Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2010.02.11, 12:49 PM   #201
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Boy did I have to fiddle with the control scheme...
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.11, 02:33 PM   #202
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

So finally there is a release date for Alan Wake:
May 18th US
May 21st EU

They also announced the Limited Edition (That I immediately ordered on amazon.de AND amazon.co.uk, because to me it's not yet clear if the german version will have the english dub):

Item Description

In this long-awaited exclusive Xbox 360 title, fill the shoes of one Alan Wake, a man who makes his living from the terror of others as a best-selling suspense novelist. Trapped in the deceptively peaceful Washington town of Bright Falls, where he came to escape the trauma of losing his fiancée, Alan must piece together a mystery to prevent himself from being trapped inside a nightmarish world forever.

Hardbound in quality linen, the Limited Collector’s edition is designed to resemble a hardcover book. The Limited Collector's Edition will include:
# Game Disc in box with unique art
# Exclusive In-Game Audio Commentary and Hints by Remedy
# “The Alan Wake Files” – a 144pg book that includes a short story written by Alan Wake and compiles the FBI dossiers investigating the events in Bright Falls, WA
# Exclusive Audio Disc with Soundtrack and Score
# Game Add-on token redeemable on Xbox LIVE for the first Alan Wake add-on content pack
# Exclusive Xbox disc with special content: Alan Wake Xbox Live Theme and Alan Wake Avatar for Xbox LIVE
A linen bound book, The Alan Wake Files, and aside from the usual CE stuff you even get an AUDIO COMMENTARY. I've never seen this for a game.
Since Bioshock 1 the first Collectors Edition, that I even WANT to own.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.11, 02:50 PM   #203
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

The Amazon price is fantastic -- £40, only £3 more expensive than the standard edition and the standard edition will pretty much be that price in every shop. Looks really nice too.

You missed off the new HD trailer though!
Old 2010.02.11, 02:56 PM   #204
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
So finally there is a release date for Alan Wake:
May 18th US
May 21st EU

They also announced the Limited Edition (That I immediately ordered on amazon.de AND amazon.co.uk, because to me it's not yet clear if the german version will have the english dub):

A linen bound book, The Alan Wake Files, and aside from the usual CE stuff you even get an AUDIO COMMENTARY. I've never seen this for a game.
Since Bioshock 1 the first Collectors Edition, that I even WANT to own.
I really really really want to play this. maybe by the time it comes out I'll have an xbox 360 LOL.

have you seen In The Mouth of Madness? very similar set up but obviously very different execution. the basic plot premise is almost the exact same.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.11, 03:19 PM   #205
golem09

Yes, I have, several times, and I really like it, although I don't think Alan Wake will be even remotely as surreal as that.
I'd love to see it as a mix of Twin peaks, Mouth of Madness and Max Payne.
it's definitely by far my most wanted game of everything that is currently announced in the world of video gaming.

MyAnimelist
Old 2010.02.11, 03:24 PM   #206
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Yes, I have, several times, and I really like it, although I don't think Alan Wake will be even remotely as surreal as that.
I'd love to see it as a mix of Twin peaks, Mouth of Madness and Max Payne.
it's definitely by far my most wanted game of everything that is currently announced in the world of video gaming.
yeah it makes me sad how all the great psychological horror and survival horror games just turned to shit. Shattered Memories was good fun but Resident Evil 5 ;;shudder;; and then there haven't been any original series in a while that have been that great. BioShock is interesting but I like old school stumble around in the dark type games, not a huge fan of these big Resident Evil 5/BioShock beefy shoot-em up type games.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.02.11, 03:32 PM   #207
golem09

I had lots of fun with Obscure I + II, but it has kind of a B-Movie Story. It's still a lot of fun because of the Splitscreen Coop.

I love how Alan Wake has some kind of a Stephen King feeling about it. In one interview they did mention that they closely worked with a professional "writer", but no word if he was even popular or not.
For me, videogames are mainly a different way of telling a story, and there isn't really any game of that kind that I can look forward to except for Alan Wake, and maybe Haevy Rain.

MyAnimelist
Old 2010.02.11, 03:37 PM   #208
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
yeah it makes me sad how all the great psychological horror and survival horror games just turned to shit. Shattered Memories was good fun but Resident Evil 5 ;;shudder;; and then there haven't been any original series in a while that have been that great. BioShock is interesting but I like old school stumble around in the dark type games, not a huge fan of these big Resident Evil 5/BioShock beefy shoot-em up type games.
Have you tried Dead Space? It leans more towards the actions side like Resident Evil but the combat is much more rewarding and it's pretty damn scary. Condemned 1 and 2 are great too.
Old 2010.02.11, 03:49 PM   #209
golem09

Dead Space is really good, and the first action game that gave the me the survival feeling again, bacuse at some points I was almost compeltely out of ammo, and at other points I felt totally helpless against the enemies. Plus it goes away from all the whole "you can kill every enemy with headshots" system, which alone was genius.

I really like Bioshock 2, but I just can't play it. Clash of Heroes is just too addictive.

MyAnimelist
Old 2010.02.14, 11:39 PM   #210
lazer85

lazer85 puts considerable thought into their posts

I havent played a game in years and bought a ps3 last month to play FF13........it was not worth all that. At least I can sell the ps3 for close to what I paid for it (As was arranged in the beginning)
lazer85 is offline   Reply With Quote