Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.

Old 2007.10.01, 04:58 PM   #1
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer
Default Is an album REAL?: The Video Clip Statistics can-of-worms

Under this system (that I somewhat pulled out of my ass),

1.) Any PV exclusive to a single version of a song, is worth 3 points.
This creates buzz for an upcoming album release by giving people a taste of the composition, but not the arrangement, and makes the album and singles more mutually collectible.

2.) Any PV exclusive to an album version of a song, is worth 5 points.
It's a rarely carried out practice in Japan's music industry which proves an upcoming album has something good in store for you, that you haven't already heard, and it means they're keeping things fresh.

3.) Any PV of a song version mutual toward an album and a single, is worth a 1 point penalty.
People not only already know what to expect, but chances are they've played the single(s) to death already.

4.) Any PV of a preceding B-Side is worth a 2 point penalty.
Promotion efforts should've been more focused on the album. They should've either made a PV for another song that was actually on the album, or the B-Side that they thought was worth a PV, should've been on a track included on the album.

5.) Post-album PVs (of alternate track versions) that promote their own sales rather than the album, are worth a 1 point penalty.
This is almost as wasteful of a practice as producing PVs for B-Sides, and shows that producers aren't taking the album as seriously as they could be.

Muzai Moratorium:
Album Exclusives PVs: 1 (Tsumiki Asobi)
Single Exclusives PVs: 1 (Koufukuron)
PV Versions Mutual to Single & Album: 2 (Kabuki-cho no Joou, Koko de Kiss Shite.)
B-Sides: 0

Shouso Strip:
Album Exclusives: 2 (Yami ni Furu Ame and Identity)
Single Exclusives: 0
PV Versions Mutual to Single & Album: 3 (Honnou, Gips, Tsumi to Batsu)
B-Sides: 1 (Sigma)

Utaite Myoli:
No PVs whatsoever.
Nobody is fooling themselves into thinking this is a 'real' album, but many of us love it anyway.

KSK:
Album Exclusives: 1 (Meisai)
Single Exclusives: 1 (Yattsuke Shigoto, Stem)
PV Versions Mutual to Single & Album: 0

Kyoiku:
Album Exclusives: 1 (Service)
Single Exclusives: 1 (Ringo no Uta)
PV Versions Mutual to Single & Album: 2 (Gunjou Biyori, Sounan)
B-Sides: 2 (Lady Is A Tramp, Dynamite)

Adult:
Album Exclusives: 1 (Kenka Joutou - Kabuki is not a complete PV)
Single Exclusives: 1 (Shuraba)
Exclusive to PV: 2 (Himitsu, Tasogare Naki)
PV Versions Mutual to Single & Album: 0
B-Sides: 1 (Koi wa Maboroshi)

Heisei Fuuzoku:
Album Exclusives: 0 (unless you count motion graphics that came out many months later and couldn't be used to actually promote the CD)
PV Versions Mutual to Single & Album: 1 (Kono Yo no Kagiri)

Variety:
Album Exclusives: 0
PV Versions Mutual to Single & Album: 2 (OSCA, Killer Tune)

Final Scores:
KSK: 11 8
Muzai Moratorium: 6
Shouso Strip: 5
Adult: 4
Kyoiku: 2
Utaite Myoli: 0
Heisei Fuuzoku: -1
Variety: -2

This might coincidently reflect the rankings of how well-received these albums are within this community. This isn't necessarily intended to imply that "real = good". This is gauging how seriously Shiina Ringo (and/or the studio executives) thought an album could be promotable solely on its own weight.

There's bound to be some debate about whether or not Shouso Strip should've ranked higher than Muzai Moratorium. My personal stance is that Shouso Strip was mostly power singles slapped together, very much like a "Greatest Hits" of songs we've barely or never heard before, many of which were already written (but not-yet-released) before Muzai Moratorium even came out.

Utaite Myoli stayed at zero (neutral) because nobody dared to produce any PVs for it, in which case it would've been docked lots of points. Compared to some of the recent 'fake' albums, Utaite Myoli is generally more well-received because we prefer hearing Shiina Ringo's take on compositions we've never heard her perform before, yet at the same time those compositions were worthy of having already been released by other artists instead of hoarded.

Nobody would argue against KSK being the most genuine album. I'm not really counting the Ichijiku no Hana PV for or against it, because they're mostly separate deals if Ichijiku no Hana came out as a bonus single after the album was released. When any version of the Ichijiku no Hana PV came out, it was bundled with a CD track of the song! You had to buy the Adult Video Soundtrack separately from Adult Video and it was only available on vinyl.

Adult of course ranked higher than Kyoiku. Whether or not I like the individual songs better, Adult sounds more like the songs were meant to be heard together, and it has high production values. Kyoiku lost more points from nonunique album versions of singles and B-Sides hogging too many of the PVs, than the few points Adult lost from post-album PVs of alternate versions of the songs that we couldn't even get on CD. That's almost as wasteful as making PVs for two B-Side covers.

Heisei Fuuzoku was built almost entirely on compositions we'd already heard before, and only one of the very few new songs, got a real PV, and it was the same song version on the album and the single, and hardly sounds like it even fits on the album (oddly enough even Oiran fits in more). The single was arguably more valuable than the album because every composition in it was never-before-released on CD. If Karisome Otome were released as its own single with B-Sides for both of the alternate versions of itself, then the Kono Yo no Kagiri single could've included Oiran instead, and then there'd be hardly anything new to buy the album for, and all the 'haters' (who still collect anyway) could've had a way to cut their losses. Why didn't Karisome Otome get an official (fully circulatible) PV?

Variety was built on songs that were already composed, but that we'd never heard before (because appearantly they weren't worth any artist releasing before - unlike Utaite Myoli), and with fresh arrangements. Shiina Ringo didn't waste much time between Muzai Moratorium and Shouso Strip, so even if Shouso Strip doesn't flow so much like an album, at least the songs were worth releasing fairly quickly, instead of sitting on. To give Variety credit, at least none of the B-Sides got PVs, though if they did, those B-Sides probably should've been on the album instead (and arguably they should be anyway).

Closing Statement:
I have nothing against Shiina Ringo (or other members of Tokyo Jihen) re-arranging their own compositions, because in a way it keeps things fresh - but I would much rather that they do it in the form of concert performances instead of album releases (you go to concerts expecting to hear compositions you've heard before - but with the energy of a live performance - and rearrangements unique to a concert are always worth bonus points). It sort of makes the concert "more fresh", but can only make a 'new' album track "less fresh". I'm neutral about B-Sides doing this.

*edit*
Updated points on KSK.

Last edited by Glathannus : 2007.10.01 at 05:32 PM.
Glathannus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.01, 05:00 PM   #2
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Variety is not an album confirmed. Were still bating 1.000 guys!

I dunno, counting Yattsuke for KZK i think is kind of a huge stretch since it was to promote ZCS.

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2007.10.01 at 05:08 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.01, 05:13 PM   #3
HEDOfloe

HEDOfloe puts considerable thought into their posts

While your reasons for the points make sense, this is not a gauge of what is an album or not so I think you should have titled the thread differently.
HEDOfloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.01, 05:14 PM   #4
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I dunno, counting Yattsuke for KZK i think is kind of a huge stretch since it was to promote ZCS.
I thought long and hard about that.
Effectively the PV pays homage to both versions of Yattsuke Shigoto when the album includes the news introduction, but the ZCS track doesn't.
Old 2007.10.01, 05:16 PM   #5
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

but it was retroactive. The PV couldnt pay homage to a rendition that didnt yet exist.
Plus, the pv predates the KZK ver for a solid year (plus, i forget the dates)
Old 2007.10.01, 05:18 PM   #6
Glathannus
True Final Boss

So even if we retracted the Yattsuke Shigoto points from KSK, it still comes out ahead at 8.
(which is probably more realistic otherwise it totals to be as much as Muzai Moratorium and Shouso Strip combined)
Old 2007.10.01, 05:19 PM   #7
Tokyo Jihad

exactly, theres no qualms at all about that.
Old 2007.10.01, 05:28 PM   #8
badtzmaru

badtzmaru has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Ohh, this is a very interesting and well-thought up theory! @_@

I think "Ichijiku no Hana" deserves more bonus points, but I guess it would make the scores even more unfair. >_<

What is Kyoiku's single exclusive PV? It's not "Kurumaya-san," is it? o_o Isn't there also a PV for "Crawl"? (I'm not sure, I don't have Dynamite In.)

I just now realized after reading your post that Variety didn't release any album exclusive PVs! That's really too bad. I still don't understand that Senkou Shoujo DVD yet, so it'd be awesome if there were some PV exclusives on it! (I wouldn't mind post-album PVs, either. o_o)

I agree with you that I'd rather they re-arrange songs for concerts than album releases. Hmm, I guess that makes me not like Heisei Fuuzoku, then. @_@;;
Old 2007.10.01, 05:33 PM   #9
Op2
Banned

Op2 is headed in the right direction

Meisei was a b-side. Regardless of track order, it is still a b-side. The arrangement of Meisei is the exact same as the album version.

"2.) Any PV exclusive to an album version of a song, is worth 5 points.
It's a rarely carried out practice in Japan's music industry which proves an upcoming album has something good in store for you, that you haven't already heard, and it means they're keeping things fresh."

Meisei wasn't fresh because its arrangement was already featured on the single STEM.
Op2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.01, 05:35 PM   #10
Tokyo Jihad

technically....

Well, really, the b-side ver is single exclusive and the album ver (depicted in the pv) isalbum exclusive... eh.