Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.02.01, 12:54 PM   #11
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

if we're honest... Courtney Love noticing her must have been a dream come true for *pre debut* Shiina Ringo. It seems like she really idolized\romanticized western artists when she was a teenager- mentioning them in songs, using their lyrics in her own melodies.

*cough*it reminds me a little bit of myself that age*cough*

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
everytime I hear courtney I just want to listen to Professional Widow. For everyone who doesn't know, Tori Amos and Trent Reznor had a thing going on for a while and supposedly Love come and fucked that up and Tori had some very strong feelings and a lot of that was channeled into some music from her Boys for Pele. Reportedly Professional Widow, She is your Cocaine are both about Courtney and Trent respectedly. I also saw Courtney address Tori's Smells Like Teen Spirit cover on her blog about a year or two ago in which she says it was so funny to her and Trent, they thought it was such a sad joke, which made me feel kind of sad because reportedly the cover gaining so much critical response, citing Tori as channeling something into the song, making it hers, really affected Trent
that's funny because Professional Widow is my least favorite song on Pele and She's Your Cocaine is my least favorite song on Choirgirl. They're some of my least favorite Tori Amos songs ever. I could say Love manages to ruin songs simply by being the muse for them but I DO like Heart Shaped Box so...
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.01, 01:16 PM   #12
merman

merman is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
wasn't she talking about Gwen Stefani and her entourage of subservient Japanese girls? ("i feel its somewhat racist to have blonde Gaijin pop singer with all Asian backup dancers")
I forgot about that part but still, that's really the vibe I get from that piece you posted here, and I don't think I have the nerve to read all of that stream of consciousness she posted on her myspace. Though I think I've read a blog of her once and it reminded me more of a cesspool full of excrements than someone expressing their thoughts.
That "Japanese soul in me" part reminded me of how I've read Madonna said she's convinced she was a "Japanese warrioress" some time ago, which made me burst out in laughter instantly. To me this is no better than Stefani's harajuku girls or brainwashed otaku running around anime cons. Or maybe they're just trying to be interesting and that's why the thought of Love desperately wanting to have a comeback jumped into my mind.
But Japanese warrioress and a Japanese soul... oh my, gimme a break. JAPAN IZ SO KOOOOL OMG!!
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.02, 07:20 AM   #13
bebio

bebio is an asset to this community

my god, even Thom Yorke's criptic posts on dead air space make more sense than Courtney Love.

I liked Hole's music (pre-Celebrity Skin-wise), but her priorities in life changed. Now she's milking Nirvana's catalogue until the end of days.

Courtney Love, Madonna, Robyn -- all of them use the themes of Japan in a way that I find most questionable. It's a way of looking cool, artistic, but they never really understand what they are using. They just pick random generalised clichés from Japanese culture and make money out of it.

This is an insult to real down to earth western musicians that actually collaborate with Japanese musicians on a equal, honest footing.

I would love to write some music in colaboration with Japanese people and do some cultural crossovers, but treating it with respect and promoting a sincere mutual exchange of ideas. This high-profile celebrity thing is just crap to my ears.

I think courtney just saw some random video of shiina on youtube and that was it.
Old 2009.02.02, 11:51 AM   #14
merman

merman is an asset to this community

bebio you nailed it. Exactly what I'm saying... a way of looking cool.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.02, 12:24 PM   #15
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by a_grumble_cake View Post
if we're honest... Courtney Love noticing her must have been a dream come true for *pre debut* Shiina Ringo. It seems like she really idolized\romanticized western artists when she was a teenager- mentioning them in songs, using their lyrics in her own melodies.

*cough*it reminds me a little bit of myself that age*cough*

that's funny because Professional Widow is my least favorite song on Pele and She's Your Cocaine is my least favorite song on Choirgirl. They're some of my least favorite Tori Amos songs ever. I could say Love manages to ruin songs simply by being the muse for them but I DO like Heart Shaped Box so...
really? Professional Widow is classic Tori, that song is astonishing live, nothing like humping her Bosendorfer and giving the finger to the heavens.

she's your cocaine is a fun song, but more than anything that song would be about trent "you sign prince of darkness, try squire of dimness" I think it has more to do with him and his relationship with tori and how it changed due to some girl in his life (probably courtney)

allegedly, trent and tori were a couple and then courtney came along and took trent away for like a week or so and by the time trent came back tori was already gone.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.02, 12:33 PM   #16
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Tori is too good for Trent. Everything after the Downward Spiral has been weak.
Old 2009.02.04, 10:11 AM   #17
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

Courtney is a friggin leech.

She latches onto talented people to boost her own career. Go ask Billy Corgan and dead Kurt.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.04, 06:22 PM   #18
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

First of all, if it's in a Wikipedia page and no one's put a little question mark next to it or taken it off, it's probably not a "rumor." They even state it came from MTV Japan which also doesn't make it sound like a rumor but rather something that did happen.

Originally Posted by merman View Post
Doesn't it sound like Love is just trying to be hip and cool and suck up to Japan? I mean her manga crossover must've been really hilarious, although I've never had the opportunity to read that.
Princess Ai is actually not that bad of a manga, but all Courtney really did was approach Stu (TOKYOPOP CEO) with the idea, do that thing where she presented a traditional Japanese tea ceremony to Ai Yazawa to get her on board for character designs, and then she entered a very fucked-up period of her life, like, even worse than she had been before and is now (which I think is a somewhat improvement) and basically left TOKYOPOP to complete the project on their own. She wouldn't return calls, etc, basically totally dropped the ball on it. I can't remember if this is recognized public information or stuff I heard while working for TP.

So she's really only responsible for the idea; the execution mostly has nothing to do with her. And the story really isn't that terrible, and the one who's trying to milk it for all it's worth now is Stu, who wants to make it an anime and a movie later etc etc. When I worked at the TOKYOPOP Tokyo office like half of my duties had to do with Princess Ai and raising consciousness of it in Japan. 9_9

But based on how she flitted off and lost interest in Princess Ai shortly after launching the project, I have a feeling she'd do the same with Ringo, and I think Ringo deserves better and won't take any of that crap. If Ringo's label is approached with the offer, I'm sure they'd do some digging and find out what happened with Princess Ai and think twice about letting her do anything Ringo-related. So I doubt this will happen--thank God.

Courtney Love at least has more Japan street cred than Gwen Stefani (btw, that was a total burn there, haha, and a well-deserved one) because she worked there in hostess clubs (maybe stripping? can't remember) for a couple years or something in her youth. But she still comes off terribly weeaboo about it anyway.
frecklegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.05, 10:48 AM   #19
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

If this collaboration ever happened, people would start looking back on the TOKIO "Killer Tune" song fondly.
Old 2009.02.07, 04:55 PM   #20
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

I used to subscribe to Tokyopop way back to issue 1 when it was still called Mixxzine.
ShadyNook is offline   Reply With Quote