Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2013.07.02, 07:23 AM   #8481
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

REM are another fun band to listen to if you like to hear bands crash and burn with later stuff :-p

Yep, their current suck-hole is probably deeper than even Tori's. Their albums Up and Around the Sun gets the equivalent amount of (possibly unfair, I dunno, I didn't ever bother to listen more than once) wretched hate as Variety does in their respective fan base. So you know you're gonna have fun with that :-p

But yeah, I'd say go as far as Monster for now before you delve into "nu-REM" :-p. Does every band inevitably have a "I liked your old stuff better than your new stuff" period?

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.02 at 07:34 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.02, 07:28 AM   #8482
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

They mercifully broke up. So there's that!
Old 2013.07.02, 04:00 PM   #8483
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
But yeah, I'd say go as far as Monster for now before you delve into "nu-REM" :-p. Does every band inevitably have a "I liked your old stuff better than your new stuff" period?
Pretty much every band unless you break up early at least goes through a period like that (some come back and make great new stuff again after a period of sub-par stuff though).

Last edited by thefro : 2013.07.02 at 04:04 PM.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.02, 09:02 PM   #8484
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default Speaking of 90s revivalism. . .

Not sure I will change my mind about the rock side of it, but while I was unenthusiastic about the idea of 90s revivalism, it turns out a fair amount of the electronic dance music I'm enjoying these days derives heavily from the 90s (UK garage, especially, apparently).

That Fat White Family video looks like it might be too much for me to deal with right now, before I go to bed. Maybe tomorrow.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.03, 05:48 AM   #8485
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by thefro View Post
Pretty much every band unless you break up early at least goes through a period like that (some come back and make great new stuff again after a period of sub-par stuff though).
Been thinking about it. Only person I can think of that has pretty much unanimous love (not just from me) for entire collection that has been round 20+ years is PJ Harvey.
Old 2013.07.03, 07:11 AM   #8486
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Really? Exclude New Adventures in Hi-Fi? I was planning to go up to Up, maaybe Reveal if I was positive on it.
Old 2013.07.03, 03:52 PM   #8487
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Metrofarce -Portend 光のオベリスク

I feel I am finally ready for this band. The more I listen to "Stands" the more mind blown I am, truly amazing progressive rock. No wonder it's considered a 'masterpiece'. Went whole hog and purchased their boxset "PAST FUTURE ANIMATORS STAND ON GAIA", featuring expanded versions of their 3 albums Past Future Animators, Stands and Gaia. Also has a track featuring Jun Togawa that I cannot obtain anywhere else and a live DVD.

Any Metrofarce fans here?
This is quite good. I shall be investigating further.

And please, you know you bought it because of the exclusive Togawa track.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.03, 06:58 PM   #8488
deadgrandma

Well it helped in gaining my attention. Its a great set regardless, the Togawa track is the cherry on top:

GAIA LIVE 玉姫様 VERSION]

(Them vocals are just... awesome)

If you get the set, start with disc 2 though, its just great. If you like it enough and consider buying, grab it ASAP cause its OOP everwhere except Amazon, who have 1 left after I ordered (it was 2 left before). Oh and it ain't cheap... Be warned.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2013.07.04 at 07:50 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.04, 07:23 AM   #8489
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer
Default X - 4th of July

X - 4th of July
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.04, 06:33 PM   #8490
deadgrandma

Ughh does the new Bullits song feat. Tori Amos song suck or not? I can't tell anymore, I have a feeling I'm blinded by hate/stubbornness to change much like Jihad on Ringo :-p

Wait Until Tomorrow (feat Tori Amos)

Regardless, I don't think it's very interesting, but I do like that it sounds like 'classic' Tori at least.