Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2016.02.04, 07:01 PM   #21
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Best Shiina single since Ariamaru Tomi, and B-side is indeed the best arrangement of Karisome Otome I've heard

This is an incarnation of old-lady!Shiina I can get behind
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.04, 07:05 PM   #22
The Most Curious Thing

The Most Curious Thing raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
Alt+0151—you're killing me here

(good review though)
The Most Curious Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.04, 07:18 PM   #23
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

The B side is definitely reminiscent of Karisome Otome, but personally, I don't find it to be overpoweringly so. It's different enough that I can enjoy it on its own merits. Although, the vocals are certainly part of that, and for that reason this one actually might be more distracting if Ringo did sing it. (I still want her to sing it though! )

The only comment I would add to deadgrandma's review is that, as someone who has listened to the vast majority of Hayashibara Megumi's output (she's sung somewhere around ~350 unique songs, and I own the CDs to maybe ~225 of them), I can confirm it's definitely one of the best songs she's done.

I don't think Megumi's vocals are at all mismatched to the song. IMO, the difference between this song and Usurai Shinju, in terms of vocals, is that with Usurai Shinju, the song actually manages to make her sound like she has a lot more vocal power that she is holding back. This song sounds a lot more straightforward.

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2016.02.04 at 07:31 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.02.05, 11:42 AM   #24
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Guys, dudes, ladies... Usurai Shinju is my jam. Combines the best bits of Meisai and Tengoku e Youkoso for something super hot.

B-side is uber shit though.
Old 2016.02.05, 08:16 PM   #25
Entry№1

Entry№1 puts considerable thought into their posts
Thumbs up

Aside from the obvious "Karisome Otome" comparison, melodically, "Gare wa Kuchinashi" also reminds me of "Kodomo no Joukei". I don't know if this is a song that will grow on me, but I have to give it props for sounding so completely different than anything I've ever heard before. The rhythm is intense (not just in terms of the "stabs", but also the meter), and the abrupt alterations between the tango parts and the lullaby-ish parts are very daring and inventive. In that aspect, it is akin to the live version of "Anya no Shinjuutate" with its jarring/abrupt horn interludes.

As for "Usurai Shinju", I'm really excited to hear Ringo return to that 1940's sound she's played with before on Doku Ichigo. I love the vibraphone, manic ride cymbals, and the piano work is top-notch as always. However, the arrangement itself is pretty straightforward jazz and not really that groundbreaking.

Like I get Ringo's aiming for brevity, but it would have been cool to have a song longer than 3 minutes on it. Solid single nonetheless.

EDIT: Not even going to address Megumi's vocals
Old 2016.02.05, 11:32 PM   #26
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
EDIT: Not even going to address Megumi's vocals
She may not be a great singer, but I still say Ringo deserves a lot of credit for making it sound as good as it does, given what she had to work with...
Old 2016.02.06, 09:07 AM   #27
K__

K__ has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
Aside from the obvious "Karisome Otome" comparison, melodically, "Gare wa Kuchinashi" also reminds me of "Kodomo no Joukei". I don't know if this is a song that will grow on me, but I have to give it props for sounding so completely different than anything I've ever heard before. The rhythm is intense (not just in terms of the "stabs", but also the meter), and the abrupt alterations between the tango parts and the lullaby-ish parts are very daring and inventive. In that aspect, it is akin to the live version of "Anya no Shinjuutate" with its jarring/abrupt horn interludes.

You've articulated it wonderfully. I can't contribute much more to this aside from the fact that I adore the chord progression in the little piano section at the start that gets reprised with a violin about a halfway in. The rest of it is very tango/latin jazz tinged but those bits are very soul/gospel for Ringo. Obviously not at the tempo they're played but I could easily see that kind of thing being sampled in a hip hop track. (In fact, I might just have to.)

Not much else to say about Usurai Shinju. Hayashibara's delivery has grown on me a tiny bit for the "sexy" factor since she's practically whispering it into the microphone but it still doesn't really do much for me, and while I've always appreciated Ringo's forays into jazz, it's still way too big band swing jazz for my tastes. I'd love to hear her take a shot at something a bit more bebop.
K__ is offline   Reply With Quote