Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2009.12.18, 09:07 AM   #71
ShadyNook

ShadyNook raises the standards of what a community can offer

i suppose you could consider being in Tokyo Jihen as Shiina's active retirement.

its well deserved, but talent like that is sooo rare.
Old 2009.12.18, 09:49 AM   #72
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

ugh, I get on a plane, get off, and what the hell happened to the thread?

this should be about SPORTS, if you want to discuss your disappointment in Ringo I suggest a new thread so that members like myself, who enjoy the various phases in her career, don't have to shift through the shit to find legitimate news items about the new album.

but while we on the subject, I will state that I haven't even bothered to read the majority of the argument going on here, but justriingo, if you think your personal disappointment spells sellout for ringo, your solely mistaken. even if you don't like who ringo has become, she clearly seems happier and more successful doing what she has done recently that in any other period of her life. Ringo is seriously well off, so I highly doubt she riding off of the longtime fans for money, however, if that *is* true, the joke is largely on fans like you, who dislike her newer direction and hold the previous work up to a gold standard, hence why her solo anniversary was a year long and we got a b-sides collection, album remaster/rerelease, and Zazen Ecstacy. Because she probably makes money off of that and then uses it to record and release Variety and other such new work. Kinda makes you feel like an ass, no? It panders to the exact demographic your representing. And while you probably never buy anything and just pirate, it doesn't stop you from complaining, so if you must, stick to your own thread and out of the news.
Old 2009.12.18, 10:47 AM   #73
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
ugh, I dont like this argument and I'm not going to read it. But I am going to argue anyway.
Old 2009.12.18, 03:04 PM   #74
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Shifting gears a little, I'd like to raise the pollyanna-ish question of whether this upcoming Tokyo Jihen album will be the release that makes it impossible for the western music press to largely ignore Shiina Ringo and Tokyo Jihen any longer. I admit it's very premature since the album hasn't even leaked yet, so we don't actually know what it sounds like. But I could see an album of tracks similar in style and quality to the two that have been released so far being a big hit with certain audiences (like, I don't know, maybe prog-friendly indie rock types). If this would blow up on the internet, it might embarrass the mainstream music press into covering Tokyo Jihen regardless of their not touring outside of Japan (as well as mostly not marketing their music outside of Japan).
Old 2009.12.18, 03:22 PM   #75
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
I don't understand why SR is still putting out albums, unless she is:-

1. in a huge debt after the markets crashed
2. under duress from her record label because they kidnapped her son.
3. wanting to buy 3 boats and a villa on the French Riviera
4. doesn't care about making music anymore
5. wanted to write pop songs since her 15 yr old karaoke comp days.
6. making an excuse to meet up with Hata and molest his hair on the singles MV
7. actually enjoying her work and the music she writes
8. saving up the money to clone her original mole from stem cell
10. All of the above
...GTAVI's taking an eternity to install, so I thought I'll drop by. The western press will ignore SR/TJ long as the record label isn't selling her to the west. Or she sings a song about Easy Brezy like Japanesey.
Old 2009.12.18, 04:00 PM   #76
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Good question. But if the western press slept on Ringo no Uta and Marunouchi Sadistic, they can sure as hell miss out on Senkou Shoujo, the world's most generic song. It does have a populist post-Coldplay identikit vibe though, I'll give it that. I thought SR herself wasn't interested in selling to the West when the opportunity was put to her. That's up to her anyway, and it's the West's loss for not checking her out in the age of the internet.

P.S Easy Breezy is a really good tune, lyrics or not...
Old 2009.12.18, 05:10 PM   #77
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

i agree with kasanagi, i don't think the press will ever pay her any attention unless the label markets her here, but i think there are enough people around that could become interested and it's up to us to spread it!
i've wondered so many times why she can't be popular world wide, it doesn't seem to make sense. i figured language was a problem, but so many english-speaking bands make it in places that people have no clue what they are saying, so why can't it work the other way? then i figure it's her voice, it is very odd for a lot of people, whether they can get through the language barrier or not.
but i think ultimately it's just that japan isn't a big enough of a world power in terms of music. i think people around the world have accepted them in certain areas of their life--technology or video games, anime, whatever-- but most countries only care about their own, so the majority rarely even know that there is anything out there besides the main specific things that are expected out of each country (this country's good for this, this country's good for that).
i think the most we can hope for is to make her a bigger niche just like utada or hamasaki have their large small groups here and there (excuse the oxymoron).
in the end, though, it doesn't even matter. i know bjork is well known world wide but i've met so many people that have never even heard of her or only vaguely. the real mainstream only knows the gagas and rihannas.

Last edited by HEDOfloe : 2009.12.18 at 05:18 PM.
Old 2009.12.18, 05:51 PM   #78
so_cold

so_cold puts considerable thought into their posts

Japanese musicians are honored in the UK in the fields of classical, jazz, house and heavy metal music. Boris, Cornelius, Melt Banana and Shonen Knife have a cult following. It's sad that people don't value pop music, and it's sad that people won't listen to things in a foreign language. SR's music is perfectly accessible... *shrugs* Anyone who met and fell in love with SR without even a prior connection with Japan is impressive as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by so_cold : 2009.12.18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2009.12.18, 06:06 PM   #79
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
Anyone who met and fell in love with SR without even a prior connection with Japan is cool as far as I'm concerned.
That might be Ringo~Bingo (if I recall correctly).

I also had no connection with any Japanese music other than videogame music, before I got hooked on Shiina Ringo. She's been my very first "jpop" artist - no other performer had to "pave the way" for me to listen to her. The Casshern soundtrack is an excellent starting point for people who are unacquainted with modern Japanese music. I wasn't very connected with anime or Japanese films, either.

Then once you're actively following Shiina Ringo, it doesn't take long to discover other good artists (from inside or outside of Japan). I owe quite a lot to her industry connections, as well as the international fanbase.
Old 2009.12.18, 06:55 PM   #80
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
But if the western press slept on Ringo no Uta and Marunouchi Sadistic, they can sure as hell miss out on Senkou Shoujo, the world's most generic song. It does have a populist post-Coldplay identikit vibe though, I'll give it that.
But it's not unusual for artists in whatever area to win recognition belatedly, after their best work has been accomplished. Sometimes critics and journalists play catch up. Sometimes people get honors and awards for work that is not the equal of what they've done previously, just because someone realizes belatedly that, oh, we need to acknowledge this person.

(Of course I realize she already has won recognition within her own society. I'm still just talking about the west or the English speaking world or something like that. As in English as mother tongue.)
Closed Thread