Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2008.09.30, 02:35 PM   #991
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Such is the nature of music games. They'll very rarely make any huge leaps in terms of gameplay, just evolve what works. Guitar Hero as a franchise didn't really make any huge leaps until the release of Rock Band, and I don't nor can I think of much they could do that would make it that much better. I understand that GH:WT has a pretty deep song creator, but Harmonix have pretty much stated that they're working on such a thing as it's own stand-alone product and not as a "rushed add-on".

I think the main problem here is that they want Rock Band to be a platform. That means for the rest of it's life every single song and every single instrument has to be cross compatible. Any major update to the fundamental gameplay would probably make older songs unable to function in the new engine, or they'd at least have to go back and 'fix' old tracks; a huge task when you take into consideration that there will be over 500 tracks available by the end of the year. The same thing can be said for instruments. Add a new cool gameplay idea that is hardware based and you cut off people that have invested a lot into purchasing instruments.

Rock Band 2 is still getting brilliant reviews with an average rating of 92%. They've added enough new gameplay tweaks and almost doubled the track-list to make it more than worthy of a purchase. Considering Rock Band is by far my most played game this generation and I constantly play it with friends, not only improving the formula but integrating it with everything I've already purchased makes it a far better deal and upgrade than, say, Guitar Hero 2 was from 1. Back then, it was almost exclusively "is the track-list better" which mattered.

As for the cymbals, well it's pretty easy to tell when a high hat or crash will be played so it shouldn't be too much trouble to learn to use them at the right moment; but yes it would be nice if they could do something to indicate that a note is a cymbal note. Maybe have an option to have cymbal notes glow a different colour. The good thing is that the 360 does recognise if it is a cymbal or a tom being hit. The cymbal doesn't just act as a 'different shaped, high up tom button' and use the same signal -- during breaks and such the cymbal triggers a different sample to the same coloured tom, so the option to integrate the cymbals more in future patches/games is there.

As for AC/DC, it's a nice addition but the pricing is ridiculous. The latest album release, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, is approx $19.99 for 17 tracks. The AC/DC pack is $39.99 -- twice the price -- for 18 tracks. Not to mention that it is disc exclusive to certain stores so it's an all or nothing deal.
Old 2008.09.30, 08:56 PM   #992
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
As for AC/DC, it's a nice addition but the pricing is ridiculous. The latest album release, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, is approx $19.99 for 17 tracks. The AC/DC pack is $39.99 -- twice the price -- for 18 tracks. Not to mention that it is disc exclusive to certain stores so it's an all or nothing deal.
Heard that over and over again, but the pure happiness of getting AC DC is bigger

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.01, 02:14 AM   #993
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
Heard that over and over again, but the pure happiness of getting AC DC is bigger
See, I'm a casual AC/DC listener which means I'd love to fork out for a few of their hits, 3 or 4, but I'm not willing to pay that price when I don't want all of it. I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I think I'd enjoy 2 albums worth of 'choice picks' DLC more. Meh, I'm sure they'll put it up on the marketplace after a few months.
Old 2008.10.01, 08:39 AM   #994
zarya

zarya is an asset to this community

Has any song list surfaced for Rock Band Japan?
What kind of bands are most likely to appear in it?
Any chance for some SR/TJ songs?
zarya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.01, 10:45 AM   #995
Inaudible-Whisper

Originally Posted by zarya View Post
Has any song list surfaced for Rock Band Japan?
What kind of bands are most likely to appear in it?
Any chance for some SR/TJ songs?
Nothing release thus far as far as I know. I have no idea about the likelihood of Ringo/Jihen being on it. As Maou said, it may be appear at the up and coming Tokyo Game Show.

Edit: I called Jihen Jihad
Old 2008.10.01, 10:24 PM   #996
Captain_Harlock

Captain_Harlock is headed in the right direction

Chance of SR. Didn't they mention her when they first mentioned Rock Band Japan? I think they did =(
Old 2008.10.02, 08:02 PM   #997
Captain_Harlock

Captain_Harlock is headed in the right direction

I have just bought a 360. I also got a used blue dragon and it doesnt work ;

edit: so after 40 minutes into blue dragon, it stopped working. completely.
And after 2-3 hours of fooling around on arcade and all... Red ring..

Last edited by Captain_Harlock : 2008.10.02 at 10:40 PM.
Captain_Harlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.03, 01:14 AM   #998
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Captain_Harlock View Post

Do you feel awesome now?
Yes / Yes
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.03, 03:20 AM   #999
Inaudible-Whisper

Originally Posted by Captain_Harlock View Post

You got the red ring after 3 hours of playing a new 360? Ouch. If it's a used 360, I wouldn't be too surprised. I've heard stories of people who get the red ring doing the towel trick which fixes the console for 1-2 weeks. They then sell the console as working, only for it to fail on the buyer very quickly. If it's one of the new consoles, that really sucks.
Old 2008.10.03, 04:53 AM   #1000
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

go register the xbox under your name on xbox.com asap. I just got mine fixed even though the waranty is expired because they extended the waranty for everyone with the red rings issue.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
cjhobbies00 is offline   Reply With Quote