Go Back   Electric Mole Forums > Shiina Ringo & Tokyo Jihen > Main Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Forum The place for general discussion. Old news and speculation, polls, trivia, memorabilia, favorite songs, and so on.
Closed Thread

Old 2008.05.26, 07:53 PM   #181
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Cuz its perfect the way it is.

I really dislike the whole re-releasing, officially, songs with different arrangements. I'm all for re-doing arrangements in live shows, thats great, it keeps things interesting and fresh. But re-doing songs, putting out records of records we've heard before is no different than George Lucas going back and adding and changing shit in the original Star Wars trilogy. The phrase used there for Lucas is "destroying your childhood." and for some of us it has been since childhood (in a loose definition.) If you're already dreaming up new arrangements, hey why not go the extra yard and make a new song rather than just adulterating songs we already know and love.

Mellow is perfect. Don't fuck it up. And if she does,then its assuredly going tobe worse? How do I know? My first statement in this paragraph.
Old 2008.05.26, 08:35 PM   #182
cjhobbies00

cjhobbies00 puts considerable thought into their posts

Don't stress yourself out TJ, I'm pretty sure that Mellow is gonna remained untouched, she didn't go through the trouble of writing new songs or rearranging the other tracks, why would she do so for Mellow.

And don't compare Shiina's "reimaginings" of her past oeuvres with the crap fest that is the "Star Wars redux trilogy." There was enjoyment to be had in HF, the same can't be said for episode I-III.

is a record of rearrangements disappointing? Absolutely. But songs aren't movies, just take each version as it comes and try to see the songs on their own merits.

And pray to God that a real solo album is coming.

The man who does not listen to good music has no advantage over the man who is deaf.
-bastardized Twain quote.
http://www.last.fm/user/cjhobbies00
Old 2008.05.27, 03:38 AM   #183
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by justriiingo View Post
If the music is mediocre and soul-less, no amount of good equipment, recording and mastering techniques would help make it any better. Sometimes a demo recorded on a cheap voice recorder can sound so alluring, just because of the emotion put into performing it.
Totally agree. John Lomax's field recordings of Delta blues in the '30's have more soul than 99% of what comes out of major recording studios.
Old 2008.05.27, 05:11 AM   #184
TeslaGuy
apathy enthusiast

TeslaGuy knows what you did last summerTeslaGuy knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
I really dislike the whole re-releasing, officially, songs with different arrangements. I'm all for re-doing arrangements in live shows, thats great, it keeps things interesting and fresh. But re-doing songs, putting out records of records we've heard before is no different than George Lucas going back and adding and changing shit in the original Star Wars trilogy.
In principle I agree with most everything you said. But an artist does always have the right to re-examine past work, and the results can be fascinating and enlightening, allowing the observer to witness the evolution of the artist's perspective over time. Matisse's "Back" series, done over 30 years, I find to be an excellent example.

The key thing is that the newer work must always complement, and never replace the original. And they never ever have any reason to be on a retrospective compilation. Unfortunately, record companies enjoy doing this as a marketing tool, figuring they can lure the completist into buying material they already own by warping one signature track.
Make a remix a bonus track, maybe, but please never substitute it for the original. That is unforgivably tampering with the past.
Old 2008.05.27, 07:09 AM   #185
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

random: for those of us that own zecchoshu I was wondering how people ripped it? I own it but was unable to rip it, the tracks I have are only 128kphs, I had to find them on some website a while ago, because my cdrom can't load the small discs. same with the original koufukuron single. anyone got better copies?
Old 2008.05.27, 09:54 AM   #186
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
random: for those of us that own zecchoshu I was wondering how people ripped it? I own it but was unable to rip it, the tracks I have are only 128kphs, I had to find them on some website a while ago, because my cdrom can't load the small discs. same with the original koufukuron single. anyone got better copies?
Personally I used...
Plexwriter Premium (CD drive)
Exact Audio Copy (ripping software)
WavPack (commandline encoder)

The truth is you don't need anything anywhere near that... elitist.

Most CD-ROM drives can load the smaller discs - DVD-ROM drives can usually handle it too. There's an inner-ring of the drive tray specifically for that purpose. And laptop CD/DVD drives shouldn't care about the size of the disc because it snaps into the center (assuming you aren't using a caddy loader) all-the-same. If you're stuck with a caddy-loading laptop drive, then I'd advise you to get your hands on an external tray-based CD/DVD drive, because you may end up with 8cm CDs for other artists I don't collect, so at least you'll be able to rip those and your Shiina Ringo CDs the specific way you want.
Old 2008.05.27, 12:58 PM   #187
Yahiko

Yahiko puts considerable thought into their posts

ok, ok, tokyo jihad if she do a version you dislike, I come here and post the PV with the original mellow audio and you just pretend theres no new mellow!

Yoeko Kurahashi?
Old 2008.05.27, 04:22 PM   #188
alleon86

alleon86 is headed in the right direction

it better be a new version of mellow or ill be kinda dissapointed
Old 2008.05.27, 04:32 PM   #189
natsume

natsume is an asset to this community

How about old version for the CD, new version for the PV. Should keep everybody happy (in a relatively happy kind of way).
Old 2008.05.27, 05:06 PM   #190
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

1 ver of Mellow
the zcs ver is grande enough to be immortalized on a PV