Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2014.02.14, 10:50 AM   #9041
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Missy Higgins - Peachy

I still think this is a really good album. : /
Old 2014.02.14, 01:48 PM   #9042
FadedSun

FadedSun raises the standards of what a community can offer

The more I listen to Kinoku Teikoku, the more I realize they sound nothing like Boris and the more I like them. They're a great band. There are only a couple songs that sound vaguely influenced by Boris. One of those being "Flower Girl" from their latest EP. So, definitely don't write them off as sounding like Boris.

Uzu Ni Naru (Full Album)
FadedSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.14, 02:48 PM   #9043
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Lol, I only like Flower Girl by them....

Maou: eww, Missy Higgins, really? She's one of those Aussie singers who really goes out of her way to remind you she's Australian, it annoys me to no end.

Seeound ef whyyyyt mate

Guess if I wasn't Australian myself I'd find it quirky or something haha.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.14 at 03:14 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.14, 03:57 PM   #9044
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Haha, DG sometimes I think you might be a self-loathing reluctant Australian.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014.02.14, 04:14 PM   #9045
FadedSun

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Lol, I only like Flower Girl by them....
I find that odd...

Well, have you listened to all of their albums or only that EP?
Old 2014.02.14, 04:21 PM   #9046
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
Haha, DG sometimes I think you might be a self-loathing reluctant Australian.
It's more a love/hate thing I've got at the moment. I love a lot of parts of our culture but I also hate it when it goes too far. I know for a fact that barely anyone except bumpkins speak with a strong Australian accent, so when I hear it "put on" in music it makes me wanna punch something. The worst is Australian hip hop. Fuck it's horrible.

Our movies too, annoy me. There's always gotta be 'forced' or 'tacked on' Austalian-isms. Just to let the viewer know where it's made. I haven't really noticed it too much in a lot of other countries' movies (except for the US- but because I don't live there- it doesn't stick out to me as much I guess). I dunno. Hard to explain.

Our internet is unbearably slow and unstable.

Our PM is a fucking evil lizard faced snake man too.

We make pretty good beer though. I'll give us that.

@Fadedsun: Yeah, I've listened to a couple others, but I just kinda wish they'd get 'heavier'. I sound like a teenager when I say that but everytime I attempt to listen I'll reach for Dronevil haha

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.14 at 04:25 PM.
Old 2014.02.14, 04:45 PM   #9047
FadedSun

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post

@Fadedsun: Yeah, I've listened to a couple others, but I just kinda wish they'd get 'heavier'. I sound like a teenager when I say that but everytime I attempt to listen I'll reach for Dronevil haha
Good album choice! Dronevil is too good. I have a mashed up copy of the albums. I've never tried to play both myself at the same time.

I think you would be able to enjoy them more if you get the idea out of your head that they're trying to sound like Boris, though. They're going for a more shoegaze influenced sound, IMO. But, if they're not your thing than that's cool. I want someone else to enjoy them as much as I do.
Old 2014.02.14, 05:26 PM   #9048
TurtleFu

So wait, if only bumpkins speak with Australian accents, what do non-bumpkin Australians sound like? English?

Haha, I've noticed that about Australian movies. They are always screaming AUSTRALIA right in your face, having to remind everyone that that is where there are! There was film even called "Australia"!
Old 2014.02.14, 08:09 PM   #9049
deadgrandma

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
So wait, if only bumpkins speak with Australian accents, what do non-bumpkin Australians sound like? English?

Haha, I've noticed that about Australian movies. They are always screaming AUSTRALIA right in your face, having to remind everyone that that is where there are! There was film even called "Australia"!
Another thing with Australian movies I've noticed is how often they're advertised as something else, more American overseas. For example, Wolf Creek to me and other Australians is a biting satire and a commentary on the whole 'missing tourists in the outback' thing- yes, it is violent and suspensful- but it is also very tongue in cheek. However, I've seen the international trailer and it sells it as a full on horror slasher. I guess if you weren't in on the (very sick minded) sense of humour in it, it could pass you by. Still, that's one of the better ones in recent memory. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and the sequel is shaping up to be even more of the same thing taken to the next level...

Ha, don't get me started on Australia- its an interesting watch to see how much wank Baz Lurhmann is capable of putting into a single film though. We'd only just started recovering from the damage and cliches Crocodile Dundee had caused and boom! out came Australia. Facepalm.

BTW: there's Kangaroos here sure, but they're mostly seen smushed on the road.

Anyway, to get back on topic, CLT:
Tim Buckley- Hello and Goodbye

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.02.14 at 08:16 PM.
Old 2014.02.14, 08:53 PM   #9050
TurtleFu

I know this is New Zealand, but I really enjoyed Black Sheep as a nice twist on horror movie formulas.