Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.03.26, 03:54 PM   #91
jigenbakuda

jigenbakuda is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by frecklegirl View Post
Whoa whoa, hold the phone...

SERIOUSLY!??! TAKE THE DAY OFF WORK FOR UTADA'S NEW RELEASE??? XDDDDDDDDDD
I'm a substitute teacher, I choose the days in which I wish to work and those I don't. Said day was one a meant for a wallowin! I was in Japan last year for her Heart Station release, kicked my GF out of bed to drive me to the store, lol. If you recall around that time I was searching for maaya stuff to buy as well (came back empty handed... ).

Anyways I'd do it for shiina too, but she doesn't release in america (gawd that sounded dirty...), but Hikki will, so I'll take the day off seeing as I'm not driving all the way tom miami to met her in person.

I thought the come back to me live was okay. I consider it the weakest song on the album, although her "mess up" can be considered improvising... Still utada's lives (and her voice) have been getting weaker since the divorce...

I don't care if hikki fails or not, I still like her, you can make music for only me hikki-chan and bring your friend ringo-chan whoever the hell that is...

If one lays a trap, isn't it the victims fault for falling in?
jigenbakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.01, 01:06 AM   #92
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by MTV
Exodus shows a wide range of influences in its fusion of fast-tempo, glossy pop beats and Asian pop, which Utada says comes from listening to Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Nine Inch Nails, Dr. Dre, Elvis Presley and Prince, among others. Her voice, with its frequently alternating highs and lows, combines Madonna's deeper tones with the consciously drawn-out notes of Tori Amos, peppered with the sugary, playful intonations of Björk.
Full article here.
This reminded me of kuro_neko. I can already see his blood boiling.
Oh, and there's a new blood boiling news article on MTV, regarding TITO, btw.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.01, 02:18 AM   #93
merman

merman is an asset to this community

I'm a Tori fan as well and my blood isn't boiling - I got used to the fact that every singer you can't place in a box gets compared to all sorts of others, no matter how completely different they are. I mean if you take Tori Amos alone, she's being compared to Kate Bush since her debut and that's just because they're both "sorta quirky" for most people's tastes and make music that's unique and not really comparable to anything. Any female artist that dresses extravagantly means instant comparisons with Bjork and so on. I'm sure you've noticed it.
Same with Utada, there's nobody out there that sounds quite like her nowadays - particularly with what she produces herself because she hired other producers for TITO to get "their sound". Comparing somebody to Madonna and THEN to Tori Amos and Bjork is just pulling names desperately out of hat... and they've called her Japanese Britney ever since Exodus, which is even more weird in that album's case XD
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.01, 02:32 AM   #94
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG View Post
This reminded me of kuro_neko. I can already see his blood boiling.
Oh, and there's a new blood boiling news article on MTV, regarding TITO, btw.
well if they are comparing her voice to Tori's I don't have any problem. As long as they aren't claiming she could best Tori on the keys, then I would probably just laugh at the person who wrote the article. I mean, seriously, Britney Spears? That is the worst comparison. Utada has never sold her image around sex and actually writes her own music. There isn't anyone quite like her in the music world that warrants STOP THE PRESS attention at name dropping, but if I had to compare her to anyone I would compare her to Nelly Furtado, in that they both create genre-bending art pop that is both critically applauded and commericially successful to a ridiculous degree. But no one is going to go apeshit over Nelly Furtado's name, so out comes the Britney comparisons. I agree with Merman about the whole thing. The person is just so desperate they grab any name they can think of. Even Shakira is a better comparison...oh wait, she was a cross over too (except she did it right the first time, O.o)

seriously, what do you get when you mix Bjork, Tori, Madonna, and Britney? A hot mess. Seriously, it would be a musical genius who was so hot and so scandalous the world would just implode. It would be a nightmare. Fortunately that is not Utada.

but then again I would love to see her cover Professional Widow. I can just hear her singing "starfucker, just like my daddy..." "give me peace, love, and a hard cock" XDXD
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.01, 02:53 AM   #95
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Oh...kay.
Old 2009.04.01, 06:25 AM   #96
a_grumble_cake

a_grumble_cake deserves a fucking medal

"Watch out Britney — Utada's coming for your crown."

GROAAAAAAAANNNNNNNnnn

and I don't hear Madonna, Tori OR Bjork in her voice. It's like they're not even trying
a_grumble_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.01, 08:24 AM   #97
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

Another one.
"It’s kinda like a poppier Portishead meets Beyonce."

Portishead, really? Ahah.
Old 2009.04.01, 01:45 PM   #98
merman

merman is an asset to this community

OK Portishead was probably the MOST random comparison ever. And they're not even what MTV plays nowadays, not like when they debuted and caused a trip-hop craze...
She should mention somewhere that she likes Cocteau Twins or Nine Inch Nails just for the kicks. I could actually see instant comparisons with Elizabeth Fraser because as far as I know her name used to be dropped pretty often as well (like Tori Amos, Bjork and Kate Bush), but nowadays nobody probably really knows who she is (although like everybody knows Massive Attack's Teardrop).
So she could be a bit like Portishead with Britney on vocals, with hints of Liz Fraser, Tori Amos and Bjork with Trent Reznor thrown in for a good measure. I think that pretty much sums her up.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.01, 01:52 PM   #99
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the problem will all these comparisons is that they can't capture her strengths. utada's clearest weak point is her lyrics, she has said herself that she doesn't like writing lyrics and usually leaves it until the last minute (the most famous case would be Traveling, where she wrote them on the way to the studio to record), and it comes across. so comparing her to all these adept vocalists and lyricists is kind of a joke. I think they are comparing the tone of her voice. I guess the way she sings might remind people of portishead in a way....or sarah mclaughlin
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.01, 05:43 PM   #100
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Hmmm. My favorite album is definitely Distance, but I think my favorite song might be Letters. It's difficult trying to pick between Letters and the simplicity of Hayatochi-remix.