Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Polls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polls This is where you find out how many people share your opinion - without prompting them to actually say something.
View Poll Results: Da best song on Sanmon Gossip
Ryūkō 3 4.35%
Rōdōsha 2 2.90%
Mittei Monogatari 2 2.90%
Zero Chiten Kara 3 4.35%
Karisome Otome 2 2.90%
Tsugō no Ii Karada 14 20.29%
Shun 12 17.39%
Futari-bocchi Jikan 2 2.90%
Mayakashi Yasaotoko 2 2.90%
Togatta Teguchi 8 11.59%
Irokoizata 2 2.90%
Bonsai Hada 11 15.94%
Yokyō 4 5.80%
Marunouchi Sadistic (EXPO) 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009.09.02, 10:12 PM   #31
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
I'm guessing that Yokushitsu SS would be on a best of. Togatta Teguchi >>>>>>>> Yokushitsu

Ugh do you think that she could be releasing a Best Of soon?

And wow, Ii Karada has loads of fans! O_O (6 but it'll still tying for 1st place)
no.

her label wanted to do a best of after SS since they thought it was the end of her solo career (due to her pregnancy and taking time off), but Ringo refused, she said she doesn't like best-of's, so she did Utaite Myori, the double album of covers, to fulfill the contractual third album and serve as her possible last "best-of" type release.

fast forward to 10th anniversary and even still she refused to do a proper "best of" album, so we ended up getting WtH, a double disc of b-sides and rarities coupled with a Singles PV DVD. this is probably the closest we will see of an actual best of.

Ringo probably won't okay an actual best of in her career until she has finally reached "that" point. I don't think, even as much as she has changed, she wll waiver on this point, she has made it pretty clear so far.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.03, 02:15 AM   #32
Beltshumeltz

Beltshumeltz is headed in the right direction

Well it's cool as it doesn't screw over completionists who'll need to buy something that would match their "best of" playlist file anyway.

I really hope she'll have a long career as I would love having to choose between 20 studio albums of hers some time. I think for huge fans of hers, a best-of is unnecessary since we've probably acquired tastes for less popular songs, while Best Of usually have the most popular songs only.

edit: My paragraph 1 and 2 contradict each other but I'm not gonna fix it...

I'm surprised Karisome Otome, as well as as track 1 and 3 aren't more popular, I thought it was her most popular song or something, and track 1 and 3 are really easy to like.
Beltshumeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.03, 03:30 AM   #33
Osiris12345

Osiris12345 deserves a fucking medal

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
Zero/Maru whatever Chiten Kara. It's the only "Best of" quality song here.
That was unexpected of you, Jihad. I thought for sure you'd be voting for Bonsai Hada.
Old 2009.09.03, 04:15 AM   #34
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 View Post
That was unexpected of you, Jihad. I thought for sure you'd be voting for Bonsai Hada.
Yeah

I hope her career lasts for 20+ more years. She could be like the Japanese Bob Dylan or something, complete with sucky periods. Except the comments she makes about "Not expecting to come this far" is surprising.

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.09.03 at 04:22 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.03, 04:32 AM   #35
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I like Bonsai Hada alot, don't get me wrong. But Maru Chiten Kara is a cooler sounding song. It's been however long since I last listened to the album and out of the two songs mentioned, I voted for the one whose tune I could still recall.
(thats not to say it was the only tune i could recall.)
Old 2009.09.03, 02:09 PM   #36
kuro_neko

ringo is at a critical point in her career, she really could go both ways at this point. as a woman pop artist in Japan, popular rule dictates that she should fall into obscurity sometime in the next few years. she is getting too old to be sold and marketed in a certain way. part of me thinks that that is why she has started to write for other artists recently, then again, said artists are said age/around said age as ringo, so it doesn't make a huge deal. she definitely has the potential to be a prolific decade-spanning artist, but to do that as a female pop musician in japan, she requires a certain scheme of sorts. she also has to have that drive. she is certainly rich enough to retire at this point, so almost everything else we get from here on out is probono, she is creating for the sake of creating and not to make some bread. Even in the States it is hard. part of me wonders if Ringo is making more accessible and pop orientated music these days, not because she necessarily has been leaning that way, but because she is trying to successfully age and mature herself in the industry so as to withstand the test of time. jihen seems the true escape for her crazy rock alter-ego (which is sad if they keep on shackling her in the musical confines of Variety...)
Old 2009.09.03, 02:50 PM   #37
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

And within th confines of a certain guitarist's playing style...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, I haven't really paid attention to the ST 'writing for other artists' deal, but it's is a big thing. Looking at Sanmon Gossip, isn't the whole album more or less that? Not "Ringo and Friends" but "Friends and Ringo?" Ryuukou is a Maboroshi song. Roudousha is very similar to what Ikeda's done before. The main attraction to Bonsai Hada is coba. She even said in an interview that she basically wrote Mayakashi for Soil n Pimp. MaruSad was very Ukigumo.

Of course, she's always been very influenced by other artists. But it's more apparent this time round.

I wouldn't mind if she primarily wrote for other people. But not cheesy pop stars. She should write film/TV soundtracks (Wait, we got Jikan out of that. But we also got Tamatebako!)
Old 2009.09.03, 03:04 PM   #38
kuro_neko

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
And within th confines of a certain guitarist's playing style...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

But seriously, I haven't really paid attention to the ST 'writing for other artists' deal, but it's is a big thing. Looking at Sanmon Gossip, isn't the whole album more or less that? Not "Ringo and Friends" but "Friends and Ringo?" Ryuukou is a Maboroshi song. Roudousha is very similar to what Ikeda's done before. The main attraction to Bonsai Hada is coba. She even said in an interview that she basically wrote Mayakashi for Soil n Pimp. MaruSad was very Ukigumo.

Of course, she's always been very influenced by other artists. But it's more apparent this time round.

I wouldn't mind if she primarily wrote for other people. But not cheesy pop stars. She should write film/TV soundtracks (Wait, we got Jikan out of that. But we also got Tamatebako!)
I think your confusing ringo's writing versus the arrangement. ryuukou doesn't sound like maboroshi AT ALL, it sounds like Phase 2 Tokyo Jihen circa Adult. Probably cuz it was arranger by a former member of Jihen who left right before Adult was recorded...

the rest of the tracks all sound like the artists who appear in them cuz they were mostly arranged by the same said artist. Coba arranged his track, so didn't Soil and Pimp and all the other people. It has nothing to do with what Ringo's original song sounded like and more or less to do with who arranged it. Good example, MaruSa. We have that song already, but look at how different it is, cuz it is Uki's arrangement. If you want Ringo's arrangement listen to MM.

this album is, if anything, Ringo interpretted through the eyes of her friends, but still at its core music written by, for and featuring solo Shiina Ringo.
Old 2009.09.03, 03:49 PM   #39
Scribble R

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
I think your confusing ringo's writing versus the arrangement. ryuukou doesn't sound like maboroshi AT ALL, it sounds like Phase 2 Tokyo Jihen circa Adult. Probably cuz it was arranger by a former member of Jihen who left right before Adult was recorded...

the rest of the tracks all sound like the artists who appear in them cuz they were mostly arranged by the same said artist. Coba arranged his track, so didn't Soil and Pimp and all the other people. It has nothing to do with what Ringo's original song sounded like and more or less to do with who arranged it. Good example, MaruSa. We have that song already, but look at how different it is, cuz it is Uki's arrangement. If you want Ringo's arrangement listen to MM.

this album is, if anything, Ringo interpreted through the eyes of her friends, but still at its core music written by, for and featuring solo Shiina Ringo.
I'm not. The arrangement determines how the song sounds, obviously. They're not Shiina's arrangements, so the artists are bringing their 'sound' to the tracks. So they're more collaborations, in the same sense as Heisei Fusoku was Shiina Ringo x Saito Neko. Sanmon Gossip is "Ringo and Friends." You saying that 'it has nothing to do with what Ringo's original song sounded like and more to do with arranged it' goes with this.

Edit: Btw, is this how Ringo got SG out so quickly?

And anything Ringo writes for other artists would be 'Ringo interpreted through their eyes' anyway -- which is my point. If Saito Neko arranged Souretsu instead of Shiina Ringo...actually, let's not go there

(As I'm write this, I realise that I sound like I'm making excuses for SR and Sanmon Gossip. This is unintended, I assure you )

Last edited by Scribble R : 2009.09.03 at 04:01 PM.
Old 2009.09.03, 08:39 PM   #40
kuro_neko

I get your point. it does seem like spreading arrangements out so wide would speed up the production process. don't forget the entire album was produced by Bakeneko Killer (ringo and inoue) and some of the tracks were arranged by BK or Ringo along with whoever else was invited (like Ryuukou and Bonsai Hada).

I don't think we can really say what it would have sounded like arranged by Ringo or what Ringo's demos sounded like. Ringo almost never arranges her own music and the only track we have to judge by, Yokyou, we don't know about. The EXPO version is similar enough to the album that I'm assuming it was the same for both (minus some aspects), but I can't imagine some of these songs are terrible different as ringo's demos (except roudousha, I really wonder what that sounds like underneath all the crazy).