Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2011.11.13, 06:55 PM   #1531
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

I'm actually surprised that Skyward Sword is being hailed as the best Zelda game ever. I mean all the stuff I have seen from it made it look kinda underwhelming (but oh so pretty). BUT, I'm kinda sad that I won't be able to play it since... I don't have a Wii. Oh woe.

Also, does anyone think Golden Sun on the GBA is hugely overlooked? Lately I've been really feeling the need to play Golden Sun: Dark Dawn for the NDS... which would mean I'd have to first acquire an NDS just for that one game, lol.
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.13, 07:17 PM   #1532
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

If you lived in Australia, you could have my Wii, what a waste of money that was... think I played it for about 2 weeks and then the novelty just died.

Though I did go back to play the Mario Galaxy games but that's it really.
Old 2011.11.13, 07:42 PM   #1533
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
If you lived in Australia, you could have my Wii, what a waste of money that was... think I played it for about 2 weeks and then the novelty just died.

Though I did go back to play the Mario Galaxy games but that's it really.
I do live in Australia! Melbourneeeeeeeeeeee.
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.14, 06:27 AM   #1534
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by zombiestrip View Post
I'm actually surprised that Skyward Sword is being hailed as the best Zelda game ever. I mean all the stuff I have seen from it made it look kinda underwhelming (but oh so pretty). BUT, I'm kinda sad that I won't be able to play it since... I don't have a Wii. Oh woe.

Also, does anyone think Golden Sun on the GBA is hugely overlooked? Lately I've been really feeling the need to play Golden Sun: Dark Dawn for the NDS... which would mean I'd have to first acquire an NDS just for that one game, lol.
There's also one of the best games of 2010 available for the NDS:
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes.
I got so addicted to that one, I played it in every free minute (literarlly, thanks to the DSs very fast standby feature) and finished it almost 3 times.
Amazing game.

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.15, 03:25 PM   #1535
karateexplosion

karateexplosion is an asset to this community

I gave Dark Souls another shot the other day. It's actually pretty horrible and great at the same time. It's completely, sadistically, frustratingly difficult. In the maybe, six or so hours I've got on my character, I've probably been killed over 150 times.

The game is pretty open-world, and there're no quests and virtually no direction given to you through the story to help point you in the right direction, so one minute you could be wiping stuff out with ease and the next minute you find yourself in a new area where shit just one-hits you. It's way of telling you where you need to go is straight up killing you if you stray, haha. Peppered with semi-out-of-the-way-but-still-in-the-general-area, stupidly overpowered enemies that you have to be careful not to provoke, along with the obligatory surprise kills now and then. For example, at one point in the game, after rushing halfway across a bridge to engage a small group of enemies on the other side, a dragon pops out of FUCKING NOWHERE and proceeds to burn everything in the area to death, including you. Completely unavoidable unless you're reading a walkthrough. Which I have pulled out occasionally during the game, just to make sure I'm not heading into certain death, which I neglected to do during that part, haha. Another asshole move that the game pulls? Experience and money? Same thing. And if you die, it all drops on the ground where you bit the dust and you have to trek back to try and recover it. Oh, you died on the way? Too bad, you're shit out of luck, it's gone for good. So you have to make sure to level/purchase what you need AS SOON AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN, since all the effort and grinding may end up being for naught. After you get a handle on what the game's all about though, you do die a lot less often and things feel a bit more manageable, even if you do still get your ass handed to you on a regular basis. That said, it is not at all friendly to gamers when you first jump into it, so if anyone feels like picking it up, make sure to give it at least a couple hours of playthrough before you say "fuck this game" and throw the controller down in disgust.

Other than that though, it's pretty solid. Would highly recommend to anyone with slightly masochistic tendencies.

Pro tip for anyone looking to give it a try: You can attack and kill all the NPCs in the game (for pretty decent stuff too) but you need to be absolutely certain that you won't need them in the future and that you can, in fact, beat them. They will NEVER FORGIVE YOU and they DO NOT RESPAWN. I made the mistake of trying to take down one of the characters who was chilling next to the first checkpoint in the game after the tutorial area. Turns out he was much, much stronger than I. Every time I died, I would respawn there, where he would immediately be on my ass to either chase me literally anywhere I went and kill me outright. I actually had to just go ahead and delete that profile and start from scratch, haha. I also accidentally hit the first and only merchant you see for a good, long while when I wasn't paying attention. I was able to kill him, and got some pretty neat stuff for it too, so it didn't really affect me in the long run, but I'm just glad I wasn't a ranged character, 'cause I still haven't found anyone else that sells arrows yet, haha.
karateexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.15, 09:40 PM   #1536
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

karateexplosion,
Everything you've just described, sounds about 99% consistent with my experiences in Demon's Souls (Dark Souls' PS3-only predecessor).

I didn't start to feel "in-control" (if there is such a state of being) until I could more-consistently parry/riposte - although that's a gamble I'm still much too chickenshit to attempt with really strong enemies (such as Red-Eyed Knights).

Bosses were actually among the least scary enemies, because they're more predictable, you're better-able to avoid line-of-sight (from some distance you can more-likely maintain), and one hit from them wouldn't quite kill you. As you well-know by now, there's plenty of other mofos who are much more dangerous.

Ditto about the surprise on the bridge, too.
You really don't know how un-revolutionary Dark Souls is, but it's good to hear you're able to derive satisfaction from it somehow.
I'm trying not to hold it against Dark Souls that it's more accessible and popular, but as someone who hasn't had enough time to beat Demon's Souls (and from seeing all-too-familiar testimony like yours), I seem to have no reason to jump on Dark Souls yet.
Old 2011.11.16, 03:37 AM   #1537
destrega
Banned

destrega pleased at least somebody

Dark Souls seems rock solid at first but as soon as you get a decent shield/sword and learn how to parry, you'll be going through that world like a boss. My first play took 80+ hours but subsequent playthroughs are taking less than 20.

Once you learn a few things you'll just be LOLing hard at those Black Knights and sidestepping them like they aren't there.

Beast of a game. Persevere and you shall be rewarded big time.
destrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.17, 01:53 AM   #1538
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Been playing Saints Row 3. Good times. It may not be anything new, but... it focuses on fun above anything else. Solid.
Old 2011.11.17, 05:48 PM   #1539
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

I started in on Protoype, and really like the free-flowing destruction you can do, especially with the New York setting. I haven't even started any missions, just enjoying the carnage.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.11.17, 08:27 PM   #1540
W3iHong

W3iHong is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Nimh View Post
I started in on Protoype, and really like the free-flowing destruction you can do, especially with the New York setting. I haven't even started any missions, just enjoying the carnage.
Yeaaaaah. Just like assassin's creed.

Instead of the missions, I murder the innocents.
W3iHong is offline   Reply With Quote