Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.12.08, 07:56 PM   #141
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by mizer_unmei View Post
YES

Majora's mask was the best. The end was kinda... lame if you got the final mask, and kinda impossible if you didn't. But the whole game and game play was my favorite. I loved getting to know and experience all these different people's lives through collecting the masks. I hope they do that again, where you really get into the person's daily life.

And I liked Twilight Princess. Again, not as timeless as Ocarina of Time, but still enjoyable. And omgoodness the spinner is AMAZING.
I truly feel ocarina of time will never be replicated because part of its appeal is to straddle the cute/kidesy/fantasy and adult/darker/mature line, partly because of the story, but mostly because of the system's graphic limitations. I mean, how adult can a polygon link really look? The problem with WW and TP for most people is that the former was too cartoony and kiddish and the latter is too dull or soulless or whatever, partly because of the idea to go with a more realistic approach. OoT had both because it was colorful and fun and light while still being dark and serious.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 03:15 AM   #142
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

But do you think OoT has aged well? I'm not specifically targeting that game; I haven't played it in a long while, but I think the PS1/N64 era has aged terribly. Early 3D models do not look good. I'm not a big Zelda fan, but I remember reading this quote on GAF from a couple of weeks ago from Eiji Aonuma:

If you play Ocarina of Time nowadays, you notice that it's not that good. Any present Zelda is technically superior. It's like I've been remaking it all these years. So if you ask me if there's going to be an OoT remake... I thought I was making it all this time! So maybe I haven't done well enough, I haven't been up to the expected level. Past things belong to our memories, and they grow bigger in there. But to best Ocarina of Time, a great change –- comparable to what happened back then -- must be introduced.
Old 2009.12.09, 03:45 AM   #143
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I have something of a soft spot for ropey 32-bit 3D. Gameplay is the most important! when I go back to games from that era it can be a little rough looking, but you get used to it again and it's no big deal.

If it was done well for it's system at the time then it should still hold up to an extent. Trash at the time is still trash now.

As for OOT, you can run it on an emulator with the Hi-Res patch and it looks a treat! even on the N64 the game is still OK.

The N64 suffers from graphics/textures looking a little muddy whereas the PS1 still looks sharp and pretty decent even now.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 04:11 AM   #144
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I truly feel ocarina of time will never be replicated because part of its appeal is to straddle the cute/kidesy/fantasy and adult/darker/mature line, partly because of the story, but mostly because of the system's graphic limitations. I mean, how adult can a polygon link really look? The problem with WW and TP for most people is that the former was too cartoony and kiddish and the latter is too dull or soulless or whatever, partly because of the idea to go with a more realistic approach. OoT had both because it was colorful and fun and light while still being dark and serious.
What I feel is this:

- Nintendo need to stop trying to replicate Ocarina of Time. When they did, it produced the more interesting/unique Zelda games, i.e. Majora's Mask and Wind Waker

- I feel that Ocarina of Time got the right balance (As you said), but I don't want Zelda to be saturated with pseudo-mature rubbish. The reason the series even exists is because Miyamoto wanted to recreate the sense of childhood wonder and adventure in a game. Twilight Princess was created as a result of fans (Fans really suck, don't they?) wanting a darker, more mature (Read: Generic fantasy) Zelda. Sucks how everything has to be like either Final Fantasy or Halo.

Twilight Princess had some great dungeons, but it was so stale and washed out and tried too hard to be Ocarina of Time. OOT was amazing, but is it really the peak of Zelda's potential?

Metroid Prime and Mario Galaxy happened when the game designers went with their own vision, instead of fans who want everything to be "Earlier entry in the series...BUT HIGH RES"
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 04:29 AM   #145
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

I agree with you Scribble. Funny how the argument is the complete reverse for Sega and, in partciular, Sonic though. They're trying new things and they're all failures. They need to listen to the fans and create a fantastic HD 2D [perspective] title, even if just for Live Arcade and PSN. They appear to be doing so... we'll see how it turns out.
Old 2009.12.09, 04:54 AM   #146
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Oh yeah Project Needlemouse!

I hope that the team behind that can actually design good 2D levels (A skill in itself), otherwise it'll turn out like one of the Game Gear Sonic games but with good graphics. The GBA/DS 2D Sonic games weren't bad though, and maybe the Needlemouse team can achieve that standard at least...

(I used to really like Sonic. I was a Sega kid growing up in the 90s. Sonic 3 & Knuckles <3)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.09, 01:57 PM   #147
kuro_neko

I agree with the argument where the more ambitious side quests in Zelda's franchise are more successful. I really loved Majora's Mask and I probably spend more time playing the portable entries than the main flagship console pieces. Twilight Princess didn't have that wonder in it, I agree. Wind Waker definitely had it. I think the problem with Twilight Princess was the story was overtly dark and you were left with a sense of urgency and foreboding atmosphere where it took the fun out of running around and hacking tall grass or chasing chickens...

so last night I got to play SH:SM some more and was able to beat the Nightmare I kept on dying on in the first try. The controls for flinging the Raw Shocks off you when they latch on are hard to learn, but once you get on the learning curve it makes it a lot easier to handle. I've had another therapy session and now I've noticed my Raw Shocks have breasts and Cybil has a ridiculous amount of make-up on, coupled with the most outrageous bust I've seen since Tomb Raider. She is blonde with red lips and massive cleavage, kind of ridiculous. I have no idea why I got sexy Cybil, but I'm pretty sure I think my psyche profile thinks I'm a total pervert or something...

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.12.09 at 02:05 PM.
Old 2009.12.10, 08:28 AM   #148
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I started SH:SM twice because I decided to change one of my answers on the first quiz to be more accurate. It was the question about others' feelings. Every other question was answered the same. When I answered true to the question I got the blonde stripper Cybil. Answer false (my new answer) got me the brunette conservative Cybil. I didn't think that particular question would have changed Cybil or even the naked cardboard cut-out in the diner, but it did. I thought the role-play sex question would have changed things like that.

I'm in the second nightmare and I'm have issues with the controls. Some of it's the game, but some of it is the shitty Wii sensor. The sensor keeps losing track of the Wiimote. I can't manage to throw objects.
Old 2009.12.10, 12:50 PM   #149
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

It seems like Bayonetta will be out next week on December 16th, and in gamestop shops even on monday. At least in Germany.

Heard anything about that in any other country?

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.12.10, 01:13 PM   #150
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I started SH:SM twice because I decided to change one of my answers on the first quiz to be more accurate. It was the question about others' feelings. Every other question was answered the same. When I answered true to the question I got the blonde stripper Cybil. Answer false (my new answer) got me the brunette conservative Cybil. I didn't think that particular question would have changed Cybil or even the naked cardboard cut-out in the diner, but it did. I thought the role-play sex question would have changed things like that.

I'm in the second nightmare and I'm have issues with the controls. Some of it's the game, but some of it is the shitty Wii sensor. The sensor keeps losing track of the Wiimote. I can't manage to throw objects.
I think the choices are more complicated than that, its based on the psych office sessions, but it is also based on what you look at/zoom in on/how long you look/how many times/how often you look etc and then as far as the first test goes it seems straight forward but I've read people comparing and trying to figure it out and the only thing that explains how it works is each question is weighted for multiple choices differently and so your distributed certain points and which over one wins out at the total would determine it. If you notice, while playing if you focus on certain objects long enough harry will comment. I think if you can get him to comment it logs that in your profile. It isn't just aesthetic, it is also personality and attitude. There are apparently three looks for cybil and three personalities, so you can get a total of 6 different combos.

Maou, just wait until the next section's Nightmare (the third time it happens). As if running around isn't enough, once you reach the end it tells you have to go to marked locations on your map and take photos to unlock the door, while dodging the enemies and not getting completely lost. I somehow managed to do it on my first try (if you run with your flashlight off it makes the enemies have a harder time spotting you in open spaces/from afar).

So far I like the element where the game has taken my character. I have bossy sexy Cybil and kind of a blonde slutty Dahlia and in the third chapter of the game (between the park and high school) my character was able to explore the Honey Pot which was a really awesome abandoned/rundown seedy sex dungeon. I think depending on your profile some areas open and some close.

Maou, I have a question for you when you beat the third Nightmare. Your supposed to run and take photo and then whenyou go back to the door you get voice mail/text message with photo attached. I went back once after the first photo and saw the message. Then I went back out and got the final two together without going back and when I returned only one of the ice sculptures broke and I got one voice mail/message/photo, but the exit was no open for me to leave (despite having to take all 3 photos...) so you should try to either exit after two and see if it lets you or let me know if you got an extra photo/message. I thought it was kind of bizarre and I enjoyed the photos (cuz I'm a perv)