Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2013.11.30, 05:04 AM   #531
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

So, I put my reservations aside and finally went to see the new version Carrie (it's actually only just come out here in Australia). Pleasantly surprised to be honest. It managed on the most part, to keep me riveted and involved as much as the original. Sure, Chloe-Grace Moretz is a pretty hard to believe outcast (she's, well, to put it bluntly A FOX) but she manages to pull off the role pretty well.

The bullying has been amped up a bit to the modern age, the girls are far nastier than the original, and the pig blood looks epically repulsive. The supporting cast are hit and miss. Not sure what I think of Julianne Moore's take on Mageret White, but it's still a pretty creepy (albeit occasionally unintentionally funny) performance.

The gore is pretty decent, give or take some pretty shit CGI that I was kind of expecting anyway.

Not as good as the original, better than the tele-movie. I'd give it 3.5/5
Old 2013.12.08, 09:20 PM   #532
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

Has anyone seen this new Hollywood adventure that is Spike Lee's Oldboy remake? Because I'm a little bit curious, even if the clear trend among the reviews at IMDB isn't exactly unpredictable.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.09, 03:07 AM   #533
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I haven't liked any Spike Lee Joints except Do The Right Thing...
Old 2013.12.09, 07:26 AM   #534
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I want to see The Wolf of Wall Street so bad I can taste it.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.10, 05:04 PM   #535
deadgrandma

Godzilla

Looks like Gozilla got Nolan'd.

I have a feeling that this trailer may end up being better than the actual movie...

Intrigued nonetheless.
Old 2013.12.13, 12:01 AM   #536
NCORE

NCORE has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I went to see the Desolation of Smaug yesterday. Quite dissapointed with Smaug to be honest, high expectations I suppose but ['Possible Smaug Spoiler'] I would've liked a less T-rex feel to a dragon; four legs and wings as opposed to two legs and stupid little bungling arms; isn't there a difference between Wyverns and dragons?

Sob sob. Oh well, we've still got the book and imagination land.
NCORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.12.13, 03:19 AM   #537
deadgrandma

^ I don't think I'll be disappointed. I have no expectations whatsoever after the first part.
Old 2014.01.19, 06:02 AM   #538
deadgrandma

Movies don't come much more near perfect as Her. Just watch it, it's easily as great as Spike Jonze's earlier films, and runs rings around Where the Wild Things Are. A very welcome return to form and one of the most interesting and original takes on science fiction and romance to come our way in a long time. The score (by Arcade Fire) is really gorgeous too, it's a pity it hasn't got an official OST. Only the most nit-picky for the sake of being nit-picky audience members will find something to dislike.
Old 2014.01.19, 06:15 AM   #539
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Then surely I will!
/joking
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.01.19, 06:08 PM   #540
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Watched some movies over the weekend.

Horror:

Carrie remake (2013): nowhere as good as the original. Nothing new except the students now can record videos with a cellphone. The ending is more humane than the original. 5/10

You're Next (2011): fun slasher, plot holes everywhere and insults my intelligence, but some scenes made me almost jump. Good background music. 7.5/10

American Mary (2012): acting is terrible, ending is disappointing, average sadistic horror movie. 5.5/10

Thriller:

The Firm (1993): decided to check this out after watching Wall Street, too ridiculous for my liking, and too long. 6/10

The Killer Inside Me (2010): feels like a Raymond Chandler novel, great plot, lots of women's buttocks... 8/10
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote