Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.
Closed Thread

Old 2008.12.20, 01:54 PM   #331
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Just came back from Slumdog Millionaire. Best movie I've seen all year, hands down. Heartbreaking and captivating, I held my breath throughout most of the movie.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
Old 2008.12.20, 02:37 PM   #332
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

So I keep hearing. It's out in the UK 5 days before my birthday, so I'll probably go see it the weekend before.
Old 2008.12.26, 12:02 PM   #333
narusy

narusy pleased at least somebody

The Exorcist. That is all.

ps.. I also like Ghost World, and Kill Bill. Beatrix might be the most badass female character ever created.
Old 2008.12.29, 07:53 PM   #334
frecklegirl
apple-princess

frecklegirl knows what you did last summerfrecklegirl knows what you did last summer

I realized a lot of the movies I paid to see in theatres this year wound up being really shitty (27 Dresses, Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2, Mamma Mia!, etc--can you tell they were movies I went to see with a group of female friends?) and I am annoyed I bought movie tickets for them. Also, that WALL-E and not TDK is the best movie released this year, from what I have seen at least.
Old 2008.12.29, 09:38 PM   #335
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

What is TDK?
Old 2008.12.29, 09:50 PM   #336
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

The Dark Knight, probably.
Old 2008.12.29, 10:00 PM   #337
bromithia

bromithia has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Oh, right. They are both great movies, why not leave it at that.
Old 2008.12.29, 10:08 PM   #338
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Yeah, from what I've already observed, I was under the impression that TDK was a company that made blank recordable media (VHS/MiniDV/CD-R/DVD-R/etc.). Plus they make jittery CD/DVD burners (I would know because I've done my own tests), and they published the Robotech Battlecry game I have.

That brand name is much more ingrained into my memory than people too lazy to spell out The Dark Knight. I remember when there actually was a mini-series of Batman comics called specifically Dark Knight. You try searching for it now, and you just get overloaded with references to the film which has nothing in common with the comic subseries - except the name. I was collecting comicbooks in the early-to-mid 90s, and that was when the series was out. I still have some mint condition Knightfall comics from when I used to collect (it's a saga where Bruce Wayne gets his back broken). I started to lose interest in comics when the publishers were desperate enough for sales, that they'd kill off or cripple or resurrect main characters like every month.
Old 2008.12.30, 06:50 AM   #339
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Since we're talking about these two great movies, I received both dvds for Xmas. For some reason my PC dvd drive was giving me choppy playback (both dvds and cds) so as I was fixing it, I'd use the Dark Knight. Even with the choppy playback, I still could not help but get completely engrossed in each scene. I'd have to wait for the end of the scene to move on with my repairs.

Once I got the problem straightened out, I popped in Wall-e to watch the director's commentary. The great thing about Wall-E is that I wound up not paying attention at all to the commentary -- I wound up paying attention to the story which plays out almost entirely visually anyway, the commentary obscures little that's diagetic.

I don't think you can say the same for movies like Crash or The Departed.
Old 2008.12.30, 07:04 AM   #340
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I don't know about Wall*E, but The Dark Knight has some funky copy protection. About as soon as you reach the layer-change, there is no more of the standard encryption, but you get a few dummy/junk/stretchy/corrupt sectors instead. Even my particularly leet DVD drive had problems with this disc. DVD Decrypter couldn't even get through the 5th VOB and onward (normally I rip DVDs before I watch them - even if I own them). Then I installed AnyDVD, and everything was fine.

I just have to face the fact that DVD Decrypter (which hasn't been updated in years) is no longer good for anything other than demuxing, and only after AnyDVD has sorted out the messy sectors.