Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.07.07, 03:01 PM   #301
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

BEST.
Yu Yu Hakusho Intro

Also, that show ruled, and the dub was phenomenal. SWORD GET LONGER.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.08, 06:33 PM   #302
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

I just read a really interesting article about RGU.

In it the writer talked about how Utena still classifies as a shoujo anime, but it was created during a time when Ikuhara revolutionized the way shoujo was told by actually showing girls committing acts of violence. up until that point, all shoujo depicted human relationships and emotions through dialogue. Sailor Moon caused a huge storm because it actually showed girls kicking butt. they were kicking and head butting and committing violent ugly acts, but they looks so beautiful and cute the entire time, it caused a huge stir. Utena was the next logical evolution to this, what Ikuhara did (the director) is quite brilliant, he took a very obtuse story about relationships and set the climax of every scenario to a duel, where the characters physically interacted and fought through their emotions.

btw I just got the first box set and I was blown away by the audio/video remastering. It looks like old school anime but the video holds up amazingly well on my 50 inch plasma/bluray setup. it looks AMAZING.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.09, 01:34 AM   #303
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Just watched the OVA "Roujin Z". It was really good and still poignant today. Why can't people recommend me anime of this quality/style? (Instead of something like Full Metal Panic or Deathnote)
Old 2011.07.10, 12:57 PM   #304
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

So, I have a question:

How is it possible that the same person who wrote FLCL, Utena, and some Evangelion also wrote OURAN HIGH SCHOOL HOST CLUB!?
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.10, 04:03 PM   #305
BlueApple

BlueApple is an asset to this community

Because the source material is from completely different people.
BlueApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.10, 06:07 PM   #306
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
So, I have a question:

How is it possible that the same person who wrote FLCL, Utena, and some Evangelion also wrote OURAN HIGH SCHOOL HOST CLUB!?
He is a screen writer, which is a bit different than directing or creating concepts. As far as Utena goes, the entire thing was Kunihiko Ikuhara's mad daydream for which he assembled a special team, Be-Papas, for the purpose of creating Utena. Between Ikuhara, Enokido, and Chiho Saito, the series was born more or less. As far as Eva goes, I think it had more to do with the Hideaki Anno. I have no idea what is up with Ouran High School Host Club lol
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.10, 10:05 PM   #307
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

Are you saying Ouran is cheap fluff compared to those shining pinnacles of cultural touchstones? Because Ouran is amazing and has deep parts too. I get the feeling you're basing this off a general impression of Ouran rather than actually sitting down and watching the whole series (and for bonus points reading the manga too). I'd choose Ouran over Evangelion any day, at least it isn't boring and pretentious.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.11, 05:54 AM   #308
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Hey, I HAVE watched all of Ouran, and read most of the manga. It was during my "anime otaku" phase.

The thing is, Evangelion is a literary deconstruction of mecha anime. Utena deconstructs shoujo anime. FLCL is, like, a deconstruction of a deconstruction of the entire anime genre (but mostly sci-fi). Ouran, as good as it is, is not a literary deconstruction of the harem genre.

In reality, it's pretty much a generic harem anime with the genders reversed on all the characters. That doesn't means it isn't good, or has deep parts, but it doesn't do anything really innovative in terms of storytelling.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.07.18, 10:07 AM   #309
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Ouran bored the crap out of me. Like, painfully bored.

I read somewhere that FLCL, having some of the staff from NGE and naturally having been produced by Gainax, was meant to be somewhat of an intentional deconstruction of Evangelion itself, basically taking a lot of the themes from NGE and spinning them in the ridiculously irreverent, complete opposite direction. Don't know if that's at all true, but I can certainly see the parallels.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.16, 02:08 AM   #310
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

I've just started watching Cowboy Bebop and even though I've only seen the first episode of the series so far, I'm beginning to doubt Firefly's authenticity (and I'm quite fond of that show!). Having said that though, I think I'm already in love with the show (and that's just based entirely on the opening credits, lol).
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote