Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Retrospective Classic
Heisei Fuzoku 4 21.05%
Variety 1 5.26%
Sanmon Gossip 11 57.89%
Sports 3 15.79%
Dai Hakken 0 0%
Color Bars 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013.07.17, 02:05 PM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Post-Mortem Classic

If, retrospectively, one of the post-Adult albums were to achieve 'classic SR status,' which one do you think it would be? On EMF at least. Because people can get it wrong at the time. It always happens.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2013.07.17 at 02:09 PM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.17, 02:56 PM   #2
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

I wouldn't be surprised if Heisei Fuzoku were to win this poll, for several unfair reasons:
1.) It borrows material from SS, ZCS, (especially) KSK, the Ringo no Uta single, and Kyoiku.
2.) It's the only album with an instrumental version thus far, which means it's the only album we can judge independently of what the vocals sound like.
3.) The studio recordings raised the bar too high for any live performances to meet or exceed that.

Sanmon Gossip would be the clear choice for me, if they had used the Ringo Expo version of Yokyou instead, and not included Marunouchi Sadistic.
Old 2013.07.17, 06:49 PM   #3
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

If you are a Ringo fan, then you should choose either HF or SG. (Or even Doku Ichigo, but that option is not there). For anyone who has known me for more than a day, you should already know what choice mine is.

If you prefer Tokyo Jihen, then you should choose Sports or maybe Daihakken, afterall, they are the same album.
Old 2013.07.17, 07:31 PM   #4
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

I chose SG as a Ringo classic because of that dense sound. Tokyo Jihen albums are more enjoyable to me.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.17, 07:35 PM   #5
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Gonna go with Sanmon Gossip on this one. I don't consider HF to be a classic, to be perfectly honest. It's a bunch of rehashed KSK songs with orchestral arrangements and a few new tracks. I'd sooner tell someone to listen to KSK than pick this one up. While I like most of the new tracks (not too big on Sakuran, but eh), they're really not enough to make me see this as a great album. It's more of a collector's piece.

Sanmon Gossip, on the other hand, is basically Ringo in the modern era. It is a piece of history. It's also got the tracks to back that claim up. The first four songs are completely solid, you've got Tsugou, Shun, Togatta, Bonsai Hada, and Yokyou. And there really isn't a song on the album that's terrible, per se, so what we've got here is a pretty solid collection. I've also found most of the tracks improve with age rather than become dated. Even some MM and SS tracks make me roll my eyes a bit. But that isn't really the case with this one. It's got my vote.
Old 2013.07.18, 07:46 AM   #6
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

SG is the clear choice here. HF would be an "unfair" choice indeed since it only stands on the backs of past classics.
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.18, 05:16 PM   #7
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

I disagree. SO HARD.

HF reinterprets and reimagines many of her prior compositions. It places them in an entirely new context. Comparing the different versions of the songs are unfair. HF shows Ringo's versatility, and how she deserves to stand as a great Jazz artist.

And it's a gorgeous, haunting collection of songs. It's also one of her tightest albums, I think, in that all the songs flow into the next and fit together so well. It's hard for me to listen to a full album from start to finish (I usually get bored and switch 3/4 way through). Not with HF. That shit's on replay.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.19, 12:11 AM   #8
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

In my mind it *nearly* achieves that (Gamble, STEM) -- but Ishiki, Poltergeist and Meisai not being THAT different from the originals drags the album too far into KZK clone territory. And Frankenstein Yokushitsu could have been better tbh.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.19, 12:42 PM   #9
Nimh
Administrator

Nimh deserves a fucking medal

Sanmon Gossip sounds like Ringo doing a cover album of a bunch of other people's songs. I know that makes absolutely no sense but I get the same derivative, eclectic, and technically brilliant vibe from Utaite Myori.

HF is KZK 2.0. Instant classic.
Nimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.07.21, 02:27 PM   #10
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Meisai not being that different? Uh, KZK Meisai is awesome because of the distorted telecaster and that screechy violin. Which HF Meisai does not have.
And as I said before, HF Poltergeist is waltzer-er. It makes the song more grandiose. KZK Poltergiest is cloying while HF Poltergiest is... listless?

But I've just said that's not the point! Get HF. Start playing it with headphones. listen to the WHOLE THING. Isn't it amazing at setting a mood, creating a flowing soundscape? Listening to that album makes the time just fly. By the end of it I just want to listen again.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote