Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2010.10.20, 12:07 PM   #1
last_blue

last_blue pleased at least somebody
Default Listening to Shiina Ringo in "altered states"

...is incredible.

Thoughts?
last_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.20, 07:02 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Few things I wanted to add:

1.) It depends which phase(s) of her career you're talking about. The material that sober people rave the most about can sometimes end up being the material you are the least satisfied with while you're in an altered state. When I'm in an "altered state", Shiina Ringo's first two albums and some of her demos actually click with me a lot more than KSK. I'm also disappointed to say that being in an altered state doesn't make Dynamite Out any better for me, or at least not lately.

2.) Good masters (such as MoRA 96kHz/24bit) playing on good equipment (such as near-field studio monitors) can give you a lot more texture and nuances to explore - possibly more than you'll know what to do with.

3.) Being half-awake or sleep-deprived in a totally clean way, can sometimes make almost as much difference with listening to Shiina Ringo, as any mind-altering substance.

4.) B-Sides are usually groovy - especially if you haven't been overplaying them while you've been sober.

5.) I'm already nitpicky enough about the production values in some of Shiina Ringo's music videos while I'm sober, but it's much worse when I'm not. It's much more satisfying to just listen to the songs, especially in a dark or dimly-lit room. The visuals of concerts can also be distracting, and they are usually best-played as audio-only.

6.) Being in an "altered state" actually makes me gravitate more toward some of Shiina Ringo's associates (especially Asai Kenichi), rather than toward Shiina Ringo herself - even though Shiina Ringo is the primary artist I identify with as a Japanese music interest. She is unfortunately at the center of a circle of associated artists I tend to like more than her when I'm not sober. The one 'consistent' factor among all these other artists is that they've been involved with Shiina Ringo at one time or another - they each have their own very different ways of gettin' groovy.
Old 2010.10.21, 03:15 PM   #3
last_blue

last_blue pleased at least somebody

Yeah, when I drink I tend to enjoy MM and SS more. Nothing beats drunkenly belting out the lyrics to Marunouchi Sadistic . And I totally agree with your comment about bsides- they're so refreshing to hear especially if you've been in "album mode" for a while.

I've smoked and listened to KSK a few times (in FLAC) and it is incredibly difficult for me to get through the entire thing. It sounds amazing, but it's so intense it sends me into a panic attack. In particular, Shuukyou, Doppelganger, Stem, Poltergeist, and Souretsu completely overwhelm me and I have to pause the track for a while so my heart rate will slow down. Nothing else has come close to giving me that kind of reaction, even her other works.. it's strange. Worth it though.

Last edited by last_blue : 2010.10.21 at 03:21 PM.
last_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.22, 07:07 AM   #4
SoulExperience

SoulExperience is an asset to this community

Don't need subtances to alter my state of well being with her music. She's just that damn good.
SoulExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.22, 10:18 AM   #5
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Deja Vu anyone?? I remember pretty well who opened up a topic like this quite a while before... coincidental?
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.22, 11:05 AM   #6
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

^
There might have been some side-topic commentary about non-sober listening within a small handful of other threads, but I don't recall any topic being specifically about non-sober listening from the very start.
Old 2010.10.22, 11:30 AM   #7
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

I posted a thread a year back wondering how drugs could enhance SR's creative output (Not about listening to SR while high, etc.)
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.23, 06:59 AM   #8
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Glathannus View Post
^
There might have been some side-topic commentary about non-sober listening within a small handful of other threads, but I don't recall any topic being specifically about non-sober listening from the very start.

Some former, permanently banned member opened a topic here (using a fake account) about how awesome taking cocaine and listening to KSK were.

I personally don't find a "reccomend your favourite drug-SR/TJ-song"-topic fitting for this forum. I can enjoy good music without being on crack or something... and people who can't just make me sad.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.10.23, 02:58 PM   #9
Glathannus
True Final Boss

^ Somebody must've deleted that, because I'm having trouble finding it.

I don't think people need drugs in order to become Shiina Ringo fans, but as you already know most of our tastes are quite different. Someone else might actually need drugs (possibly legally-prescribed pharmaceutical ones) to enjoy any of the same songs or activities you already enjoy while you're sober. I'd rather hear people talking about how drugs gave them special appreciation for certain songs, instead of only talking about how much those songs 'suck'.

I would've mentioned alcohol too, except no amount of it ever makes me clumsy or moody - so I can't say it's had any impact on the way I feel about Shiina Ringo's music. Being half-awake without mind-altering substances, has had more impact on the way I've felt about certain songs - than alcohol ever has.

But if an admin has a problem with this topic, nobody is going to overrule their decision to close it.
Old 2010.10.23, 08:11 PM   #10
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

I kind of agree with the half-awake experience thing.

I'm a light sleeper and sometimes if I hear a sound while sleeping, it gets involved in some way with the dream and takes part of it, even when it comes to an abstract thing.
There were a few times that I fell lightly asleep while I was listening to music, and I can say I was into it in a completely different way, as if I were able to reach a whole new level of understanding of what the artist tried to express, and I'm not talking exclusively about Shiina Ringo but music in general.

Well, this might sound a bit abstract, but that's what this altered state is about nearly by definition.

Last edited by Carlx : 2010.10.23 at 08:18 PM.
Carlx is offline   Reply With Quote