Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Other > Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) Post about movies, TV shows, video games, and other media.

Old 2007.08.14, 03:23 AM   #1
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal
Default The 24 thread

Most writers are nervous about the plotting of the first season. The first season of 24 went into shooting with only 12 episodes planned out, because they didn't think it would stay on the air for much longer. The whole second half of the season was made up as it went along.

They may have had the whole of the Lost ark set out from beginning to end, but it's mainly plotting that's a problem. They didn't have a time-frame so they didn't even know if they could finish their story, but they couldn't shove everything into one season neither. Luckily it got picked up after it's huge success, and they really started digging into the mythology (Season one had a LOT of character development). That is why they asked ABC for an end date, because they need to know the timeframe in which they can plot the rest of the show.

Edit: This wasn't started as a thread, but was moved into it's own '24' thread as a different thread had gotten slightly off-topic, which is why it may not start off as the beginnings of a thread.

Last edited by Inaudible-Whisper : 2008.03.23 at 09:04 PM.
Inaudible-Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.18, 02:46 PM   #2
fluffiethesock

fluffiethesock puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper View Post
The first season of 24 went into shooting with only 12 episodes planned out,

I've heard the same thing about season one. The funny thing is, that season felt very solid and complete, while the second half of season 6 seemed like they just threw random events into it each week. I actually started out loving season 6, feeling that it could actually end up being my favorite, but by the end I thought it was the worst. :-|
fluffiethesock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.18, 03:56 PM   #3
Inaudible-Whisper

Inaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medalInaudible-Whisper deserves a fucking medal

Yeah, I agree. Season 6 is the worst season so far. I expect good things from Season 7. They wrote the whole script, then scrapped the whole thing as it wasn't good enough and they couldn't find a suitable filming place. It was to be set in Africa.

Apparently they're starting from scratch next season with Jack and Chloe being the only returning characters set in Washington. Season 6 was to end with a surprise entrance by Tony but that was cancelled as it was leaked onto the net. I expect him to turn up in Season 7, and despite the fact that it would be borderline ridiculous, I'd welcome it as It'd be nice to see a familiar face that is likeable.
Old 2007.08.18, 05:45 PM   #4
fluffiethesock

Tony.. *sigh*
I was following that rumor like a crazed man. I checked online every few hours some days, starting about four weeks before the finale, just to see if there were any Tony updates. The day they announced that there were three possible endings, I felt my heart sink a bit. I still wanted to believe that they'd choose the fan-friendly finale, but when that final scene came on tv, I felt dead inside. It was a good ending, but it certainly was disappointing.

I'm a little worried about the whole scrapping-the-story-halfway-through-production thing. It's cool that they didn't want to put poop on tv again, but in my mind it's a bit frightening that they now have to write a good story in half the time. I hope these guys work well under pressure.

One last thing -- they need to get rid of Chloe soon. I don't want her to die, because killing main characters has actually become the cliched thing to do in 24, but I'm really getting tired of her. It's like they're afraid to write her out of the script because they don't think they can replace her with a new, well-developed character. Which seems to be their main problem these days. Feel free to let just one good character besides Jack live, 24 writers!
Old 2007.08.18, 05:56 PM   #5
Inaudible-Whisper

I agree with everything you said. I wouldn't like Chloe to die, and I like her, but it seems like now she's just a pawn to bring forward, even when it's not necessary.

At first she was annoying as hell, then everybody grew to like her, and now it's like they just add her to the story.. just cos she's Chloe. I actually like her company in 24, sometimes it's nice to see a familiar face, which I guess is why I craved Tony or David Palmer in Season 6, but they need to at least keep her back a bit more. And in particular her relationship with Morris (Stoopid Brit). Having said that, there's something about "Jack and Chloe Vs. Da Bad Guys!!!" that makes me smile.

And as much as I hate the character Kim Bauer, I actually miss the naivety of the situations she got herself into. I didn't like the way she was handled in season 5 (Not the cameo role, but the whole old beard man thing was just weird) and Elisha Cuthbert is hawt...

Last edited by Inaudible-Whisper : 2007.08.18 at 05:59 PM.
Inaudible-Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.19, 02:16 AM   #6
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I have only seen season 5 and 6 and I hated her all the way through.

Ah, by they way, what's the best season to watch next?
Well, the first of course, but which is the best?

MyAnimelist
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.19, 03:17 AM   #7
Inaudible-Whisper

The first 4 really change for a lot of people, quality wise. I think the first 2 are a safe bet. Lot's of people class 2 as the best, myself included.
Old 2007.08.19, 03:37 AM   #8
golem09

golem09 deserves a fucking medal

I loved season 5, because of the president and his wife. All scenes in the white house were great.

I think there should be a 24 Thread for this^^

MyAnimelist

Last edited by golem09 : 2007.08.19 at 03:44 AM.
golem09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.19, 03:48 AM   #9
Kasanagi

Kasanagi has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Yea season 5 was awsome, and yea, they need to get rid of Chole, as cool in an annoying way as she is, she's getting a little too one dimensional. Maybe she could just move to another agency and have cameo appearances every now and then.

I had pretty high hopes for season 6 when Jack came back from China looking like a Kung fu master, long beard and all. but... meh.
Old 2007.08.24, 06:27 AM   #10
fluffiethesock

Originally Posted by golem09 View Post
I have only seen season 5 and 6 and I hated her all the way through.

Ah, by they way, what's the best season to watch next?
Well, the first of course, but which is the best?
Season one has the best story overall.. it actually covers the whole season. My order is this:

a) 4
b) 2
c) 3
d) 1
e) 5
f) 6

Like I said earlier, season 6 started off really strong, but by the end it was like they were making the show by pooping on the camera.