Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Which is your least favourite of the big three Ringo albums?
Muzai Moratorium 18 54.55%
Shouso Strip 6 18.18%
Kalk Zamen Kuro No Hana 9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011.12.11, 02:49 PM   #1
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer
Default LEAST favourite of the "Big Three"

Yeah, just to be an asshole, I'll put this one forward.

Which one do you like the least?

Muzai Moratorium
Shouso Strip
Kalk Zamen Kuro no Hana

I choose these 3 because they are obviously the most loved out of everything she's done.

I choose Shouso Strip, cause I am the only one not taken in by Gips' charms, and feel the flow is totally ruined by it.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.12.11 at 02:52 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.11, 03:05 PM   #2
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Muzai Moratorium.

Muzai Moratorium has Koko de Kiss shite., the worst song Ringo has ever written.
Some of the songwriting completely lacks depth and sophistication, most of the songs follow simple chorus-verse structure, and Ringo's singing is terrible. I don't get why people complain about Killer Tune being shrill when Ringo is shrill for the ENTIRETY of Muzai Moratorium.

The songs are good, I like about 6/11, but I prefer them in their later forms than the versions on the album. It was Ringo's debut, and it just screams AMATEUR.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.11, 03:20 PM   #3
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

I dunno, I would never ever refer to it as 'amateur'. At worst, you could maybe describe it as 'quirky', 'angsty' or whatever cheesy term seems to be added to any female alternative artist from the 90s.

But as a debut, it's pretty solid. Sure, it's not Funeral or if you're gonna go Japanese, Tamahime Sama, but it's not 'amateur' like Pablo Honey, Y Kant Tori Read or We Care A Lot 'amateur' either.
Old 2011.12.11, 04:24 PM   #4
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

any album that gave us Etienne Trilogy and Cool on your Island is anything but "amateur," Y Kant Tori Read makes shit "pianists" like Alicia Keys look like con artists. In fact, if you were even ALIVE for 80's and remember the music, it actually isn't that bad. Today it comes off as nostalgic at the worst.

I don't think MM is amateur either, and KDKS is definitely not Ringo's worst song (that honor would probably go Futaribocchi Jikan or Iroikoizata...)

I mean if you want to compare it to KSK or SS I can understand your viewpoint but MM was Ringo at her pop-height, a lot of the songs were written as a teenage and show the truest influence to pop music. As such it was a tremendous hit and made everything else following it possible, so I don't really think hating it makes much sense. If you want to talk about cohesiveness I think it is the least cohesive of the "big three" if you say so, but in my mind Ringo's worst solo album is SG, and that is because she threw it together in six months and rather than think things thorough relied on inviting a revolving door of musical artists to come in and produce and guest appear on various tracks, making it much more watered down and schizophrenic that it could have been.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.11, 04:28 PM   #5
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

A poll that lets me rag on MM without feeling guilty about it? Thanks, deadgrandma

The first four-track stretch of MM is amazing. Collectively better than the first four tracks on SS or KSK. But starting with Akane-sasu, the rest of the album doesn't compare to the rest of the other two -- but that's not an easy comparison for MM. I love Morphine, but it's no Izonshou or Souretsu.

And in the six or so months I've been listening to solo Shiina, I've settled into Gips but just can't settle into Koko de Kiss Shite.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.11, 05:01 PM   #6
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

"Amateur" wasn't the right word. It was "teenager". MM is a teenager album. The emotions and music seems simplistic. Some of the lyrics are great, but some have such teenager/early college ideas in them. It's hard to explain, but it's the attitude teenagers and young adults have. ("What is happiness?") ("Our love is SO IMPORTANT!")

And some songs have complex emotions but fail on the music part (Koufukuron) or have good melodies but simple song structures and emotions (Tadashii Machi). If the entire album was made up of Tracks 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, and Suberidai, and Toki ga Bousou Suru, and Remote Controller I would be much happier.

@The Most Curious Thing
It seems like the MM songs that you like are the ones that I don't.
I LOVE Kabukichou no Joou, Marunouchi Sadistic, Akane Sasu Kiro Terasaredo..., Sid to Hakuchuumu, Tsumiki Asobi, and Onaji Yoru.
I'm neutral towards Tadashii Machi, Keikoku, and Morphine.
I don't like Koufukuron.
I HATE WITH A BLOODY PASSION Koko de Kiss Shite.

I am not articulating this well. Either way, even if MM isn't "bad", it's still not as good as Shouso Strip (which was actually my least favorite for a while... Gips) and definitely not as good as KZK.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.11, 05:58 PM   #7
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I understand that MM, SS, and KZK are generally put on a tier to themselves, but this also seems curiously framed so deadgrandma doesn't have to hear any blatant SG criticism

and as for Koko de being the worst SR penned song: puh-leeze.
Old 2011.12.11, 06:18 PM   #8
deadgrandma

I didn't put SG in there cause I didn't want to make it unfair for the other three Cause you know, any criticism against it just cannot penetrate it's wall of deadgrandma love. (I think it is obvious now that my opinion for SG is as stubborn as Jihad's love for the Gallaghar twins)

In all seriousness though, I think this is a pretty genuinely hard one to vote on, I don't see yours yet...

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2011.12.11 at 06:32 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.11, 06:24 PM   #9
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
In all seriousness though, I think this is a pretty genuinely hard one to vote on, I don't see yours yet...
He's waiting for me to voice my opinion. It's a classic Jihad move.
Old 2011.12.11, 08:00 PM   #10
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
He's waiting for me to voice my opinion. It's a classic Jihad move.

In all seriousness though, I hadn't picked because I didn't think it was particularly thought provoking. It either boils down to SS/KZK being expansive, well produced or being too unfocused and pretentious. MM on the other hand is praised for it's raw energy and simplicity or disparaged for it not having the breadth of her future work. The three albums are the evolution of an artist; an almost too perfect begin, middle, end. There is nothing engaging in saying I like one least. I don't learn anything about myself or Shiina from such an extemporaneous question.

What IS engaging is seeing asinine, lunch-period intellectual reasons MM is "clearly" inferior.