Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2009.05.17, 02:02 AM   #1
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Question How's Cocco?

I keep reading that she was the original Ringo, and she's even better than Ringo in some regard. Thinking of checking her out -- listened to a few songs on youtube but they haven't really clicked with me yet. Any album in particular, or is listening to her entire discography more rewarding?
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.17, 02:20 AM   #2
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Some years ago she was kind of similar to Ringo, but lately she's been only releasing boring and minna no uta-ish stuff. Check her old stuff and maybe the album 'Zansaian', which I like a lot ^^.
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.17, 02:37 AM   #3
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

I like Cocco a lot. Her last album, kira kira, is sort of a minimalist Okinawa folk album, and probably not a good place to start. 'Rapunzel' and the aforementioned 'Zan-Cyan' are better. If you run across the double cd 'Best Album' “Best + Back Best + unreleased songs”, that's maybe a better intro than anything else.

Last edited by TeslaGuy : 2009.05.17 at 02:42 AM.
TeslaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.17, 02:42 AM   #4
merman

merman is an asset to this community

I never thought she's very similar to Ringo, and I've only heard some of her earlier stuff (Kumuiuta and Rapunzel). Her brand of rock is a less experimental one, though Rapunzel in particular was a great album and a recommended listen to anyone who likes Japanese music and guitars.
merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.17, 02:58 AM   #5
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

the original ringo? what does that even mean? ringo is ringo, she has always been only herself and the fact that people go back and refer to performers who came before her as the the original ringo just says even more about ringo's impact on the scene. I don't know who cocco is really but reading this thread kind of turns me off.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.17, 06:08 AM   #6
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Countdown

Cocco is lovely.

I still have yet to pick up an album from her, but when I get around to it it;ll definitely be the best of album she put out -- all the songs I've loved from her come off of that. But everyone says that her albums are what are solid and you should go through them one at a time.

But the whole "original Ringo" thing is silly. I think Cocco debuted in '97 -- only a year before Ringo. And it's not like Japan didn't have rockin' eccentric girls before. Just look at UA, CHARA, YUKI (JAM), Nanase Aikawa, Nokko (and her band, Rebecca), they all debuted before 1995.

last.fm

Last edited by mizer_unmei : 2009.05.17 at 06:15 AM.
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.17, 07:27 AM   #7
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

The "original Ringo" thing may be a inaccurate paraphrasing of brief bios at sites like Project-J and nippop.

An excerpt from Project-J:
Flag bearer for many artists like Shiina Ringo and Yaida Hitomi, who make music by reaching deep into their heart, Cocco’s eccentric personality and old fashioned lifestyle has made her one of the most enigmatic figures of the Japanese music scene. For her, singing is not a hobby but an unpleasant, even painful task she must accomplish to cleanse her soul of impurities, unleashing all the sadness and anger sleeping inside of her.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In some ways Cocco is better than Ringo. It's not like Ringo is perfect.
Old 2009.05.17, 07:35 AM   #8
Orenji

Orenji puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by TeslaGuy View Post
An excerpt from Project-J:
Flag bearer for many artists like Shiina Ringo and Yaida Hitomi, who make music by reaching deep into their heart, Cocco’s eccentric personality and old fashioned lifestyle has made her one of the most enigmatic figures of the Japanese music scene. For her, singing is not a hobby but an unpleasant, even painful task she must accomplish to cleanse her soul of impurities, unleashing all the sadness and anger sleeping inside of her.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In some ways Cocco is better than Ringo. It's not like Ringo is perfect.
I don't think Ringo took Cocco as an excerpt. Her musical influences have nothing to do with Japanese musicians like Cocco. She was into Mukai Shutoku's NUMBER GIRL and oldies music, as you can see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringo_S...nese_Musicians
Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.17, 08:01 AM   #9
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

You completely miss my point, which was stated in the first sentence of my post. The one you didn't quote. Perhaps merely a translation thing.
Old 2009.05.17, 08:06 AM   #10
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

Project J is back? Woah, when did that happen? I was a big member of their boards back when it was... well actually updated. But that was a time where Hitomi Yaida and Ringo were talked about in the same breath. Which, I never see now. Well, I barely see anything about Yaiko nowadays.

I don't think that except has to do with her influencing Ringo though. Cocco's presence probably helped Ringo get a record deal though. If Cocco had a fanbase, that would be a reason for singer songwriters to be picked up.

And no one is better than anyone. They're all human and they're all awesome. It really just depends on whether or not you connect with that artist's music or not.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote