Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2009.01.05, 06:55 AM   #181
Lena-chan
EMF's mascot

Lena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areLena-chan can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

maybe bongo is just too young (for the first time!!!! O_____O)
when I was at his age, I liked almost every anime that I watched... and the ones that I didn't like in that time I watch now and I see how I like them better now...
dunno o.o

渾て獨りぼっちだから
Lena-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.05, 07:29 AM   #182
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

My age has nothing to do with it Lena, I don't just like everything I watch at all.. in fact I tend to dismiss most of the current output as utter garbage and perhaps only find two or three shows that I really like per season! I've been watching anime since as far back as I can remember and have a very firm set of tastes for what I want to see and what I don't want to see, I can usually tell withing 5 minutes of seeing a show whether or not I'll like it and my senses have yet to let me down (except for Ergo Proxy which was pretty... pretty garbage that is)

I had a look at Golem's recommendations and I immediately got drawn to the atmosphere of Baccano! and was left cold with Fullmetal Alchemist! some people hail Naruto and Dragonball as incredible but I think that they are trash, others rave about the output of Studio Ghibli but their films bore me to tears, I much prefer Satoshii Kon's work! I may be young but I've seen an absolute ton of anime from all genres and I definitely know what I like and what I don't like.

Oh! and for the record Rahxephon is better than Evangelion as well!
(I argued for an hour with somebody about this recently)
Ringo~Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.05, 08:43 AM   #183
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

You liking Satoshii Kon's works is great. Not all people do. But not liking Ghibli is WTFISWRONGWITHYOU D:
Ever watched Nausicäa? Mononoke Hime? Laputa? Castle of Cagliostro? Whisper of the Heart?
Seriously, that's got to be some of the most epic animated films ever made.

And... My EVA fanboyism aside, I really like RahXephon a lot, mainly for the soundtrack. But Gainax and Anno worked their way better around the financial troubles than Bones. The animation on some later RahXephon episodes is pretty sh*tty and the story kind of died around episode 10 or something. Besides... It rips-off so many things from Evangelion.
ShinjiPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.05, 08:49 AM   #184
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Ringo~Bingo knows what you did last summerRingo~Bingo knows what you did last summer

I've seen every single Ghibli film and owned them as well (there was a buy one get one free sale).. but I never really liked them, though Castle in the Sky was good, I agree that Rahxephon's animation was a little shoddy at times but the overall atmosphere/music was more enjoyable for me than Eva's constant depressing scenario, even though Rahxephon did borrow heavily, Ayato was more believable for me than Shinji ever was! though Misato's the best female character ever.

Last edited by Ringo~Bingo : 2009.01.05 at 08:55 AM.
Old 2009.01.05, 09:07 AM   #185
MortAd

MortAd pleased at least somebody

Well, I think this is about what are you looking for when watching anime... Just like in movies or books or music... Some people just watch anime trying to find some kind of stories, some kind of characters and so on... Some just like mecha, others like shonen of shoujo and so on... Maybe Ringo~Bingo doesn´t find in Fullmetal Alchemist what he´s looking for in anime... In that way, many people dislikes animes that are very good indeed... It´s just doesn´t get their atention...

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
Oh! and for the record Rahxephon is better than Evangelion as well!
(I argued for an hour with somebody about this recently)
Please, try to keep in mind that one thing is an anime that is more ENJOYABLE than other, and a anime that is BETTER than other... Because I can accept that there are MANY animes MORE ENJOYABLE than Shin Seiki Evangelion... But BETTER? That´s a different thing...

MyLastFM
MortAd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.05, 09:09 AM   #186
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

Just please tell me in one sentence the essence of why you don't want to watch FMA, or what you expect from it.
I'm just so persistent, because I heavily disliked FMA, too before I watched it.

Regarding the topic of "Taste" I have to agree with MortAd, personal feelings and an objective rating are two completely different things. Just most people won't ever ever accept or admit that they like shitty stuff.
And so yes, NGE is definitely better, althought more people might enjoy Rahxephon.

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2009.01.05 at 09:12 AM.
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.05, 09:13 AM   #187
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

I like the term you used there, rather than better I'll be a little more diplomatic about it and proclaim that.. for me at least I find Rahxephon to be more enjoyable than Evangelion.

You hear that NCORE? my anime list ain't "shitty" it's simply less enjoyable to you than other anime.

EDIT:@Golem, I tend to go on sheer instinct when I watch a show and I just got nothing from FMA when I looked into it, I can't really explain it any better but that's just how it is.

I wouldn't worry so much about it because if you like it then that's all that matters surely?
Old 2009.01.05, 09:24 AM   #188
golem09

After losing their mother, Alphonse and Edward Elric attempt to bring her back using the forbidden science of human alchemy. However, alchemy operates on the theory of equivalent trade, and breaking the human alchemy taboo carries a heavy price. Ed loses his leg, and Al loses his body. Ed is able to seal Al's soul inside of a huge suit of armor, at the cost of his arm. Years later, Ed (now with two mechanical limbs) and Al (still trapped in the armor) leave their childhood home, each brother concerned with the other's happiness. Ed, who has a natural talent and skill for alchemy, becomes nationally certified and is soon known everywhere as the "Fullmetal Alchemist." Their true objective is to search for any information on the fabled Philosopher's Stone, hoping it will allow them to regain their old bodies. All of their hopes rest with this mythical stone, which may not even exist at all. However, the brothers soon learn that they are not the only ones after the powerful stone.
How can you not like this storyline :3

The show is a beautiful tale about the two brothers who want to restore the other ones body, because they both feel guilty of being stupid enought to try to resurrect their mother. Reaching this goal is without limits to them, but they learn and experience enough on the way to question everything.

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2009.01.05 at 09:27 AM.
Old 2009.01.05, 09:27 AM   #189
Ringo~Bingo
Banned

Oh God it's like a wall of Fullmetal zealots trying to convert me look I'm downloading the series now OK! I'll watch all 50+ episodes of it then come back and tell you that I still liked Blood+ better just help me out with some info.. can I watch this show on it's own and get the full story without having to watch 20 spin off movies?
Old 2009.01.05, 09:29 AM   #190
golem09

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo View Post
Oh God it's like a wall of Fullmetal zealots trying to convert me look I'm downloading the series now OK! I'll watch all 50+ episodes of it then come back and tell you that I still liked Blood+ better just help me out with some info.. can I watch this show on it's own and get the full story without having to watch 20 spin off movies?
There is just the show and one movie with an alternate storyline which you don't have to look at all.
And man, I'm just trying to convince you, because I think that YOU might like it. Not because I like it so much

MyAnimelist