Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2009.04.11, 05:07 AM   #11
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

How is this even a question? Ringo Expo is sophisticated and boring. Zazen XTC is hot, rock and roll, crazy and oh, the music is really really really good too. You *have* to see Yokushitsu.

Thread closed! Zazen it is!
Old 2009.04.11, 07:59 AM   #12
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Ringo Expo's Yokushitsu is better. Zazen Yokushitsu's only good because of the beginning and Shiina Ringo hopping around.

I agree with kuro neko on the 'Zazen = obscure and B-Sides' comment. That's why I guess Zazen appeals to me the most right now out of all of SR's work. I also recently read the Product Thread for Zazen, and I am really shocked how people can prefer the Zazen version of Identity to the Shouso Strip one. It lacks the 'punch' of the album recording.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.11, 08:05 AM   #13
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

I'd take Ringo Expo over Zazen. It's sophisticated, but with a rock edge. It has the best rendition of several of her earlier songs (Gibs, Honnou, Yokushitsu, Koufukuron) along with great renditions of songs from the rest of her career. Zazen? Not so much. It's got two really great songs, the first and the last, with a bunch of poor/OK renditions of her songs between. Akane Sasu... is particularly bad.

Basically if you want "sophisticated" music that actually captures the musical spirit of the original recordings, get Expo. If you want something "fun" with stripped down music that fails to live up to the studio, get Zazen. Or get the both of best worlds with Electric Mole.

JR: Expo Yokushitsu > Zazen Yokushitsu. That acoustic guitar is balls.
Old 2009.04.11, 08:09 AM   #14
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Ringo Expo's Yokushitsu is better. Zazen Yokushitsu's only good because of the beginning and Shiina Ringo hopping around.
Lies.

If AND ONLY IF you have Dynamite Out and Electric Mole already, buy Zazen (or Gekokojyo might be even better if you're a new fan and havent seen it.) If you dont have DO or EM, you should secure one of them first.

The only reason I'd shy away from Expo before Zazen is that while with Expo you're likely to get more of the songs you're looking for, they might not be represented the way you'd want them. ...And somehow, Zazen does a better job of showing off "Shiina Ringo" and what she does than Expo does.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2009.04.11 at 08:26 AM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.11, 08:34 AM   #15
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Cut the crap guys.
Baishou Xtsasy ftw.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.11, 09:46 AM   #16
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

bucklemyshoe, you can watch the two performances below judge for yourself.
Expo Yokushitsu

Zazen Yokushitsu

My heart is still with Zazen, because in Expo I'm sad that Ringo didn't throw the knife at Saito Neko.
Old 2009.04.11, 09:59 AM   #17
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
The only reason I'd shy away from Expo before Zazen is that while with Expo you're likely to get more of the songs you're looking for, they might not be represented the way you'd want them.
I mean because almost straight studio versions of Hatsukoi Shoujo, Mayonaka Sid, Gibs, Yame ni Furu Ame, Koko de, Honnou, Gamble, Koufukuron, Yokushitsu, Suberidai, Tadashii Machi, and others are so out of left field. Granted Tsumi to Batsu, Blackout, and Omatsuri Sawagi aren't up to everybody's tastes, but what makes you think the rearrangements on Zazen are? Why pick on one, but not the other for bad representation? I know Akane Sasu isn't popular, but I love it. I can't stand the high-gain guitar in the Zazen version just like you can't stand the minor appearance of the orchestra in the Expo Tsumiki Asobi.

For what it's worth, I give Zazen a 7.5/10 while giving Ringo Expo an 8/10. You really should get Dynamite Out or Electric Mole if you don't have them. They're the only truely great Shiina Jihen experiences on DVD.
Old 2009.04.11, 10:24 AM   #18
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
My heart is still with Zazen, because in Expo I'm sad that Ringo didn't throw the knife at Saito Neko.
I lol'd.

What about Just Can't Help It? I think that's a good first DVD.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.11, 10:43 AM   #19
bucklemyshoe

bucklemyshoe pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
when I get into an artist I focus on buying the most recent release, and then starting from the source and working my way up to the current release. I'd buy Ringo Expo because its pretty much a mixture of her entire career. Zazen was mostly b-sides and kind of obscure music, so for the fan just getting into the music a lot of it might be stuff you aren't really into yet.
I'm not just getting into the music but rather just getting into seeing it live. (this goes for all j-artists not just shiina. I never knew how much different and better their live shows are compared to what is the standard domestically)

I have her Dai Ikkai Ringohan Taikai no Moyo DVD and internet rips of Dynamite Out and Meet The World Beat.
Jihad, I absolutely love rearangements!

EDIT: justriiingo, oh man. I love both of those performances. I just wish I had more money because it's clear I need to obtain both.

Last edited by bucklemyshoe : 2009.04.11 at 11:00 AM.
bucklemyshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.11, 12:39 PM   #20
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Ringo Expo for me. Zazen's Yokushitsu and Tsumiki Asobi are better but I preferred the Expo's versions of everything else. Expo also has the better setlist and delivers overall better performances too.