Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Music)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Music) Similar/Non-Related Artists

Old 2012.07.21, 02:06 AM   #11
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I am very much a newbie. I will definitely check out your recommendations!
Old 2012.07.21, 02:39 AM   #12
SoulExperience

SoulExperience is an asset to this community

I'm in a time machine for music atm. I have little interest in anything current...well, very few things.

Anyways, Frank Ocean's "Channel Orange" really captured me. I heard Sweet Life on the radio and knew he was locked in for sure, and the album was far from disappointing. It's one of the best things in terms of R&B that has occurred within the few years. I wont tl;dr here because I know no one here really listens to this kinda stuff. Either way, I really love it.

Aside from that, I'm currently stanning all of Azealia Banks' mixtapes.
SoulExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.21, 05:10 AM   #13
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by SoulExperience View Post
I wont tl;dr here because I know no one here really listens to this kinda stuff. Either way, I really love it.
That's not true... there's a real mix of tastes here, I reckon. tl;dr away.

I'll say more later (and when I've actually listened to more 2012 music -- this thread helps big time -- and can cobble together some sort of opinion.), but in the meanwhile, stand outs for me on channel orange are the opener (the song after the Playstation opening), Fertilizer, Lost, Pink Matter, Rich Kids are the strongest tracks. Pyramids doesn't quite live up to the 9:00 minute hype despite a promising first half in my mind.

I like Forest Gump simply on the basis that it's a simple teeny love track sung by a man about a man. It also surprises me that hearing a man sing about a male love interest is still so surprising in this day and age.

Oh, I do like Sweet Life, too, but it was the one track where I thought it could have done with a better vocalist to drive the point home. Maybe because it was the more familiar sounding track out of all the good ones, not counting the influences in Super Rich Kids

Last edited by Scribble R : 2012.07.21 at 05:15 AM.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.21, 07:01 AM   #14
Superficial Fan

Superficial Fan raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I am very much a newbie. I will definitely check out your recommendations!
I was always pretty TG-centric, so I would recommend starting with Throbbing Gristle's Heathen Earth and Once Upon a Time. The latter is definitely on the noisy but I think you'll find the rhythms pretty close to what you're hearing in Transverse. I'll have to think about what else I'd recommend.

Used to love this back in the 80s (from a mix tape someone who knew more about these things made me):

Cabaret Voltaire - Split Second Feelings

Incidentally, you could ask: how is this industrial and not post-punk? I think it's obviously both. (I would guess Tesla knows this material in much more detail than I do, actually.)

Last edited by Superficial Fan : 2012.07.21 at 07:57 AM.
Superficial Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.21, 07:22 AM   #15
Superficial Fan

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
That's not true... there's a real mix of tastes here, I reckon.
Yes, take a look at the genres covered already on this thread so far.
Old 2012.07.21, 12:47 PM   #16
SoulExperience

SoulExperience is an asset to this community

Originally Posted by Scribble R View Post
That's not true... there's a real mix of tastes here, I reckon. tl;dr away.

I'll say more later (and when I've actually listened to more 2012 music -- this thread helps big time -- and can cobble together some sort of opinion.), but in the meanwhile, stand outs for me on channel orange are the opener (the song after the Playstation opening), Fertilizer, Lost, Pink Matter, Rich Kids are the strongest tracks. Pyramids doesn't quite live up to the 9:00 minute hype despite a promising first half in my mind.

I like Forest Gump simply on the basis that it's a simple teeny love track sung by a man about a man. It also surprises me that hearing a man sing about a male love interest is still so surprising in this day and age.

Oh, I do like Sweet Life, too, but it was the one track where I thought it could have done with a better vocalist to drive the point home. Maybe because it was the more familiar sounding track out of all the good ones, not counting the influences in Super Rich Kids
Most of the time, it's a mix that doesn't include this kind of music. but you know whatever, at least I'm finally not the only one.

CO reminds me of older r&b albums lyrically. A lot of r&b has turned into complete raunch fests about grinding and blah blah blah, but this one takes it back to simple lyrics about love lives that aren't fully about the drama. Not only that but he takes things that I think a lot of people feel but don't know how to express, and Frank does so beautifully.

My favorite tracks are definitely Sweet life, Super Rich Kids, Bad Religion, Monks, Pink Matter, and Forrest Gump. They're all smooth, have good melodies, and have really nice little story telling like lyrics.

Pyramids didn't need to be like 9 minutes. That's all that needs to be said on that. Its okay, but it's not worthy of almost 10 minutes. I was really bored trying to make it through the entire thing.

Okay I'm not going to go much farther because now I'm lazy, but it's a great album and it's definitely one of the best to come out so far. All of my friends who never listen to anything in that range really loved it. It's overall just pleasing to the ear, and worthy of owning or at least having one listen.
SoulExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.07.21, 01:00 PM   #17
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I mentioned Channel Orange in my write up ='(
Old 2012.07.21, 04:31 PM   #18
Superficial Fan

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I mentioned Channel Orange in my write up ='(
Oops. We didn't know it was going to be on the test.
Old 2012.07.21, 06:41 PM   #19
Tokyo Jihad

='(
Old 2012.07.23, 04:42 PM   #20
hoopra

hoopra raises the standards of what a community can offer

i really like frank ocean's channel orange, especially the track "lost", dude is a great song writer
hoopra is offline   Reply With Quote