Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2010.04.16, 03:19 AM   #51
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Sigh... goodbye, Ugly Betty.

I can't say I'm too upset over anything, and they wrapped it all up as best they could on such short notice. I just wish there was more...
thats what a movie is for!

I've read both Ana Ortiz (Hilda) and America Ferrera have started a push towards a movie. If Sex and the City 2 makes a ton of money, I think they might consider it. I'm not sure if it would be a reboot or a continuation of the show, but either way it would be a movie!
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.16, 07:53 AM   #52
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Ugly Betty ended...and I've stopped watching Glee (I didn't go back to it after the break. And it seems my fears for that show came true anyway). Alas, I'm watching two TV shows at the moment: Community (Liked this so much that I caught up in a week) and Friday Night Lights, which I can't believe I missed the first time round. So it's all good in TV land.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.16, 11:49 AM   #53
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Yes, Ugly Betty ended. That really sucked, but at least it got a four year run. Most shows that came even close to being as clever as Betty usually tank in two. But it does suck. At least it was shot in real NYC instead of in front of a silly LA green screen in it's last seasons.

Never was part of the Glee club, but hold hopes out for Community. 30 Rock remains my fave.

And Lost? Better be awesome. Confusing, multi-dimensional ending is probable. Just make it intriguing and multi million explo cool.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.16, 01:42 PM   #54
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

The last few episodes of Glee have been good. The first couple when it returned weren't so great. I'm loving Community. I've started Arrested Development too, which is fantastic.

Airing at the moment, Lost is obviously my favourite. Fringe has been fantastic as of late; the first half of the finale was brilliant. Flash Forward has been canceled which is just as well as I don't really care about any of the characters at all. Breaking Bad has been great. House and 24 have been solid, but both are running out of ideas. Makes sense to put Bauer to rest, but they're going out on a solid run which is good as the season started a bit slowly.

'V' is a strange one. Some aspects of it are just straight bad, and I don't really love it, but it's entertaining enough to keep me watching. That won't last though unless the quality really picks up. Stargate Universe is good. Not great, not bad. Started catching up with Chuck which I'm really enjoying. Just feel good fun, and exactly what I needed. The Pacific has been fantastic, as expected. Not quite as good as Band of Brothers though.

Looking forward to Dexter starting after the fantastic fourth season and a game changing finale and True Blood starts soon which I really enjoy. Good, camp tongue-in-cheek fun.
Old 2010.05.17, 07:31 AM   #55
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I've been following both FlashForward and V, and it's really a shame that V was the series ABC decided to renew.

What I both love and hate about V, is that everyone is so two-faced. I don't particularly like (m)any of the characters though. I'm semi-anxious to see which party is the closest to uncovering the other party first, but I was much more anxious for that kind followthrough with The Departed (where I found my loyalty torn between the opposing characters).

Some of the FlashForward characters are much more likable than any of the V characters. Plus FlashForward has some LOST-like (note: LOST-like - not LOST-equivalent) carrots they've dangled in front of our face(s). When LOST finally ends, FlashForward was the only other show ABC had even the slightest chance of captivating the same audience with, and that's why I think it's a big mistake for them to cancel it.
Old 2010.05.27, 03:07 PM   #56
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

The only thing that is annoying me about FNL so far is that they resolve too many conflicts by tying a neat bow on top. Actually it's not necessarily just FNL -- it's something that has stood out to me about TV drama ever since I watched The Wire. I think I made a mistake by watching it as early as I did because I can't help but compare everything to it.

Still, FNL is amazing. The characters are just -- there are some crazy talented people in this world, that's all I have to say. How do they do it?

Aaand I discovered today that the show hasn't ended.

Oh, I know this was a while ago, but I wouldn't hold my breath for an UB movie. I mean, Sex and the City is different because it's Sex and the City. An UB movie would be crap anyway.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2010.05.27 at 03:10 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.30, 06:03 AM   #57
EmilScherbe
nameless monster

EmilScherbe knows what you did last summerEmilScherbe knows what you did last summer

I'm watching Giro d'Italia 2010 final stage.
EmilScherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.05.30, 06:54 AM   #58
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Oh, I know this was a while ago, but I wouldn't hold my breath for an UB movie. I mean, Sex and the City is different because it's Sex and the City. An UB movie would be crap anyway.
an Ugly Betty reboot movie would probably do quite well considering the large general fanbase the show and the original had coupled with the immense Latin community in the States. the idea that the show wasn't popular or lost an audience is bs, if you actually pay attention to how ABC handled it they flat out stopped marketing it after the 2nd season (much when it started to get decline in viewers) and repeatedly switched its night, many people flat out didn't even know it was still on. this is arguably related to the inflating production costs. I imagine the same will happen with Glee once it starts being so popular, the amount of money it must take just to produce an episode between licensing and staging is immense and once it starts to not be worth it to the studio, they will drop its promotion, stick it on fridays, and watch it fade away. Considering the show made America a huge success and the relative power of some of the people invested (America, Vanessa Williams, Salma Hayek), I wouldn't be surprised if they could pull their weight and get it off off the ground if they want to. That being said, I don't think it will happen for a few years.

If Strangers With Candy can get a movie, I don't see why UB couldn't.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.01, 01:04 AM   #59
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I was intrigued by V when it was originally touted as a reprise of the serviceable, but kind of lame mid-eighties mini-series. Good aliens turn out to be evil aliens and we struggle and then eventually win. That sounded like good cheap fun. But when I found out that it was being renewed I was bummed. I'm undoubted biased as I remember the really pretty dumb original, and was perhaps naively hoping that the creators of V2.0 would re-interpret this 1950's vintage, barely drive-in movie worthy, silly sci-fi trope, juice it with some awesome 2010 special effects, and create something modestly awesome. But that was obviously silly of me. If the evil aliens actually win, I'll watch a rerun of that episode. Bit I'll skip the rest.

Ugly Betty reboot movie? That would be excellent. What I really hope is that it's awesome actors, writers, and designers will now be afforded the opportunities to do some more remarkable things.

Fringe. I have so many high hopes for this show. It is bursting with talent. So far, so good.

Jersey Shore. I just recently became aware of this, but hey, I'm a generation removed. When I was in my early twenties, lowbrow popular culture was metaphorically equivalent to a swarm of annoying gnats that I had to continually bat away from my face, unavoidably omnipresent, but a generation later, with so much intriguing information spilling in from everywhere that competes for my attention, I am sometimes behind the times. I wake up to NPR radio, click on NYT and WPost, and go.

Jersey Shore was intriguing. A melange of the unknown and familiar. As a college student, I had a memorable Mid-Atlantic boardwalk beach summer in Ocean City Maryland, but we didn't have any "guidos". I never even heard of the term until many years later. No one was ethnocentric, we we all just 21 and doing what ever we damn well pleased, within reason (usually).

I heard "guido" the first time some 17 years later. I had just moved up to Brooklyn, NYC, and was initially staying with a friend at the war zone edge of a decent neighborhood. I guess I was a bit unprepared, and was surprised that all street level businesses rolled down thick steel shutters at the end of the day. And when cars zoomed down deserted Fifth Avenue around midnight, blasting angry urban music off of the armored, reflective street level surfaces and into their 5th story loft, my friend's wife said "fucking guidos!". And I said,"what's a giudo?" She then went off on a rather indelicate diatribe about how they were arrogant, reprehensibly ignorant Southern Italian scum. Oh.

---Let me say right now that she was not American. Maybe French, maybe German, (those specifics are inconsequential), but certainly a New Yorker as that label transcends origin. Caustic but not hyperbolic. Probably a bit mean and unkind. But raw and honest.---

But anyway, I watched some of this Jersey Shore show, and it was taking place in Seaside Heights, the hometown of my best friend in my freshman year in college. Al DelMonte. Italian-American. Jersey Shore born and bred. A champion goalie. And really bright.

And proudly Jersey. What was Jersey to him?
Bruuuuuuce!
Springsteen.

A dude who was working his ass off for four hours on stage and giving his fans more than what they paid for.

Real New Jersey is so not these transient jokers, but there are an awful lot of them, unfortunately.

So, whatever, I've known Jersey shore guys and been exposed to some real guidos too, and know that this audience is probably astute enough to recognize that MTV is forced to dredge deeper each time they have a hit.

Can American TV ever get possibly better or worse? Yes.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2010.06.01 at 01:18 AM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.06.21, 03:20 PM   #60
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I'm currently watchin the Doctor Who reboot. I'm now at season 2, just watched the double episode The Impossible Planet and Satans Pit.
I didn't really liked the show when it started, but know it became better with every episode. This double feature elevated the whole show to a completely new level.
The most awesome Scifi episodes I've ever seen on television.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote