Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2011.10.05, 12:32 AM   #221
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
Good point. Maybe Ringo is playing safe?
I think that's been the prevailing opinion here for the last 6 years or so.
Old 2011.10.05, 01:22 AM   #222
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by W3iHong View Post
Good point. Maybe Ringo is playing safe?
I'd call it providing an appropriate theme song that fits with the rest of the show. Trent Reznor didn't write a theme for "The Social Network" that sounds like Nine Inch Nails.

Keep in mind NHK went to Ringo and offered this to her. I presume the NHK Asadore series is something that's sort of an institution in Japan and some of the previous series are ones that Ringo has been a fan of.

It's not a career decision that she just wants to write "old people music" from now on, just her doing a project that she's always wanted to do. Maybe that leads to a whole album or maybe it ends with this single.

Of course, I like jazz and orchestral/Broadway stuff in addition to 90s alt-rock and more progressive stuff, so it doesn't bother me which genre Shiina Ringo decides to dabble in at any time. I can understand why some people just want her to write Kalk Samen Kuri no Hana II, but the lack of that album doesn't disappoint me.
Old 2011.10.05, 02:05 AM   #223
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Ringo's produced enough good songs in a range of styles, so it's not as if she has to 'dumb herself down' to write a good song for a TV drama. It's not as if Ringo's songs only succeed on a complex/experimental level either. This song isn't bad, but is sloppier than anything on even SG. It's not even about MM2/SS2/KZK2 anymore. (edit: I guess some of the slop may be down to the TV edit, but I dunno if the full version will be that different)

I mean, forget about the idea of talent and Ringo 'losing it'. Surely, she is experienced enough, and has enough technical know-how to at least create something that resembles her older tracks? I doubt that the appeal of all of her older songs can be chalked up to raw, youthful passion. Between this, Handsome Sugite and Chiaki Kuriyama's new song -- Blackout ver.25327 -- it seems that she isn't trying hard enough. Nearly makes SG look like classic Ringo in comparison.

P.S. the new Chiaki Kuriyama makes it seem like SR's trolling either us or the pop acts that keep asking her for music

Last edited by Scribble R : 2011.10.05 at 02:10 AM.
Old 2011.10.05, 02:46 AM   #224
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
Ringo's produced enough good songs in a range of styles, so it's not as if she has to 'dumb herself down' to write a good song for a TV drama. It's not as if Ringo's songs only succeed on a complex/experimental level either. This song isn't bad, but is sloppier than anything on even SG. It's not even about MM2/SS2/KZK2 anymore. (edit: I guess some of the slop may be down to the TV edit, but I dunno if the full version will be that different)

I mean, forget about the idea of talent and Ringo 'losing it'. Surely, she is experienced enough, and has enough technical know-how to at least create something that resembles her older tracks? I doubt that the appeal of all of her older songs can be chalked up to raw, youthful passion. Between this, Handsome Sugite and Chiaki Kuriyama's new song -- Blackout ver.25327 -- it seems that she isn't trying hard enough. Nearly makes SG look like classic Ringo in comparison.

P.S. the new Chiaki Kuriyama makes it seem like SR's trolling either us or the pop acts that keep asking her for music
That. Yes. Carnation doesn't seem to have Ringo's creativity unleashed.
Old 2011.10.05, 06:54 AM   #225
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I'm guessing this song will probably be around 5 mins. So yeah.

Also, Shiina Ringo is like the honey badger:

I also aim to be as awesome as the honey badger from now on.
Old 2011.10.05, 10:48 AM   #226
Carlx

Carlx raises the standards of what a community can offer

^ Best animal eva.

I don't know, I like it a lot when I listen to something original, but I'm honestly more interested in being moved by the music rather than being amazed/surprised. She has gotten the ability to achieve both, which is one of the reasons why she's that unique to me.

This particular portion of song, whatever the context it was created in may be, has the power just to make my skin stand on end, and that's enough for me.
Old 2011.10.05, 05:43 PM   #227
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I think it's beautiful. On one hand, I do find that the vocals seem a bit detached at times, yet just the right amount of emotion at others. On the other hand, the arrangement is beautiful, and the song seems well written.

I like it. It even seems walt-y to me.

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2011.10.06 at 02:47 PM.
Old 2011.10.06, 12:12 AM   #228
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

The song is perfect for setting the holiday mood. pass the gallon of nog over!

Guitar Carnation
Old 2011.10.06, 01:14 AM   #229
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Hey, that's not bad. Looking forward to the live version now.
Old 2011.10.06, 07:16 PM   #230
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by ShadyNook View Post
The song is perfect for setting the holiday mood. pass the gallon of nog over!

Guitar Carnation
That is awesome. It sounds a bit similar to plucking parts of Tristram
Closed Thread