Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.04.12, 07:08 PM   #1281
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
^ That logo is AWFUL Silent Hill does not exist after part 2 for me. Another let down game is "Mad World" on Wii, I expected a lot from this stylish game but oh no! it's just repetitive.
Go read the eyes-on Shattered Memories on ign.com the reviewer has a lot of really great things to say. personally, I wasn't amazed at the logo's design either, but if you read the article it makes sense. At this stage in the game, it is also most likely temporary. I mean, if people are going to already give up because of a lack of fog or staples of the series, what else can you really say to convince them it won't suck? I haven't played 5 (which I heard was iffy), but the thing that set 4 apart was how different it was (based on the fact that it started out as its own seperate game), and I think going back to the roots and reimaging the game rather than creating a straight port is a lot more exciting. if you read the article and what it has to say about the gameplay, it sounds really cool. The only thing I'm a little bit iffy about is the idea to turn the Other World from a hellish rusty red nightmare into a frozen icey demonworld. but overall it sounds good.

and can I just say Nintendo of America FUCKING SUCKS. they are now officially stating that they will not release Fatal Frame IV. They own the publishing rights, so since they are passing on it in the States, no one else can legally publish it. It was supposed to be really good. And it has a cult fanbase so the fans and game reviewers have consistently petitioned the company and let them know there is interest.and they parade around and claim they listen to what the fans want. maybe if they promoted it a bit it would actually sell. but no, they are spended thousands on another piece of shit kiddy game that no one cares about. fuck them, seriously.

edit: and read the interview with the developers, holy crap now I'm all excited for this game. I love the idea that this game is built ground up around the idea that you are in a nightmare and you have to escape, so the character will have no weapons at his disposal. its built around your need to escape, as the enemies try to hurd and cut you off. that is really returning to the roots of survival horror, where as it seems resident evil has gone in the complete other direction, this seems to really go back to what it is all about. so yeah, good stuff. and for everyone out there who is hating on the new icy look over the hellish otherworld, SH2 didn't have the blood red rusty otherworld really, it was almost entirely purgatory with only one particular part I can think of when the world changed.

Last edited by kuro_neko : 2009.04.12 at 07:29 PM.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.13, 01:55 AM   #1282
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
SH2 didn't have the blood red rusty otherworld really, it was almost entirely purgatory with only one particular part I can think of when the world changed.
It had as many rusty otherworld moments as other Silent Hill games. The Hospital, the Museum, the Prison, the Hotel, even the streets, etc.

And I agree with your Nintendo rant. They seriously fuck up everything, releasing shitty kiddy games instead of the great things that come up in Japan, even tho there's like millions of petitions. It has happened a lot in the past and they just don't change, even tho it's not that good for them and may make them lose the market (almost happened with N64 and GC...).

EDIT: What's up with both Harry and Cybill having glasses? Is it the new cool?

Last edited by ShinjiPG : 2009.04.13 at 02:09 AM.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.13, 03:56 AM   #1283
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by bucklemyshoe View Post
I personally feel (in the USA) this generation of gaming has been a total failure. If you're not into sandbox games or FPS then there really isn't much offered.
It depends what you're into. Personally, I am quite happy to have had Gears of War (1 and 2), Mass Effect, BioShock, Fable 2, Little Big Planet, Dead Space, Rock Band 1 and 2, Left 4 Dead, Mario Galaxy, Portal, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Braid, Burnout Paradise, Uncharted, Viva Piñata, Flower, Pure, Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4. And that's not including FPS's (well, traditional ones; I included games that are in the first person perspective but aren't really traditional shooters or are worthy of that extra attention) in which case you can add Halo 3, Killzone 2, Call of Duty 4 and a few others to that list. Or sandbox games in which case you can add GTAIV, Far Cry 2 and Crackdown. Plus the games I haven't played like Forza, Street Fighter IV, Lost Odyssey Gran Turismo, Wipeout HD etc. and the titles I've forgotten. Plus out of that initial list of 20 games, 16 are brand new IP's unique to this generation and not sequels. 1 of those sequels, Fallout 3 has been reinvented too so it's pretty much new also.

You don't have to like all of those games, but they're pretty much all great and surely proof that the generation thus far (not even half way through it's life) has not been a total failure (which I wouldn't state at such an early point in it's life anyway; the future line-up looks pretty damn promising to me). Is it stronger than past generations? Maybe not. I can't remember what games I owned 3 years after I bought my PS2. It's certainly provided me with plenty of entertainment and a few of my favourite games of all time.
Old 2009.04.13, 10:13 AM   #1284
bucklemyshoe

bucklemyshoe pleased at least somebody

See out of all those games, Gears & SF4 are the only ones I really enjoy. COD is okay and I've yet to play Valkyria Chronicles (which I hear is good) but the rest of that list falls under boring crap in my opinion. (I'm not just making assumptions, I've tried the majority of that stuff out because that's what my friends play)

Not sure what Flower & Pure are though?
bucklemyshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.13, 10:20 AM   #1285
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I currently live in the PS2 relam, the current stuffs OK but I prefer the previous generations games at the moment, PS2, PS1, DC, and such.
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.13, 10:29 AM   #1286
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
It depends what you're into. Personally, I am quite happy to have had Gears of War (1 and 2), Mass Effect, BioShock, Fable 2, Little Big Planet, Dead Space, Rock Band 1 and 2, Left 4 Dead, Mario Galaxy, Portal, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Braid, Burnout Paradise, Uncharted, Viva Piñata, Flower, Pure, Valkyria Chronicles, MGS4. And that's not including FPS's (well, traditional ones; I included games that are in the first person perspective but aren't really traditional shooters or are worthy of that extra attention) in which case you can add Halo 3, Killzone 2, Call of Duty 4 and a few others to that list. Or sandbox games in which case you can add GTAIV, Far Cry 2 and Crackdown. Plus the games I haven't played like Forza, Street Fighter IV, Lost Odyssey Gran Turismo, Wipeout HD etc. and the titles I've forgotten. Plus out of that initial list of 20 games, 16 are brand new IP's unique to this generation and not sequels. 1 of those sequels, Fallout 3 has been reinvented too so it's pretty much new also.

You don't have to like all of those games, but they're pretty much all great and surely proof that the generation thus far (not even half way through it's life) has not been a total failure (which I wouldn't state at such an early point in it's life anyway; the future line-up looks pretty damn promising to me). Is it stronger than past generations? Maybe not. I can't remember what games I owned 3 years after I bought my PS2. It's certainly provided me with plenty of entertainment and a few of my favourite games of all time.
For me these games are just above average, if not deeply below.

Except for Rock Band being one of the greates things in video game history.
For me there is only one game in the new millenium worth mentioning, and that is Okami.
The rest is the result of a very big shift in everything regarding gaming.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.13, 12:28 PM   #1287
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Apart from the Nightmare Hospital Level, SH2 was deliberately a more, rundown, cold, and water damaged town. more time was spent in purgatory. this was because the main motif of the game related to water and to sins, tears, guilt, etc. And the areas that did appear weren't the bloody, rusty, hellish surroundings of the first game. The Otherworld appears in almost all the games, but in SH2 it wasn't really as apparent, it was mainly just a really really rundown drenched world. The ONLY time it appears in SH is when Laura locks James in the hospital and everything changes.

anyways. Nintendo pisses me off recently. There have been some awesome stuff floating around for Wii that no one will back. Like Winter, which was another winter-themed survival horror title that was started because the developers wanted to take the genre back to its roots after games like RE4. But it was eventually cancelled since there was lack of publisher interest.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.13, 08:20 PM   #1288
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Why hasn't Disaster: Day of Crisis come out in North America? Also, still waiting for Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

I'm banking on The Conduit to garner more FPS support for the Wii, as I have always had zero ability to use a conventional controller to shoot, let alone do complex tricks that some shooters are capable of. There isn't really that much available, although a few of the non-arcade games (Metroid, Call of Duty) have been fairly good.

Last edited by Positron : 2009.04.13 at 08:24 PM.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.14, 04:01 AM   #1289
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by bucklemyshoe View Post
Not sure what Flower & Pure are though?
Pure is an insanely OTT quad biking game. Think SSX on quad bikes. Flower is a PSN title whereby you control a petal around a field, picking up more petals and bursting life into flowers and spreading colour all controlled via SixAxis. It sounds a bit pointless, but it's probably the most beautiful and relaxing game I've ever played. Check it out.
Old 2009.04.14, 10:42 AM   #1290
bucklemyshoe

bucklemyshoe pleased at least somebody

lol doesn't sound pointless. sounds like a lot of fun.
bucklemyshoe is offline   Reply With Quote