Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.04.12, 05:12 PM   #7641
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
The Grates

Better than Yeah Yeah Yeahs!

And of course, completely unavailable outside of Australia.

So that makes now 3 albums I want that are ONLY available in Australia.
I live in Australia... and they're all cheap right now...

And yeah... amazing, amazing band... especially live. I've seen them a whole bunch of times... And Patience is plain gorgeous.A

And damn it, listen to Teeth Lost, Hearts Won... it has STORMS AND FEVERS on it!

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2012.04.12 at 05:17 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.04.13, 08:24 AM   #7642
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
@Jihad/Maou: how do you rate Melissa Auf Der Maur? (Looks and music). I think she's pretty awesome when she wants to be.
Best bassist to ever perform as a member of the Smashing Pumpkins. He solo stuff is a mixed bag, but you can find some good stuff in there.

CLT:

James Iha - To Who Knows Where

It's just a clip, but I couldn't resist. I love James Iha. This song destroys most of Corgan's faux-Pumpkins material. Good album, but much of it doesn't live up to the lead single.
Old 2012.04.13, 10:01 AM   #7643
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Kahimi Karie - Tiny King Kong
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.04.14, 07:35 AM   #7644
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
how do you rate Melissa Auf Der Maur? (Looks and music). I think she's pretty awesome when she wants to be.
I really like that song:

Out of Our Minds
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.04.14, 06:21 PM   #7645
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

Brian Eno - Kurt's Rejoinder

The title a tribute to Kurt Schwitter, and including a rare contemporary radio recording of one of his works.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2012.04.14 at 06:41 PM.
Old 2012.04.15, 06:09 PM   #7646
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

Brian Eno - Spaced
Old 2012.04.15, 08:25 PM   #7647
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Vengerov plays Wieniawski Variations Op. 15

It is really a whole different experience if you hear a virtuoso in a small room.

My school hired the Singapore Symphonic Orchestra principle violinist to become our mentor for our strings club. He played Mendelssohn violin concerto (I don't know which one). It was awe-some. Literally. My jaw was open. It was a very private setting. So I guess he unleashed all his personality and musicality into it.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.04.16, 01:39 AM   #7648
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

the chorus to this one really reminds me of kinjirareta asobi:

matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.04.16, 09:52 AM   #7649
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

(new) Albums I'm digging right now:

Beth Jeans Houghton & the Hooves of Destiny - Yours Truly, Cellophane Nose.

Beth Jeans Houghton has put out one of the finest, most ambitious pop albums I've heard in a while. The music she and her band puts out definitely skews more baroque and freak-folky but it definitely comes together in this grandiose epic pop debut. I've pimped this album in private the last few weeks, I definitely think this is an album that will stick with me come December. This feels alot like KZK to me, moreso than any album since.
---

BadBadNotGood - BBNG2

This album proudly proclaims that "no one over the age of 21 was involved" in its recording. If you think jazz is only easy, mellow lounge crap, definitely check this out to hear some real magnetic sounds. (Plus its absolutely free!) In addition to some harsh originals, BadBadNotGood offers a couple of Odd Future covers, a couple of James Blake covers that I really love, and an unexpected cover of My Bloody Valentines' "You Made me Realize."
----

THEESatisfaction - awE naturalE

The above two albums breath life into often stale genres, and this album is cut from the same cloth -- this time RnB-Soul. Theesatisfaction brings in some great attitude and bite over this awesomely produced backdrop (aided from guest Ishmael Butler of Shabazz Palaces. Fans of the latter will definitely want to check out the former.) When I think of soul, I think of laughably soul-less, tired songs from Mary J. Blige or washed up acts like the recent album from Monica -- stuff you' be comfortable giving to your parents. awE naturalE on the other hand is earnest with fierce purpose and, dare I say, rocks.
(Check out last year's Shabazz Palaces' Black Out too if you haven't.)
-----

Bronx Cheerleader - Real Punks Don't Sing About Girls

I earlier posted about Screaming Females' new album Ugly; The Men are another act with alot of buzz off their recent, great, album Open Your Heart. One album right up there in those ranks is the new album from Bronx Cheerleader. Like the other two albums I mentioned, there isn't a whole lot of experimentation, but refinement of the art of rock. Quality songwriting with strong hooks and enough emotion and character to make it stand out of the pack.
------

Pg.Lost Key

Teslaguy posted an Anoice song earlier, I have actually been enjoying their latest Black Rain quite a bit. However I've been going back and forth between that album and this album by Pg.Lost. Pg.Lost is a post-rock outfit from Sweden, so you know they're legit. This album is a little more unique than Anoice's recent (which, while it has some great sweeping moments, gets a little too "Godspeed" at times) has character and doesn't fall into some of the post-rock trappings. Each song stands out and holds your attention without becoming a musical screensaver (like last year's Explosions in the Sky record.)

Lots of good music to check out! Maybe at the end of the month I'll do a quick rundown of the first third of the year!

-------

CLT: Spiritualized: Sweet Heart Sweet Light. Digging it so far!
--------

Probably my most anticipated album right now (apart from new Dirty Projectors) is the Karmin album. I'm really looking forward to listening to that album. It is going to be awful!

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2012.04.16 at 09:59 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.04.16, 06:40 PM   #7650
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

レコライド (RECORIDE)【星屑のmp3】PV

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2012.04.16 at 07:05 PM.