Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2015.01.28, 01:28 PM   #621
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

There are still too many tracks on Oomori's albums that I outright skip, and that is true for each of the 3 so far.

Sometimes there are tracks that are there that feel like their purpose is to fill space.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.28, 03:38 PM   #622
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I would love to get this as a poster!
Old 2015.01.28, 05:37 PM   #623
TurtleFu

I wanna ask DG, are there people who don't get the irony with Omori at all and see her as just another idol to fap to?

I sound so much like a hater but I really really do like her music, I'm extremely excited about the Pink Tokarev album, Sennou is really good stuff, I like that all of her albums are incredibly different but still retain a sense of her, because she has such a complex identity as a songwriter.

And DG is right, there is something so wonderfully primal about the emotions that her songs can stir up, whether they are delivered in the package of an idol pop anthem or an acoustic confessional.

We have to remember that even Ringo wasn't an indie starlet, she started out major label, and by working within the mainstream she was able to expand what it was willing to accept, and I hope Omori's success invites even more girls who love idol pop but also have impressive songwriting chops to step up to the plate and carve their own identities.
Old 2015.01.28, 05:40 PM   #624
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Re: the fapping idol fans:
Most likely, but you can fap to anything if you put your mind to it :-p Some of the retarded comments I've read since Imitation Girl came out have been eye openers to how many pure idol fans completely miss the point of things at times. However, those people who just think she's a 'normal idol' aren't gonna get very far, they only have to move to ANY other release or see her live and they're in for a tough listen/show once she brings out that acoustic guitar.

However, that being said:
Are we even sure shes being ironic anymore? Was she ever ironic?

I don't even think she can answer that question herself, and if you did ask her she'd give some weird Togawa-esque response anyway. I definitely don't know myself for certain. I thought I had her figured out that way too (a sort of anti-idol figure) on her earlier releases, but not anymore, she's gone and fucked with everyone's expectations. And to be honest, at this point it doesn't bother me anymore/I'm enjoying the hell out of the wtf nature of her.

What's the point lingering on something without explanation (who knows, there could actually be no rhyme or reason to any of it in the end) only to miss out on the ride?

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.01.28 at 05:53 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.28, 06:05 PM   #625
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
I wanna ask DG, are there people who don't get the irony with Omori at all and see her as just another idol to fap to?
People usually fap when they are alone so it is very difficult to investigate. I know a guy who fapped to the PV of Netsuai Hakkakuchuu.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.28, 08:11 PM   #626
kalmia

kalmia is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Inseu View Post
I know a guy who fapped to the PV of Netsuai Hakkakuchuu.
That cleavage, though.
kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.29, 04:17 PM   #627
TurtleFu

What do you think Nostalgic J-Pop means DG? I know you don't like lyrics, so I'm asking how it makes you feel, especially her voice? How do you feel when you listen to it? What emotion is Oomori feeling in the song?

I have a point to this I swear.
Old 2015.01.29, 04:27 PM   #628
deadgrandma

I don't know what you're pushing.

But unfortunately I already have a good idea of what the lyrics are about so I can't answer in the way that you want.

If you're trying to prove the point that she's subversive then Nostalgic J-pop is quite a good example (albeit no doubt self aware). Though I don't really think it's about human suicide like so many suggest. More like the suicide of the industry.

Granted, I've only had chance to read fan translations, and I can only trust them to a certain point. A lot is lost in lyric translations I have noticed, or the translator gets the wrong impression and writes in the way they feel is right.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2015.01.29 at 04:33 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.01.29, 06:06 PM   #629
TurtleFu

It's a dark as fuck song is my point. It's Suki Suki Daisuki for our modern times. It's genius.

But somebody who has no knowledge of Japanese wouldn't really get that. So I'm thinking maybe Omori's American idol fans don't really understand what she's about, because it SOUNDS like an idol ballad, but it is wayyyy darker.

I actually didn't like it that much, but then I was really listening and it finally clicked with the lyrics, and I was like "HOLY CRAP". It's even more magical when she sings it live!!

Last edited by TurtleFu : 2015.01.29 at 06:10 PM.
Old 2015.01.29, 06:15 PM   #630
deadgrandma

Like I said, I'm still not sure what she means by it. I don't think it's about personal suicide. It's like the longing for what jpop used to mean- a roundabout critique on the current state of the industry.

Or it could be about human suicide.

Either way, its deeper than it sounds. Like the majority of her songs.