Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2012.07.21, 04:20 PM   #11
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts

I think there are several reasons why this wouldn't happen, in addition to Ringo's personal motives. If Utada couldn't do it with any of her three English albums, I highly doubt Ringo could - Utada, as intelligent as her work often is, is much more accessible and arguably more "western" in mentality than SR's. Besides, I think she'd probably not do it for purely pragmatic reasons (I can't think of one superstar Asian in the music industry).
Old 2012.07.21, 08:49 PM   #12
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
I can't think of one superstar Asian in the music industry
Me either, and that's really depressing. Even expanding it outside of soloists there are a variety of acts popular in their respective areas but none that cross borders unconditionally unless you want to really stretch it and count Far East Movement or the Filipinos in Journey and Black Eyed Peas =/

Hikki couldn't do it, BoA couldn't do it, I doubt 2NE1 will be able to later this year either even with will.i.am's help.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.22, 05:59 AM   #13
thefro

thefro raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
I think there are several reasons why this wouldn't happen, in addition to Ringo's personal motives. If Utada couldn't do it with any of her three English albums, I highly doubt Ringo could - Utada, as intelligent as her work often is, is much more accessible and arguably more "western" in mentality than SR's. Besides, I think she'd probably not do it for purely pragmatic reasons (I can't think of one superstar Asian in the music industry).
Utada's problem is she tried to make polished Westernized R&B pop records (that quite frankly sound like something out of the early 90s with maybe some Bjork techno over it) and that's not gonna fly.

Rock Ringo or Artsy Ringo would have chance because she would sound different, but familiar. She would have to aim for those genres instead of trying to be a pop idol in the West.
thefro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.22, 06:43 AM   #14
ParisJihen

ParisJihen has had more than 15 seconds of fame

What ? She was in France and nobody told me ?! ...where did you get that info Scribble ?
ParisJihen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.22, 02:53 PM   #15
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by thefro View Post
Utada's problem is she tried to make polished Westernized R&B pop records (that quite frankly sound like something out of the early 90s with maybe some Bjork techno over it) and that's not gonna fly.

Rock Ringo or Artsy Ringo would have chance because she would sound different, but familiar. She would have to aim for those genres instead of trying to be a pop idol in the West.
Ooooooooooor..... She could team up with Boris. And make that release on Southern Lord with alternative version on LP for all the hipsters. This would work, for sure.
Old 2012.07.23, 06:10 AM   #16
matan-san

matan-san has had more than 15 seconds of fame

in the end Ringo will surprise us and make an entire album in french as her breakout album to the west
matan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.23, 08:44 AM   #17
MBF

MBF has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by thefro View Post
The obvious first baby step would be to gradually release her albums digitally on ITunes/Amazon in Europe & the US

Dunno about the US, but pretty much the entire discography of TJ & SR are available via iTunes in Europe (feat. the equivalent english song- and album-titles). There's even a fair share of Music Videos and excerpts from Live-DVDs.

I see absolutely no chance for Ringo even trying to break into the Western market(s). Let alone the language barrier and the fact, that the majority of Westerners aren't likely to dig her singing voice, she probably wouldn't even want that kind of career abroad for the sake of her son.

My guess is, she'll continue to try to establish herself as a producer and songwriter for other artists in Japan and maybe release a little solo work now and then.
MBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.23, 10:05 AM   #18
ParisJihen

Originally Posted by matan-san View Post
in the end Ringo will surprise us and make an entire album in french as her breakout album to the west
You're right ! With me. :-) Well ok, it's more a dream than a scoop...
But seriously, I believe she would be interested in such a project (so many french words in TJ recent releases...) but not with the idea of trying something in Europe. Just for her own pleasure and the sophisticated image it would represent. Or just as a new challenge.
Old 2012.07.23, 10:08 AM   #19
ParisJihen

Originally Posted by MBF View Post
My guess is, she'll continue to try to establish herself as a producer and songwriter for other artists in Japan and maybe release a little solo work now and then.
Totally agree with this. But let's hope she has that irresistible taste for french stuff... (fashion, food, arts, musicians, guitarists...
Old 2012.07.23, 12:28 PM   #20
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I still say Shiina had her best shot at the west with pre-JCHI Jihen. I don't remember if it was around Adult or Variety, in some interview they asked her if she was interested in touring overseas or in the west and her reply was that she only ever wanted to focus on Japan or something like that. (Someone back me up, I know I didn't make this up.) Yeah, given the musical climate of the day they weren't going to take the west by storm (America anyway,) but they could have grabbed hold in a niche. Shiina's music up until then was always so western focused, I have a hard time believing she wasn't flirting with the idea, especially at her zenith. I always thought she backed down, lost her nerve, when she said she wanted to stay domestic. But as time goes on, I feel more and more of the decisions made post-KZK were made of lost nerves.