

Last edited by D.K.Liu : 2009.02.06 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Added link to SR/TJ Albums poll
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.06, 07:53 AM   #199
Jonny

Jonny puts considerable thought into their posts

Well yeah but KZK is still overrated... here on the forums... I'm not sure how people on the whole (world) rate it. I guess in Japan, the general Joe, most people just remember songs from MM/SS.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.06, 07:59 AM   #200
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I've just voted but can Watashi to Houden be classed as a real choice when it's basically a compilation with most of Zecchoushuu on it?
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote