Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.12.08, 09:58 AM   #41
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Now that you all mentioned the gay thing.
Maybe there are more gays than there are guys in this predominantly male memberbase.
(Not that I care anyway.)
Old 2007.12.08, 10:22 AM   #42
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

how about a poll

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.08, 11:30 AM   #43
alleon86

alleon86 is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
how about a poll
dont think it's a good idea to single them out.
alleon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.08, 12:33 PM   #44
GENXiA

GENXiA pleased at least somebody

I've tried to convert people into SR/TJ fans, but most of those people are very ignorant and do not like what they don't understand (japanese) although I did send them Frecklegirl's translations >_<!!!
GENXiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.08, 01:41 PM   #45
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by nappyhead View Post
I agree with justriiingo about SR's voice being an acquired taste.
I had the same experience myself, and sometimes, even now, I remember my first reactions, realizing I absolutely ADORE her voice now.

I managed to turn one coworker on to her, and he is now a fanatic. He had just started learning Japanese, had just taken his first trip to Japan, and is already heavily into American indy and alternative bands, so it was an easy sell. I have snuck her onto a mixed CD I sent to many friends last summer, and I have a number of friends who are willing to give anything a listen if I make them CDs, so I have given them numerous mixes. No fanatics yet, but I think they trust my taste, and my opinion that she is a genius does mean something to them. My brother had given me KSK, and although I realized there was something there, it took me a full year to really get it. I would listen to parts of it every once in a while, and gradually it grew on me, until I finally realized the truth.

One good way to expose people to TJ, show them the first 5 songs off of Dynamite Out!, loud.
natsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.08, 04:56 PM   #46
newyorkjihen

newyorkjihen pleased at least somebody

I don't know why people think her voice is an acquired taste. I loved the screechy right from the start. Good god man! Her voice is phenomenal.

I haven't had much luck convincing anyone I know personally. They could care less, probably language barrier problems. They're just not going to invest any time in foreign bands.

However, last night in some random IRC room someone came in asking about some Puffy song, and mentioned she was a Tool fan looking for japanese bands. So I mentioned three youtube links- Honnou PV, Tsumi to Batsu PV, and that live performance of Yattsuke Shigoto. I think it was a win.
newyorkjihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.08, 05:27 PM   #47
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by alleon86 View Post
dont think it's a good idea to single them out.
maybe it's not a good idea to single the heterosexuals out

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.08, 09:23 PM   #48
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by makenshiww View Post
hm.... unfortunately..

many things i can agree with

shiina =

2. voice is definetly an aquired listen.

4. you have to be at a certain music to development.. to listen to her

6. most people are not just sophisticated enough musically to except her talent or TJ for that matter.... She is music from a different perspective.
I agree with 2 and disagree with 4 and 6. I guess newbies should be eased in with songs like Gibs, Kabukichou or something less squeaky . But the elitist view on SR music I have to disagree with. if more about personal taste than musical development me thinks.
Old 2007.12.08, 09:31 PM   #49
evilBOXevil

evilBOXevil pleased at least somebody

most people are not just sophisticated enough musically to except her talent or TJ for that matter.... She is music from a different perspective.
This is one of the funniest things ever posted on here!!!!
"sophisticated enough musically"?!!!! HAHAHA!!! and a vintage Vox phantom (which was made by a furniture company out of plywood) is a great guitar, right?!

"She is music from a different perspective." HAHA!!! I think Ukigumo is posting on here!!!
And what perspective is that? Looking out from inside a monkey's ass?

*edit*makenshiww is actually Ukigumo*/edit*

"you don't go in my bathroom with me"

Last edited by evilBOXevil : 2007.12.08 at 09:35 PM. Reason: because I feel like it.
evilBOXevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.12.08, 09:44 PM   #50
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Kasanagi View Post
Yea nobody likes her voice... a sudden glimsp into the workings of the universe must've been require for people to "click" onto her music...

I do have a friend who's a big hikki fan and a casual SR/TJ fan, but he's only into a few songs like gips, superstar etc
really? usually I will be playing her and someone will comment going "I LOVE this girl's voice!"

then again I do have pretty ecclectic friends. Either way you got to know your audience. If someone is listening to Top 40 they aren't going to care about Ringo, whether she sings in English or not.

and about ringo and gays

a strong, feral-sounding woman who bangs her guitar, molests nurses, and dresses in thousand dollar outfits?

I wonder why the gay men adore her....
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote